New PM Management

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

New PM Management

Post by D@ve »

In times of terrabyte harddisks the limiting of the amount of PMs is quite senseless. I always switch that of. But I have about 10.000 PMs at my board and its really a pain in the butt if you need to find a certain PM.

Better would be

a) Completely redesign the PM View
Go to a thread-orientated view per User (like Facebook) instead of Just an inbox

b) Allowing the users to organize their PMs in folders

But imo a) would bemuch better and much easier (no need to change the DB-Design) it's just a display thing (and you could even allow to switch between the current kind of view)

And please please please remove the "feature" that PMs that are deleted by the author are still displayed in the inbox of the receiver.

regards, Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
AmigoJack

Re: New PM Management

Post by AmigoJack »

D@ve wrote:terra
Tera. Terra can be avoided by thinking on gigga, megga and killo.

b) is already available: UCP > Private messages > Rules, folders & settings > Folder options > Add folder.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

D@ve wrote:And please please please remove the "feature" that PMs that are deleted by the author are still displayed in the inbox of the receiver.
That option already exists as long as the recipient hasn't opened the PM yet. Deleting it afterwards would be wrong.
Entropy is maintenance free.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve,

This feature is already present, might be you have to configure it from ACP, but I understand you: I had a bit of problems till familiarizing with. But once understood its "philosophy" it is very powerful and work quite well.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

At the very least we need a way to search PM's.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Personally I voted +1 for this feature, but I agree with the green text:
Floyd wrote:
D@ve wrote:And please please please remove the "feature" that PMs that are deleted by the author are still displayed in the inbox of the receiver.
That option already exists as long as the recipient hasn't opened the PM yet. Deleting it afterwards would be wrong.
I agree with because if a user wants to conserve a received message (after reading it) (s)he has the right to conserve it, for any evenience.
Scenario:
Suppose that a user sends a PM to another and into the messages are contained menaces or offenses. If the sender delete the message and it is deleted into the recipient too, the receiver doesn't have any proof to send to admin to sanction the sender.

==========

For the following idea:
keith10456 wrote:At the very least we need a way to search PM's.
+1 for this
View discuss and vote it at:
Search box for PM inbox outbox and sent messages
or
viewtopic.php?t=2211366
Last edited by peopleopinion on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

I was aware of b) the second I clicked on "submit", but you cant edit the ideas (at least I haven't found the edit button).

But the actual idea is a): A facebook like PM-Management... Like a "Thread" for each user.
No it isn't. If the sender delets a message, the recipient hasn't read the latter gets this kind of shadow message.
My question is: Why?
It's completley senseless...

But well, thats another issue...
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve wrote:PM-Management... Like a "Thread" for each user.
IMHO it is a must have because it facilitate a lot following a PM discussion especially in case it is complex, that is when it is constituted by a bunch of PM regarding the same users and subject.

What about of a layout similar to public topics but with the feature that is private conversation?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

When reading or composing a PM you already have the history of all previous PMs - this was mostly enough to me and I'm storing ~3500 PMs.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

When reading or composing a PM you already have the history of all previous PMs
No its just the PMs with the same topic.

But yes, actually the functionality is almost completly there... You just need...
...a view that is a little bit more up to date (like Facebook or a thread)
...an overview with the last "threads" (grouped by user)

As in facebook, there is no need to display every single Message in the PM template. Just one "Thread" for each user.
And I wouldn't care if it will look like the normal thread template of the forum.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve wrote:
When reading or composing a PM you already have the history of all previous PMs
No its just the PMs with the same topic.

But yes, actually the functionality is almost completly there... You just need...
...a view that is a little bit more up to date (like Facebook or a thread)
...an overview with the last "threads" (grouped by user)

As in facebook, there is no need to display every single Message in the PM template. Just one "Thread" for each user.
And I wouldn't care if it will look like the normal thread template of the forum.
Could be useful the following too?
... a little search box to search into the PMs body text and subjects:
viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2211366

Return to “phpBB Ideas”