Anonymous
Posted:
Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:38 pm
Rating:
New
Master_Cylinder

Re: Allow sub threads for off topic conversation

Post by Master_Cylinder » Thu May 08, 2014 11:29 pm

Trying to change threaded to slightly threaded or sub-threaded isn't going to make it happen...

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:59 pm

Except it isn't 'threaded' at all Cylinder as I have explained twice now. My proposed implementation of the original idea is based on a flag, but still retains the intent, if not the technical and functional implementation of the original idea - which is to keep discussion on track and tuck away off-topic deviations.

My version of this idea is simply a flattening of off-topic posts. It therefore in no way has anything whatsoever to do with old-fashioned threaded forums. Which I completely agree are a thing of the past and rightly so. It therefore is a suitable suggestion for phpBB in that respect.

I would appreciate it if you would take the time to add constructively to any of my own suggestions, and I will happily return the same respect to you.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri May 09, 2014 12:00 am

I tried to explain to you that it's not going to happen. You can waste your time if you want but it won't go anywhere...just like it was explained to PO. He didn't get it either.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Fri May 09, 2014 12:08 am

I just don't get it...

Anything 'Off Topic' is in essence 'Another Topic', so you simply split it off into a new topic. Done.

Although some people strangely seem to think another topic is a bad idea :?
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri May 09, 2014 12:13 am

Some people are just used to other boards so they want phpBB to be like what they're used to rather than adjusting to what phpBB is. Splitting (or deleting) an off-topic post is fine.

I feel the same way about people that whine about double posts...as if they'll run out of room for more. ;)

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:28 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:I tried to explain to you that it's not going to happen. You can waste your time if you want but it won't go anywhere...just like it was explained to PO. He didn't get it either.
Once more you have purposely failed to understand my suggestion and you refuse to engage on the actual detail of it.

Mine has nothing to do with the threaded nature of old-fashioned forums. I saw the kernel of a good idea in the OP's suggestion. Not the threaded part, but the hiding of off-topic posts part.

So why throw the baby (the intent) out with the bathwater (a poor implementation suggestion)?

If you wish to add constructively to my suggestions then please at least take the time to understand them and I'l debate them out with you. All you seem to be doing is attacking, here (not least, by attacking it for what it isn't). I don't think that is really in the spirit of idea-generation.

Volks - sure, splitting a thread is always an option, but some people go so off-topic any resulting split thread would also not have a place on the forum. You could also take the view that 'nudging' an off-topic post here and there would be easier for moderators than splitting topics.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 am

I understood it, I just rejected it because it's not going to happen. That's reality.

This topic/idea is about threaded topics, if you want to start a new one feel free but if its about threaded topics (or sub threads, etc.) it'll turn out the same way because it doesn't matter what you call it. The devs have said it's not going to happen.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Fri May 09, 2014 12:41 am

antonjw2 wrote: Volks - sure, splitting a thread is always an option, but some people go so off-topic any resulting split thread would also not have a place on the forum. You could also take the view that 'nudging' an off-topic post here and there would be easier for moderators than splitting topics.
And a good option at that 8-) Search engines thrive on content...Quality content. Another Topic, is firstly another Topic obviously...but it's also a specific discussion about 'Something'.

A discussion that goes Off topic and contains all sorts of variation of content, well, It's not as search engine friendly and it's a topic that could become two quality topics rather than one poor quality one.

I can see your thinking/idea, but I just don't think there's any need. Lot's of topics discussing 'particular Things' is what Chat forums are built on, discussions within discussions just creates more complicated and poorer quality content imo. Splitting a Topic is actually a good/advantageous thing.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:44 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:if you want to start a new one feel free but if its about threaded topics (or sub threads, etc.)
it isn't - how many more times?

please read what i have written if you are going to engage with my suggestions, and please give me the respect of debating them out rather than attacking a suggestion. you have spoken down to more than one person in this thread and are in danger of putting people off using this ideas section altogether.

what good is that going to do to phpBB? you shouldn't be attacking ideas. pick them apart and debate them, sure. say you don't like them and why, sure. but please don't attack them for what they are not - that is poor form my friend.

finally - i am suggesting de-emphasising off-topic posts using a simple moderator feature which would shrink them. nothing to do with 'threaded forums', but still in the spirit of the OP's idea.

that i feel, is a constructive addition to the debate. as i said - if the OP would like to jointly put forward a fresh idea then i'd happily discuss it with him/her.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri May 09, 2014 12:49 am

I was just wondering how many more times it has to be explained to you before you get it...

I read it... :roll:

I'm not breaking any rules, I've explained why, you just fail to accept reality.

As I said, if you want to try to start a new idea/topic (instead of hijacking this one) feel free but the song remains the same.

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:55 am

Thankyou Volks for engaging in the debate...

I guess my point is that every forum has it's subject matter. And sometimes people go so off-topic as to be completely outside the subject matter. So then it becomes a task of splitting into a 'thread dump' area or deleting. These are usually things like personal discussions and the like. Other times low-level personal comments that can be time-consuming to split out.

A quick 'Nudge' or two and you could be done. The posts would be shrunk and out of the way. It might also be a way of moderating at a low-level without having to have a word with your users... if your posts are often being 'Nudged', then you are obviously posting off-topic and against guidelines, and that may make users think without needing to be spoken to.

Imagine how useful it would have been for this thread? :D So I would like to thank Master_Cylinder for demonstrating my point so helpfully with his many unconstructive postings - now imagine if you could just quickly tuck them away... :lol:

It would by no means be a major feature, and I wouldn't think the top of any development list, but as a forum admin and moderator I can see that it could be handy on our forum, and an alternative to splitting things off, which is time consuming over a multi-page thread. But you could 'Nudge' a few posts as you're reading a thread (even better if there is some JQuery to prevent page reloads when using the function).
Last edited by antonjw2 on Fri May 09, 2014 2:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:59 am

Cylinder, I was being constructive by removing the 'threadedness' of the original idea but keeping it's intent.

You haven't debated any of the actual content of my suggestion - you have in fact avoided it, and your intent is not just to say "i don't like the idea", but further to that, you appear to have a need to kill it completely and 'win'.

That's not a game I'm in, so the floor is all yours.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 am

antonjw2 wrote: It would by no means be a major feature, and I wouldn't think the top of any development list...
It won't be in the core at all, maybe as an Extension...not in the core.

"Reality; what a concept!" -- Robin Williams
Last edited by Master_Cylinder on Fri May 09, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri May 09, 2014 1:03 am

antonjw2 wrote: You haven't debated any of the actual content of my suggestion...
I'm not required to debate bad ideas, I can vote/not vote and/or reply as I see fit.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Fri May 09, 2014 5:37 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:I can vote/not vote and/or reply as I see fit.
Just because you can does not mean you must. You have cast your vote and stated your beliefs on the matter. You seem to have nothing useful left to add to the conversation, so I recommend that you do not continue posting in this topic unless you have constructive criticism to add that you haven't already posted.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”