Quote that advice the quoted user

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Master_Cylinder

Re: Quote that advice the quoted user

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Danielx64 wrote: Well if phpBB going have @user tagging....
Nope, not that one either, that's related to the same twit stuff...
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

read it. It's about a lot of things.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Why not giving links to specific posts or quote posts?
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Master_Cylinder

I quit reading it at the first post when I saw the @user, that said, "po" would probably want that too so he can read it if he wants.

As long as I don't have to get notified and I can control it on my boards, I'm neutral. I'm not into notifications, if I want to know what's going on I just read my forums. I'd set everything to PM and skip email completely if I could. E-mail will die, imho, if spam can't be controlled better anyway.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I've seen the quote notification on a vB board.
While kind of interesting to see that someone has directly replied to something you've written, it's not massively essential enough to be a core item IMO. One reason being that you're probably likely to keep an eye on your 'dotted topics' anyway so you're likely to carry on reading where you left off and so you'd see if you were quoted anyway.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Master_Cylinder

Kevin Clark wrote:I've seen the quote notification on a vB board.
While kind of interesting to see that someone has directly replied to something you've written, it's not massively essential enough to be a core item IMO. One reason being that you're probably likely to keep an eye on your 'dotted topics' anyway so you're likely to carry on reading where you left off and so you'd see if you were quoted anyway.
If a person is into notifications they'd probably be subscribed to topics they post in by default (from the UCP) anyway. Now multi-quote might be useful... ;)
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Best link I can get ATM.
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 85#p245985

I have already read most of it when it was written. I don't remember where it is first referenced... Just check the image.
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

anyway so you're likely to carry on reading where you left off
Well, we all know topics which are more like a chat than a forum. People are posting in minute cycle. Here Atm I have the choice of reading all or reading nothing. A notify if I've been quoted wouldn't be that bad for such topics.

regards, Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

Even if it's a busy topic, if you're joining in, then most will likely read/scan all unread posts, including a quote. If you miss a quote in one of those topics that isn't important enough to read every post, are you missing anything important? Unread posts will show everyone everything they missed.

I'm still neutral on it if it's optional. Why couldn't it be an extension for boards that think they need it?
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

I don't need it... But well, I think phpBB should be up to date - and in fact it is NOT.
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

D@ve wrote:I don't need it... But well, I think phpBB should be up to date - and in fact it is NOT.
Referring to adding this as being "up to date" is subjective, I'd call it "full of unneeded fluff." SW doesn't have to be exactly like other SW to be "up to date." Adding relatively useless things to the core "just because" some other SW does it differently isn't that bright.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
D@ve wrote:I don't need it... But well, I think phpBB should be up to date - and in fact it is NOT.
Referring to adding this as being "up to date" is subjective, I'd call it "full of unneeded fluff." SW doesn't have to be exactly like other SW to be "up to date." Adding relatively useless things to the core "just because" some other SW does it differently isn't that bright.
I'm not sure but I think that with "up to date" D@ve meant every new feature that helps users to have a better interaction with the system with the aim to have a better experience than the previous version. And a new feature that advice the quoted user is aimed to this IMHO.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

This already seems to be implemented in the 3.1 notifications section.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

What happens if a certain user name is cited in a different topic he is not following/bookmarked?
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”