peopleopinion
Posted:
Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:32 am
Rating:
New
peopleopinion

Upload database backups from ACP?

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:32 am

What about to add a new feature that allows administrator to upload a backuped database from the local computer directly form the phpbb ACP board instead access to phpmyadmin database server interface? Some hosting services providers sometimes forbid to access to phpmyadmin database server interface. So it is not possible to restore a previous backup saved in a local computer.

----------

View idea at: Upload database backups from ACP?

Posted by peopleopinion
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Upload database backups from ACP?

Post by Brf » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:13 am

That is already the purpose of the ACP Database restore function.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Sorry may be I'm not up to date: I had installed the 3.0.11 so I'm basing my proposed ideas on that ver. and in its ACP there isn't a file field to upload on remote server a backup previously saved on local computer.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:56 pm

You would upload using FTP, just like you upload any other file.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Brf wrote:You would upload using FTP, just like you upload any other file.
I know but not all hosters give the possibility to use ftp link neither the access to phpmyadmin interface to restore db bks. So the only possibility is to use ACP board, but neither this permit to upload a file saved on local computer.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

peopleopinion wrote:
Brf wrote:You would upload using FTP, just like you upload any other file.
I know but not all hosters give the possibility to use ftp link neither the access to phpmyadmin interface to restore db bks. So the only possibility is to use ACP board, but neither this permit to upload a file saved on local computer.
What kind of *host* has no way to upload files? If they don't allow FTP then they have a file manager to upload files.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:What kind of *host* has no way to upload files? If they don't allow FTP then they have a file manager to upload files.
Free hosts for example frequently have restrictions on uploading files with a file manager or by ftp protocol or limitation on direct accessing to phpmyadmin interface usually needed to restore a db backup. There are a bunch of hosts around there that offers free profiles that are limited in various manner: these are just few of the findable limitations.
I know it is kinda tedious to think about all these kind of "strange" situations and remedy at, but not all user can have the money to buy a paying hosting service.
Phpbb may be a cms that take into account situation like that or not. It is just a question of point of view, nothing is mandatory, of course. Just an idea to evaluate. In my humble opinion a good one :idea: .

Also, if implemented, it can be an enormous advantage for that users that don't have the know how to do that operation by ftp or host control panel but they can admin their site completely from the same interface: the phpbb easy board.
Also having the possibility to save by downloading in a local computer the bk file, but not the possibility to upload it, it is not equilibrate.
I think that the same reasoning can be done for style exportation: if I can export db bk or styles bk from server to local but I can't restore them if needed why to have the "export" feature? Isn't it pretty unuseful?
IMHO things have to be balanced: one without the other give me a sense of incompleteness.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:07 pm

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:What kind of *host* has no way to upload files? If they don't allow FTP then they have a file manager to upload files.
Free hosts for example frequently have restrictions on uploading files with a file manager or by ftp protocol or limitation on direct accessing to phpmyadmin interface usually needed to restore a db backup.
Get a better host... :roll:

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:Get a better host... :roll:
... Very useful :cry:

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:18 am

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:Get a better host... :roll:
... Very useful :cry:
Yes, a better host allows users to upload files or the host is useless. :D

What good is any host where the user can not upload a website, pictures, or other files? Even if the host is free it's useless if you can't add your files somehow.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:56 am

We do not support the free hosts here.
We only support boards that you upload using FTP.

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Brf wrote:We do not support the free hosts here.
We only support boards that you upload using FTP.
This isn't about support, it's about a feature. This feature, in general, assists usability in the same way we allow uploading in AutoMOD and will eventually for extensions/styles/similies/ranks etc.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:50 pm

The OP says he is requesting the feature so it is usable on free hosts that do not allow FTP access. That is what I was replying to.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Brf wrote:The OP says he is requesting the feature so it is usable on free hosts that do not allow FTP access. That is what I was replying to.
In little part yes, but my idea is not useful only in case a forum owner hosts his site in that kind of hosts.

Infact my idea is aimed principally (but not only) to achieve the same thing affirmed in the following post:
MichaelC wrote:This isn't about support, it's about a feature. This feature, in general, assists usability in the same way we allow uploading in AutoMOD and will eventually for extensions/styles/similies/ranks etc.
This new feature imho could enhance the usability of phpbb cms in general, contributing at its modernization in web 2.0 philosophy and elasticity.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”