Rating:
New
peopleopinion

Re: Allow sub threads for off topic conversation

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
Jessica wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:It's not solvable because phpBB is not threaded and never will be.. :roll:
This. Exactly.

Not really... phpbb is already threaded: when I quote you, when you quote me etc, we are making some kind of thread but database have to store more and repetitive data than a native threaded board. With actual quote system the database grow up a lot and much more rapidly than a native threaded board. Anyway, some options to allow to choose the one o the other and to configure the final visualization will be of course appreciated, for example to choose how deep a thread branch can be. If a branch is too much deep could be convenient to create a new topic/thread. But I think that the best is to let the choice to every user how want to read the board.

I know, letting users to choose what they want is a little revolution... but it is just evolution...
It's already been explained that it's not threaded, it just looks that way to you. :roll:

It's never going to happen, one day you'll understand...maybe.
Ok
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:21 am

Threads = nodes in a tree: every node can have zero to many childs and zero to many siblings.
Topics = posts on a fence: every post is only related to the topic in general, without any hierarchy.

That's also the basic reason why you won't find the word thread on this software, whereas other BBSes can be threaded very well, although not initially activated in the user preferences.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why people want treaded forum like mybb (I think)
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Yes exactly:
AmigoJack wrote:Threads = nodes in a tree: every node can have zero to many childs and zero to many siblings.
This is the force of the threaded forums: to know at what msg is responding another.
AmigoJack wrote:Topics = posts on a fence: every post is only related to the topic in general, without any hierarchy.
This is the weakness of the non threaded forums: don't know, without quotes that repeat data more and more times, who a message is responding at.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 pm

peopleopinion wrote: This is the force of the threaded forums: to know at what msg is responding another.

This is the weakness of the non threaded forums: don't know, without quotes that repeat data more and more times, who a message is responding at.
I use intellect to know which message is being responded to.

Oh no, evil quotes! :roll:

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:52 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote: This is the force of the threaded forums: to know at what msg is responding another.

I use intellect to know which message is being responded to.

Oh no, evil quotes! :roll:
As you see at posting.php?mode=quote&f=436&p=13532236#pr13530651
I said something about repetitive data too, so what I meant when I talked about "This is the force of the threaded forums: to know at what msg is responding another." I meant that this is the force of the threaded forum, etc etc without the repetitive data needed for quotes subquotes etc I had already talked about. Sorry for incomprehension.

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 am

Danielx64 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't understand why people want treaded forum like mybb (I think)
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:14 am

peopleopinion wrote:Sorry for incomprehension.
We're getting used to it... :roll:
There's nothing wrong with quoting somebody, get used to it, phpBB isn't going to be threaded.
Danielx64 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't understand why people want treaded forum like mybb (I think)
I'm starting to wonder if the Special Olympics forums are threaded... :lol:

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:Sorry for incomprehension.
We're getting used to it... :roll:
There's nothing wrong with quoting somebody, get used to it, phpBB isn't going to be threaded.
I'm starting to wonder if the Special Olympics forums are threaded... :lol:
Question of opinions I think.
I had already said something about prevention of data repetition, that makes more little databases into threaded forum.
And I had already said something about a more logic reading path for ramifications of the original topic.
Every topic could be subject to have ramifications, without the need of separate sub topics because sometimes sub are strictly correlated to the principal one.
At the following address http://blog.francescophoto.it/2010/10/2 ... 0-e-fz100/ is possible to find an example of what I mean. Such solution gives a more logic and readable path for readers that understand instantly to what is referred the response and what are relationships between more and more responses about the same general topic that has more aspect to discuss about.
Sometimes in real life topics are structured, so has to be a topic in a forum. In such way can reflect what is real life, economizing server space and band, and might be improving performances of the site itself.

Of course the "quote" feature will be present, if users want to use it.
And could be present an user option or button that allow everyone to choose what layout to show from time to time or a general user option that allows users to set their preferred layout.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

As others have already said, phpBB will never be threaded.

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Too much focus on the established meaning of the word 'threaded' in this discussion, methinks...

Agreed with others that phpBB has already 'evolved' beyond the old (ugly and poorer format) of a 'threaded' discussion view. However that doesn't mean there isn't some merit in the original suggestion, if you can envisage how it might work.

I could envisage a simpler 'sub thread' model, whereby you have one level below the main discussion and no more. In viewtopic, these posts would each be contracted into single, semi-transparent indented lines, so that they do not interfere with the main discussion flow, but are expandable if the user desires to read them.

It would be up to the Moderators to take an action on these posts in order to move them out of the way of the main discussion. This function would, perhaps, be called 'Nudge'. So an off-topic or private discussion could have its posts individually 'Nudged' out of the way of the main discussion.

This would be very quick and easy for a Moderator to do, and would improve the discussion. It would only be 1 level and not be 'threaded' at all; the posts would literally be 'nudged' aside.

If peopleopinion likes this idea, perhaps we can draw something up together and list it as a new idea?
Last edited by antonjw2 on Thu May 08, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Thu May 08, 2014 6:29 pm

That's never going to happen...

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Why's that? Care to elaborate?

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Thu May 08, 2014 7:57 pm

I elaborated on page #1, the devs have said that phpBB will never be threaded...

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Right. As I said in the opening sentence of my post, I think the word 'threaded' has had too much of the focus.

My suggestion is taking the kernel and the intent of peopleopinion's idea - that of keeping off-topic discussion out of the real discussion - and turning it into a 'non-threaded' idea.

My suggested implementation of his idea wouldn't be threaded at all - it would simply be a flag in the database which marks a post as 'Nudged'. On-screen, a nudged post would be reduced to a single line, de-emphasised and indented, in order to separate it from the flow of the discussion.

Think of it as being similar to a 'hide' button on other commenting systems, except that I am proposing it here as a Moderator function.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”