Anonymous
Posted:
Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:38 pm
Rating:
New
Master_Cylinder

Re: Allow sub threads for off topic conversation

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 am

Not all requests go into the core, so if you want it my suggestion still stands.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:04 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:Not all requests go into the core, so if you want it my suggestion still stands.
Thanks for the suggested solution. I have evaluated that. But unfortunately I don't agree with, but thanks anyway.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:03 am

Would be imo too much efford in programming and to little benefit...

Just enage more mods to split topics...
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:28 am

D@ve wrote:Would be imo too much efford in programming and to little benefit...

Just enage more mods to split topics...
Ah OK if it is question of too big effort in programming, I don't have nothing more to say. In this case admin of phpbb forum can close or lock every my idea-topic, and I surrender.
But if we are here, instead, to suggest ideas that can improve, advance and optimize, even a little bit per time, the phpbb cms, hope they let them open.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

D@ve

Post by D@ve » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Ah OK if it is question of too big effort in programming
I'm not a core developer. I don't have to decide that.

But imo if a feature will be integrated in core is decided via a relation of
...amount of users who want that feature
...the efford for the programmers
...the benefit it brings.

e.g.

a) integrate an auction system. Maybee the benefit would high but:
...probably nobody needs it
...efford is huge

b) other view of PM managemnt (like we discussed here)
The benefit would relativley low, but the efford would be not that big, since you just need to tweak some DB-Queries and design a template.

A thread-oriented view...
a) relatively big efford
b) relative low benefit
c) probably no one wants it

regards, Dave

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:52 am

D@ve wrote: ...
c) probably no one wants it
I'm not sure of this: facebook integrates a thread view, youtube integrates a thread view, Wordpress and others, integrates a tdv... Phpbb has a thread view?... well... yes it has: the quoted text imho is "something like" a thread view but this have to evolve a bit.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:01 am

peopleopinion wrote: Phpbb has a thread view?... well... yes it has: the quoted text imho is "something like" a thread view but this have to evolve a bit.
No, it doesn't and I've read that it never will. For whatever reason I think it's been decided that they don't want phpBB to be threaded. I think that you're beating a dead horse on this one but if it makes you feel better you can wait for one of the developers to comment...

D@ve

Post by D@ve » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:23 am

I'm not sure of this: facebook integrates a thread view, youtube integrates a thread view
Does they have it? I think youtube and facebook just have two levels (comment and answers) and not real a real thread view.

This is not just a view thing, you have to change the DB design

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:41 pm

D@ve wrote:
I'm not sure of this: facebook integrates a thread view, youtube integrates a thread view
Does they have it? I think youtube and facebook just have two levels (comment and answers) and not real a real thread view.
Well a similar solution IMHO is enough in phpbb cms too.
D@ve wrote:This is not just a view thing, you have to change the DB design
I can't respond about that: unfortunately I'm not expert in phpmyadmin or sql or mysql or web DBs in general.
I just use MS Access. With Access doing this is pretty easy: if a table already exists it is enough to create one more column into the table itself aimed at auto-referencing the table. So a record can refers (or not) to other one in a parent-child logic into the same table. I don't know if it is possible or not to apply the same logic to web DBs because I'm quite ignorant into that theme. :oops:

eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Post by eeji » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 pm

-1 for the idea, simply because I find it difficult to follow threaded conversations especially when they start to get large. I also think I'm going to 'miss something' that could be potentially interesting/useful/etc if I don't read every single reply to every single off shoot, then when I don't its all been time wasted.

I know my reply is probably 'selfish', but I would imagine I'm not the only person with this view :D
Free styles: phpbbstyles.oo.gd
My board: iansvivarium.com

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:06 pm

eeji wrote:-1 for the idea, simply because I find it difficult to follow threaded conversations especially when they start to get large. I also think I'm going to 'miss something' that could be potentially interesting/useful/etc if I don't read every single reply to every single off shoot, then when I don't its all been time wasted.

I know my reply is probably 'selfish', but I would imagine I'm not the only person with this view :D
No you aren't selfish. Your opinion is important like each one's other.
Anyway, this problem is solvable with just a button that allows users to choose on the fly the wanted visualization and an option into the User Control Panel with which each user may configure as prefered.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:04 pm

It's not solvable because phpBB is not threaded and never will be.. :roll:

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:It's not solvable because phpBB is not threaded and never will be.. :roll:
This. Exactly.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Jessica wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:It's not solvable because phpBB is not threaded and never will be.. :roll:
This. Exactly.

Not really... phpbb is already threaded: when I quote you, when you quote me etc, we are making some kind of thread but database have to store more and repetitive data than a native threaded board. With actual quote system the database grow up a lot and much more rapidly than a native threaded board. Anyway, some options to allow to choose the one o the other and to configure the final visualization will be of course appreciated, for example to choose how deep a thread branch can be. If a branch is too much deep could be convenient to create a new topic/thread. But I think that the best is to let the choice to every user how want to read the board.

I know, letting users to choose what they want is a little revolution... but it is just evolution...

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:33 pm

peopleopinion wrote:
Jessica wrote:
This. Exactly.

Not really... phpbb is already threaded: when I quote you, when you quote me etc, we are making some kind of thread but database have to store more and repetitive data than a native threaded board. With actual quote system the database grow up a lot and much more rapidly than a native threaded board. Anyway, some options to allow to choose the one o the other and to configure the final visualization will be of course appreciated, for example to choose how deep a thread branch can be. If a branch is too much deep could be convenient to create a new topic/thread. But I think that the best is to let the choice to every user how want to read the board.

I know, letting users to choose what they want is a little revolution... but it is just evolution...
It's already been explained that it's not threaded, it just looks that way to you. :roll:

It's never going to happen, one day you'll understand...maybe.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”