Unsubscribe for the user

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Unsubscribe for the user

Post by peopleopinion »

What about to add a function that allows to the user to unsubscribe from the whole board deleting / closing his own account instead of asking this by email or PM to a staff member?

I think it will simplify the board management for staff and also, if I'm not wrong, in some countries there are precise laws about. For those laws it is a must have a feature that gives this possibility to users that want unsubscribe for example from mailing lists or whole websites. And also I think it is an user right to unsubscribe and eventually deleting his own messages if he wants.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
peopleopinion

Re: Unsubscribe for the user

Post by peopleopinion »

Also might there is some mod for this. But this doesn't seem to be a matter for a mod.
Maybe with some option for admin to activate it or not but IMHO this might be something to have in the phpbb core, because of laws.

The original mod request:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1006045
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

+1

Imo it is absolutley necessary beause of legal issues in some countries (e.g. Germany)...

Would be great as well if the admin could define what happens. That the user is completly deleted or that the profile will just be inactivated and anonymized, if posts are deleted or not etc.
Also great would be a on-hold time. The user will be just deleted if he won't lock in for two weeks
Last edited by D@ve on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

As long as it's optional because deleting content can ruin a whole conversation and not everyplace has the same laws.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Seems that it is necessary to face up this topic very carefully, because of its implications of a bunch of things, board management and cumbersome laws, different from country to country.
It is a must have for lot of reasons but how to implement it? What options and what limitation implement in the board and what not?
Which ones for admin and which ones for the users?
Who have to decide what?
:? These are the doubts...
Master_Cylinder

That's the problem with doing it in the core, so many options and settings but it's up to the admin/owner to know what is required. I think a specific extension, per needed country, would make more sense but I really don't know what all of the variables would be. I just know that *I* don't want users self-deleting anything important and my laws don't demand such things.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:That's the problem with doing it in the core, so many options and settings but it's up to the admin/owner to know what is required. I think a specific extension, per needed country, would make more sense but I really don't know what all of the variables would be. I just know that *I* don't want users self-deleting anything important and my laws don't demand such things.
I absolutely understand this point of view.
But unfortunately (or fortunately, it depends on the point of view) every user is the owner and the responsable of respective posts, as a book writer is. And every user has the right to choose himself what he want to delete or not. As admin the law (and also my morality) imposes me to respect the user decision.
Of course it is not easy losing important things.

Scenario:
Suppose that the user peopleopinion (or... you, why not?) joined to a website a bit of time ago and a certain time I (or you) want to unsubscribe by removing everything that I posted because I do not want it remains track, or maybe because things are old and no longer updated and then useless or for other reasons, whatever they may be. Or suppose that the site in question is not more to my liking because for example, has become xenophobic or doesn't not respect the religion of each other etc.
Personally I think it is my (or yours) right and my (or your) choice to delete my (or your) account from that website and disappear from its pages. It's called free will, as I recall.

I respect the point of view that acclaims that losing important things can be a damage, but every one has the right to choose what to do, if legally (and morally) admitted of course. I think, inside this perspective, it is a duty of the admin to give this possibility without almost any interference.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

I think a delete-option for a user is definitely an important core feature...
Imo you just need three options, that admin can set:
a) delete all
b) delete user, keep posts
c) soft delete (just anonymizes the account)

That shouldn't be too complicated.

regards, Dave
Master_Cylinder

Maybe there are other requirements for different countries? Sure, you want your countries requirements in the core but how complicated does it get if we include them all? Let's see what the devs do...
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Giving the users an option to delete themselve benefits every board (it the Admin wants it) regardless that some countries have legal needs for that feature.

And what "other requirements" should there be in different countries???
Master_Cylinder

D@ve wrote:Giving the users an option to delete themselve benefits every board (it the Admin wants it) regardless that some countries have legal needs for that feature.

And what "other requirements" should there be in different countries???
No, it doesn't benefit every board, which is why so few would actually enable it. It has the potential to ruin a board. Suppose an active member with 10,000+ posts, including tutorials, how-to, support and lengthy discussions on various topics including pictures gets angry and decides to "take his ball and go home" so he deleted everything. That's not a benefit.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:No, it doesn't benefit every board, which is why so few would actually enable it. It has the potential to ruin a board. Suppose an active member with 10,000+ posts, including tutorials, how-to, support and lengthy discussions on various topics including pictures gets angry and decides to "take his ball and go home" so he deleted everything. That's not a benefit.

If a user wants to delete his own posts or topics can do it now too, without any further new feature in the phpbb core.
In fact as you probably know, there already is in the ACP an option that allows the user to delete or not his own posts (one by one). Cause I don't think that is a problem, because in the same manner, the admin will have into the ACP some option to configure the self unsubscribe /delete account feature.

For example (into the ACP):

Allow user to delete his own account: y | n
Allow user to choose to delete his posts when deletes his own account: y | n
Etc...

Every one of us is here to give the "phpbb ideas" forum new ideas to compare, with the aim to find the better solution to implement new features or improve existing ones into phpbb cms core etc that is used by a lot of people in the world. Everyone can change his mind comparing ideas here...
Master_Cylinder

That option is NOT on by default and very few forums allow it. There are additional settings that can define how long a user might have to edit/delete their individual posts. So an admin can say a user has 30 minutes to to self-delete a post, that option is used more often but still not much. Finally, One by one takes a LONG time if they have a large number of posts so perhaps they cool off and change their mind before it's over. All at once doesn't give them a cooling off period, click and gone. I don't know of any forums that allow users to self-delete their accounts with the posts but maybe that's because I don't know people that host in countries that have those requirements.

I'm still not convinced that it *should* be in the core for a small few that have to have it and the even fewer that would want it if they didn't have to have it. It's up to the devs at this point...
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:That option is NOT on by default and very few forums allow it. There are additional settings that can define how long a user might have to edit/delete their individual posts. So an admin can say a user has 30 minutes to to self-delete a post, that option is used more often but still not much. Finally, One by one takes a LONG time if they have a large number of posts so perhaps they cool off and change their mind before it's over. All at once doesn't give them a cooling off period, click and gone. I don't know of any forums that allow users to self-delete their accounts with the posts but maybe that's because I don't know people that host in countries that have those requirements.

I'm still not convinced that it *should* be in the core for a small few that have to have it and the even fewer that would want it if they didn't have to have it. It's up to the devs at this point...
I agree on the fact that are needed some option to configure possible user behaviors, so every admin could decide how implement in the managed board. But user auto unsubscribe / unregister is obvious a core feature as well as subscribe / register feature: if a person can choose to subscribe / register into some thing is also morally correct to give the user the right to unsubscribe / unregister him/her self.

Sorry for the following, my aim is not to be offensive but just incisive in the defense of my point of view: I don't know any organization that obliges its members to stay registered / subscribed into it for life... apart not honest orgs like mafia, third reich, masonic organizations, and similar...

But every user I think has the freedom to choose to be or not part of any other organization, as I already sad it is called "free will". I will say more: may be that this is not a question of opinion or point of view: it is a right of everyone.

So we might discuss about "How" this right could be exercised but IMHO is very strange for me discussing about "if" unsubscribe / unregister is or not a user right. Evidently we have a different philosophy: for me free will is sacred and also legally recognized ;) .

Anyway if in ACP will be present a section where will be possible activate or not and set options about that feature, admins will decide themselves their own workaround.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

It's only one click to deactivate an account anyway.
I think it's dangerous for users to be able to self delete.
I can count on one hand the number of times I've been asked to deactivate an account so I don't think any extra functions are needed for this.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “phpBB Ideas”