Removing old PMs

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
ingeva

Removing old PMs

Post by ingeva » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:57 pm

There are a couiple of posts about PMs here, but none seem to consider the fact that PMs are never deleted from the database. I think this is very unfortunate.

I have installed a MOD to moderate/delete PMs, but am unable to use it because there's no menu for it. Also, when old PMs are to be deleted, it shouldn't be necessary, or even allowed, to see them. All that's required is that the sender and/or receiver has deleted them.

There's talk about Terabyte disks here, having plenty of room - but really, that shouldn't be the issue. However, users should feel confident that PMs which are no longer current, are really deleted. Some might contain incorrect or sensitive information, and it should be possible to eliminate the risk of spreading such information.
Besides, when a database grows to be quite large, it may become impossible to make backups because of timeout issues - and some wehbosts allow only to use a certain amount of disk space.

Personally I'm not sure that I can delete PMs from the database directly without creating trouble for myself and the users, and I guess that most board owners feel the same way.

----------

View idea at: Removing old PMs

Posted by ingeva
inge
Admin for phpbb.no
The key to success: Linux Mint

AmigoJack

Re: Removing old PMs

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:59 am

ingeva wrote:PMs are never deleted from the database
They are, if a PM has no more participants. If you mean instead "pruned automatically" then it should be a setting per account, as i.e. I do want them to live on forever.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

king577

Post by king577 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:00 pm

good! (:
Sorry for the mistakes I do from time to time in English. This is not my native language. I am trying to improve my English, so please notify me about any mistakes I make. Thanks! :)

D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:12 pm

but none seem to consider the fact that PMs are never deleted from the database. I think this is very unfortunate.
Why?
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB

Return to “phpBB Ideas”