peopleopinion
Posted:
Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:03 am
Rating:
New
peopleopinion

User Menu of bookmarked topics at the side of the page

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:03 am

What about to add some kind of side scrollable configurable menu that appears or disappears on mouse hover (or maybe not) and lists all bookmarked [and/or subscribed] topics that the current logged user is following [and/or eventually had subscribed]?

This feature could be useful to every user to see instantly if in a forum he is interested in there are new posts to read and answer to without going to user panel every time.

In fact, IMHO, Bookmarks and subscriptions are supposed to be handy, but going every time into the UCP > and Manage bookmarks it is far away to be completely handy.

----------

View idea at: User Menu of bookmarked topics at the side of the page

Posted by peopleopinion
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

peopleopinion

Re: User Menu of bookmarked topics at the side of the page

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:33 am

Attached two different examples (click to zoom):
This shows the menu icon at the left side of the board
This shows the menu icon at the left side of the board
Bookmark-menu-1.jpg (97.14 KiB) Viewed 138 times
This shows the menu icon at the right side of the Add/Remove from bookmarks link
This shows the menu icon at the right side of the Add/Remove from bookmarks link
Bookmark-menu-2.jpg (102.83 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Instead of this on hover menu,two direct links to user bookmarks and to user subscriptions control panel pages could be placed at the right side of the Add/Remove subscription/bookmarks links.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 am

peopleopinion wrote:going every time into the UCP > and Manage bookmarks
Sounds like a PICNIC issue: I just leave that page open and view the topics in new tabs.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:41 am

AmigoJack wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:going every time into the UCP > and Manage bookmarks
Sounds like a PICNIC issue: I just leave that page open and view the topics in new tabs.

At the moment I'm doing the same and this is because I think that a menu will be an improvement of the user friendliness of the board.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:13 pm

I wouldn't call having things pop up from everywhere user friendly. :?

Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:41 pm

I am not a fan of popup neither, but I agree that something should be done with bookmarks in UCP. UCP is control panel, it has nothing to do with Bookmarks, PMs, drafts.. It should be only for settings.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:34 am

Marc wrote:I wouldn't call having things pop up from everywhere user friendly. :?
OK... let's call that function just "Bookmark menu" instead of "pop up". Nothing to object about.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:59 am

The objection is that your menu is a pop up. Whatever you want to name it is irrelevant.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:14 am

Brf wrote:The objection is that your menu is a pop up. Whatever you want to name it is irrelevant.

Sorry for my ignorance but for "pop up" or "pop under" isn't intended a new browser window that is opened up or under the current one?
My proposed menu is just a menu, similarly to combobox that phpbb uses in more places, for example the "jump to" combobox used to jump from a forum to another. If my menu is not appreciated as well as I have proposed it, what about to do some kind of "filtered jump to" combobox instead to show user bookmark? it might be a good solution too.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

A pop up is something that opens and covers page content. The jump-to select box you mentioned does not cover any page content. The point is that the user bookmarks are already convenient in the UCP, which already has a link on every page.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 am

Brf wrote:...The jump-to select box you mentioned does not cover any page content...
I'm not sure of this: they appear pretty similar for such aspect. I did some researches on line and almost everywhere the list box is viewed and interpreted as a "pop up thing" (for example have a look at this on google research).

Of course both my popup menu and jump-to box are absolutely different from a pop up or pop under window used for example for ads. Also the picture I have attached shows just a basic idea: it is not optimized and some work around it have to be done.

Anyway the menu of bookmarked topics could be implemented as well as a simple html listbox populated by a query, exactly as the jump-to box. The jump-to box will have a link to all forums, while the menu of bookmarked forums will contain the user bookmarked ones only.

Bookmarked topics menu compared to jump-to select box menu:
Attachments
Jump-to Box.JPG
Jump-to Box.JPG (124.03 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Bookmark-menu-2.jpg
Bookmark-menu-2.jpg (102.83 KiB) Viewed 102 times

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:20 am

The data grid you are proposing is a lot more complicated than the jump-to folder list. It would have to be loaded as a separate page rather than a simple HTML select-box.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:34 am

Brf wrote:The data grid you are proposing is a lot more complicated than the jump-to folder list. It would have to be loaded as a separate page rather than a simple HTML select-box.
I'm sorry for this. I don't want to be problematic. I just thought that it was a problem easy to solve, for example just using the query used to populate the UCP > Manage bookmarks page and redirecting its output in the appropriate way into the combo box to use for the "Bookmarked topic jump to" list (or, eventually, the menu I drawn).

Return to “phpBB Ideas”