Facebook like chat in core phpbb installation?

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Facebook like chat in core phpbb installation?

Post by peopleopinion » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:56 pm

What about to add a popup facebook like chat in core phpbb installation?
So memeber (and -why not- non members) can popup the chat and communicate with other on line users instantly and more quickly than PM.

----------

View idea at: Facebook like chat in core phpbb installation?

Posted by peopleopinion
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: Facebook like chat in core phpbb installation?

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Sounds like a great extension.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Paul wrote:Sounds like a great extension.
I think "great" is a bit of an exaggeration. ;)

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:45 pm

I second that.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:44 am

Sorry I don't understand why you says
but at the same time you voted contrary?
I'm confused :?
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:59 am

peopleopinion wrote:Sorry I don't understand why you says
but at the same time you voted contrary?
I'm confused :?
We don't want that in the core, we want it to be an Extension (like a MOD) instead.

phpBB != FB

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:phpBB != FB
Absolutely I agree with this. And more: I think that for certain aspects phpbb is better than fb but viceversa for others.

And phpbb has lots of features in common with fb as well as other cms. For example it is possible in fb make friendship with other users, in phpbb too. So I think that a chat will be useful in phpbb too... of course will be an admin choice to activate it or not from the ACP and how to set it up, where to show etc.

A Clarification:
For "facebook like" I meant a normal chat that pops up from a configurable side of the page that shows on line friends to talk with "on the fly".
for example this mod:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... w_version/

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:59 pm

We know what you meant and it would still be better as an Extension rather than in the core, imho.

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:08 pm

No, it doesn't need to be part of core. It's better as an extension.
Last edited by Jessica on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:06 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:We know what you meant and it would still be better as an Extension rather than in the core, imho.
Sorry for this question but How can I better choose that an implementation is better as a core or as a mod one?
Are there some criteria to which I can refer to respond that question so I can prevent asking impossible things to do?

Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 am

Things which have nothing to do with bulletin board but can still be very useful for communities are supposed to be Extensions.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Kamahl19 wrote:Things which have nothing to do with bulletin board but can still be very useful for communities are supposed to be Extensions.
That's a good example for this idea, kind of like if people wanted to send newsletters (which have nothing to do with a bulletin board) from phpBB, that should be an extension too... ;)

I wonder if there should be an official sticky post explaining the guidelines for core features/Extensions?

Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Ok, I am offtopic now but I have to reply because it seems you still dont understand. Backup / restore function in ACP has nothing to do with Bulletin board. So why is it included in core? The same applies for Custom profile fields or Word censoring or Spam countermeasures. However, all this tools are great help for administrator and many administrators use them. Newsletter feature also does not have anything to do with Bulletin board but it is great help for administrator and for communicating with community. Thats why it can be included in core and thats why we can improve it by allowing html in email, because it improves the communication with users.

This is really the last thing I wrote about this subject and I advice you to let it be too.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Kamahl19 wrote:Ok, I am offtopic now but I have to reply because it seems you still dont understand. Backup / restore function in ACP has nothing to do with Bulletin board. So why is it included in core? The same applies for Custom profile fields or Word censoring or Spam countermeasures. However, all this tools are great help for administrator and many administrators use them. Newsletter feature also does not have anything to do with Bulletin board but it is great help for administrator and for communicating with community. Thats why it can be included in core and thats why we can improve it by allowing html in email, because it improves the communication with users.

This is really the last thing I wrote about this subject and I advice you to let it be too.
A chat service doesn't improve the communication with users?

Any way I accept your opinion and resin, while I don't agree with.
There is nothing more I can do to argument my idea: if the response is negative I accept it.
Thanks for sharing your opinion with me.
Best regards.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 pm

To make use of a live chat option you need a lot of members who are online a lot of the time and who want to chat to each other a lot. There's very little discussion involved. It's often just chit chat.

For a discussion board to work properly people need to spend a long time properly having discussions about the topic in hand. That's what they're all about.

I vote no for a built in chat option as it is very board dependent.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “phpBB Ideas”