Installing Extensions/Styles through ACP

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/

Status

Ticket: PHPBB3-11150
FlyerUA

Re: Installing MODs/Styles through ACP

Post by FlyerUA »

Oh oh, I so for this idea, Current mod system is really weak point of phpbb. It's horrible. I mean, editing code to enable some feature is kinda cumbersome. As someone stated earlier, they way WP does it far more superior.
Skhilled44

Post by Skhilled44 »

WP is not the only one who has implemented this feature. I've used SMF and other forums/CMS (beta testing for a lot of software) for years and they can do it as well...very well. However, mods and styles should to have coding guidelines so that they will install as expected for this to work. Those that do not meet the guidelines should be rejected for their respective customization databases...or a note is attached to the mod/style saying it doesn't and may or may not autoinstall well and may need manualy editing.

SMF also has a feature that provides the manual edits need per SMF version on the download page for each mod! Yes, you can set it to a specific SMF version and see the code edits needed BEFORE you download the mod!

Actually, I'm surprised that utilities such as AutoMod, etc. are not fully integrated into the code already. It would make things much easier for coders and would also entice them to get more involved as well as getting more people want to use phpBB, in general. If you make things easier, you get more people to want to try it...most are busy enough with RL and just keeping up with their forum users to have to make code edits and uploads for things that should be a simple process.
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Post by Big Mac »

I really like this idea.
DavidIQ wrote:Right...and (most) everyone agrees with the OP. All I'm pointing out is that this is not really a new idea and has been discussed, at length, over on Area 51. It is not likely that 3.1 will see such a "search and install" system for extensions/styles unless someone in the community puts in the time to both update the CDB and create the area in the ACP for this in the next month or two. My comment on Area 51 regarding MODs pertains to editing files, which is the current status quo, and that comment still stands.
I know you are saying this is problematic, but I'm not quite sure on why you say this needs to be done in the next two months.

Are you saying that the fundamental workings of the ACP will need to be locked down for 3.1.0 and that, if this concept misses the first version of 3.1.x it will be impossible to retro-fit something like this?

I think that 3.1.0 needs to get out and about, so that mods can be created in the first place. But if it would be possible for this to come in with a later version, I would like to see mod creators get given the instructions to help it happen.

At the very least, I would like to see the two concepts that the OP proposed (installing MODs via the ACP and installing styles via the ACP) split up, so that there is a chance that one of them might make it to 3.1.0 (or 3.1.x).

If all else fails :cry: please could this get implemented in 3.2. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

It is about the CDB being ready for it (it isn't). MOD/Extension authors wouldn't be doing anything. ;)
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

This is a must have in this time and age, and will make running phpbb much easier.
I have tried to follow the PR but it seems abandoned?
I know that there is an extension doing this as well, but it should be part of core - both for security and compatibility reasons.
DavidIQ

Re: Installing Extensions/Styles through ACP

Post by DavidIQ »

Title updated to reflect the current state of affairs, i.e. Extensions instead of MODs.

This is still in progress and there isn't a pull request to follow. If there is a desire to follow progress then the ticket will be the source for that.
nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by nicofuma »

It has actually been merged. We are still improving it and fixing some bug but the feature should be released with phpBB 3.3.0.
Member of phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Is this update only related to extensions and styles? I would suggest to include also language packs for both the core and for extensions.
Uploading language packs to extension can already be done by the Upload Extensions extension by LavIgor:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
So hopefully a similar function will be available for the new core feature.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by nicofuma »

Langages packs and styles are also planned but not right away; We want to test and improve the solution with the extensions first.
Member of phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

People that use other languages that are not present in the extension still need to manually add the language.
Or copy/rename the style ..

I think it's good the way it is right now. 8-)
Why making people to lazy .... :lol:
steve1200
Name: Steven Davis

Post by steve1200 »

This is a super idea and would be a great addition for phpBB. I have two websites, one that running phpBB since September 2017 and one running WordPress since April 2016. I started the second site with phpBB because I did not like the WordPress BBPress forum plugin. There are many things phpBB does better than WordPress especially with users, permissions and board settings.

WordPress plugin installation is not only easy, you are notified if a plugin has been updated and given the option to update when logged into the dashboard. Note the display gives the current version as well. Implementing a program like this requires a number of resources such as rules for the hooks and how they work.In any case, updates do not occur until an admin logs in to the dashboard. After login a little red plus sign appears indicating any plugins that need updating. Some WordPress plugins keep track of donations and let you know if you have not contributed.
wp-1.JPG
While I think this is a great idea, I also think it will take a lot of work to implement. That said, WordPress passes plugin updates back to the plugin author. They have some software checks to automate the process mentioned in this link for Updating_Your_Plugin.
Nerox9

Post by Nerox9 »

That would be good and easy to use instead of downloading every singel style or extension.
TWEagle

Post by TWEagle »

I still like this idea
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Has been merged into the master branch (3.3.0-dev)
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/3909
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I'm not sure if to mark this as implemented or not since styles are not yet supported by this feature and I don't think they can be with the present status-quo of styles packaging. The RFC and discussion topics linked to in the idea refer only to Extensions being installable though...

Return to “phpBB Ideas”