Unsubscribe for the user

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Re: Unsubscribe/unregister for the user

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve wrote:
IMHO it is very hard if even impossible to convince someone to embrace one opinion if has a deep different experience.
Yes... I think the problem is, that most Admins here come from a technical background. They are running boards about IT, computers or other technical background.

In these kind of forum you register and if you don't bother any more you just stay away from the board.

BUT if you have a forum about emotional topics as religion, politics (sometimes even cars) it is completley different. Some people there get pi**ed off VERY quickly if others don't share their opinion. They write big long whiny martyr Post (or PN to the admin), where they complain that everybody is stupid, and noone understands them etc. etc. - I guess everyone of you knows this kind of user. But in a technical forum this is not that common. In a forum with an emotional topic you have this on a daily base.

I run a forum for musicians since 2002. Since then I deleted about 5 Users that didn't want their account.
In my forum about christianity we sometomes have 3 Users per day that want to be deleted. And the worst part is: After three weeks, the same people come back: "Sorry, I've reconsidered, please reactivate my account"
And as I said: We have a team member who is just manageing the delete stuff.

I know that you this is hard to follow, since you don't have this kind of problems in boards with non-emotinoal topics. But please understand, that it is a big issue for some of us.
Anyway In my opinion it's not possible to understand how an admin can arrogate to him/herself the right to "force" users to stay registered
*fullack* here in Germany it was a big discussion about "unsubscribing" from facebook. People where annoyed since they didn't finde the delete-Button (imo they were right). Privacy and "informational self-determination" is a big issue here.

regards, Dave

I absolutely agree with you. And hope that developers will add the feature of course with some options so everyone can set it up as needed.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Re: Unsubscribe for the user

Post by Jessica »

If a user no longer wants to be part of a board, s/he should just log out and never come back. Why do they need to delete their account? I agree with Kevin; it would mess up topics.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Jessica wrote:If a user no longer wants to be part of a board, s/he should just log out and never come back. Why do they need to delete their account? I agree with Kevin; it would mess up topics.
Because into the database there are some data that are hosted and the user may want to delete. As I said before it is an user right and in some countries laws tutelate it. So it is not a choice, but it is mandatory to have this feature. I understand your point of view, and this is because I proposed an implementation with some options to set it up as admin/country needs. So the admin can enable or not the feature on the basis of the needs.
Look for example at big "web operators" like google or facebook or others. The web is rich of examples. They know about these laws and allow users to modify or delete their account.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

It's only the law in a few places so it should be an extension so that the details/demands of each hosting country can be met with 1 small extension rather than a lot of code in the core for something only a few need. That's just my opinion though...
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:[...] 1 small extension rather than a lot of code in the core [...]
Extensions developers sometimes stop developing their extension. This is an important thing and have to be updated as well as the core. So IMHO has to be part of the core.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I'm curious as to the countries and laws concerned.
Very often this applies to the hosting company not the site owner.

This has a big effect on it being built in or being an extension.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Kevin Clark wrote:I'm curious as to the countries and laws concerned.
My country is one of them that has this kind of legislative prescription: here every user has the right to modify or delete his/her data. Not only. The user has the right to be informed about who is the responsible of his/her data management, how data will be used and for what: the user has to be informed of this every time registers somewhere. I know it is a bit boring but this is... ;)
Kevin Clark wrote:Very often this applies to the hosting company not the site owner.
In some countries this is right, elsewhere is different: in my country if a customer register in a generic e-commerce website that law is applicable too... if register in an online newspaper too... It is applicable not only for online registrations but for traditional / papery registrations, phone contracts, water contracts, electricity ones, or websites in general, must have a privacy declaration and must permit to user to modify, correct, and delete their data... Almost everywhere is about the same. A very little difference is present for public situations as municipality or institutional, governmental organizations that use user data for mandatory, institutional goals.
In my Country, between transparency and privacy there is a continuous fight.
Kevin Clark wrote:This has a big effect on it being built in or being an extension.
OK, but I would like to highlight that it is not a question of "how many countries have those prescriptions": of course I don't know if in the world there are other countries like mine. But is that so important? IMHO NO it isn't. Because the importance is not only "the Country", it is important the people: if in one here phpbb is used by "n" websites, because of this law prescription every one of them have to instal a mod? Of course none of them instal a mod for it because a big part of the don't even know of the law, and others close an eye (or both). But every one of them, potentially, are outlaw.

If there are some options that allow to activate or not this feature, will be possible to use it without loosing further time to search and instal a mod: a lot of people have an amatorial website and don't want to spend time to do things like installing mods. They want point and click websites... 5 minutes and ready to start... But doing so they are almost outlaw... This is not a good thing IMHO.

Also the aim of a web site doesn't have to be once acquired users they have to be obligatorily linked to the website if they like it or not. The main goal for a web site must be instead "if the user likes the website the user stays if not leaves".

A website is like a room: what about if you enter in a real room and someone forbid you to go out when you wish? I it a good thing? Website is the same: both are not a jail, one real, the other virtual...

My aim is not to be nor polemic neither offensive but I cannot understand how it is possible that in 2013 there are still people that want to be free to obligate others to be under their commands or choices.
I think that phpbb has to change his mind about this...

I might say "people have the power"... and the right to be free to choose, because a website is not a dictatorial State where if you go into it you cannot go out. Is it?

Best Regards everybody
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:[...] 1 small extension rather than a lot of code in the core [...]
Extensions developers sometimes stop developing their extension. This is an important thing and have to be updated as well as the core. So IMHO has to be part of the core.
There are officially supported MODs now (like automod), there will be officially supported extensions.

Problem solved. ;)
peopleopinion

Re: Unregister for the user

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:There are officially supported MODs now (like automod), there will be officially supported extensions.
Problem solved. ;)
Uhmmm... I'm not convinced that the problem is solved because as I said before, a feature for users to auto unregister has to be part of the core IMHO, with just some options to configure, optimize and adapt it to admin/users/country needs/prescriptions. If this feature is a MOD or an extension, has to be a MOD or an extension the subscribe feature too...
The first is like the second a core feature IMHO.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”