peopleopinion
Posted:
Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:50 am
Rating:
Implemented
peopleopinion

Install MODs wizard

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:50 am

What about to implement an automatic standardized wizard to install and uninstall Modifications?

The installed MOD can be showed in PCA, for example in a MODification subsection. There can be placed a button to delete the modification installed.

I mean some thing similar to add/remove programs for windows systems or add/remove package in linux like systems, or, again, something similar at the style installing/uninstalling panel.

The install procedure (a php script maybe) can process a xml like file to install the needed modification package and, at the same time, it can create automatically another xml file to uninstall it or, alternatively, it can execute the original xml used for installation contrariwise to uninstall the relative mod.
Of course the MOD will need to upload its own files images script etc, operation that can be done by a file field that upload a compressed file containing everything needed by the mod itself or another to grab the installation compressed package from a internet url.

The xml file install/uninstall must indicate in a way that the php install/uninstall procedure can process:
1) the new files that have to be copied and where f(x,y)=(file to copy and path);
2) the old files that need to be modified an how f(x,y,z)=(file to modify, old row to replace, new row);
3) the old files that need to be modified an how f(x,y,z)=(file to modify, old string|code to replace, new string|code).

Do you think it will be possible to implement a wizard like this or something that does the same clean job?

----------

View idea at: Install MODs wizard

Posted by peopleopinion
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Install MODs wizard

Post by KevC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:40 am

This is already accounted for by the new hooks system.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:This is already accounted for by the new hooks system.
In wich version of phpbb installation will be possible to find it?
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:12 pm

In the up coming 3.1x line which is what this section is mostly about.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:42 pm

That's a Good News
Thanks.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:This is already accounted for by the new hooks system.
Uhmmm, I think you mean extensions. Hooks are already possible with 3.0.x.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Ideas”