Add a Summary of the post or for the page

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Add a Summary of the post or for the page

Post by peopleopinion »

What about to add a configurable and optional feature for users that are composing a post to allow them to add a summary for the page or of the post?
It will be a useful feature to have instead using bbcode as I did to implement it.

My summary bbcode handles the <a anchor> name html tag and built automatically a list with linked titles of post.

An example working can be seen here:
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org/vie ... ?f=63&t=37

I know, my example works but it is not perfect at all: experienced programmers can do it better.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Master_Cylinder

Re: Add a Summary of the post or for the page

Post by Master_Cylinder »

The subject is supposed to be a summary of the topic/post.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:The subject is supposed to be a summary of the topic/post.
Uhm... Maybe there is a problem of word translation or misinterpretation that doesn't match my concept of "summary".
I'll explicate here the concept:

For "summary" I do not mean a "brief" or "subject" of the post/topic, but instead a list of titles of sub sections. Every item of that list is linked to the relative "chapter" of the topic itself, something like an index of a book that shows the page of the book where that chapter of the book starts. But as I mean it, an index is usually placed at the end of the book. A summary instead is placed before the starting of the book itself. At the same manner for summary I mean: a list of links at the start of the page of the topic that a user can click to go instantly to the relative "chapter" or paragraph or article into the same topic or post.
In my example I linked in my previous post, the topic is the site general informative document and rules of the web site/forum. Inside there are more subsection or chapters or articles etc. The summary/index gets and lists the titles of these sections and articles in one place at once. So users can click in one item of the list and jump directly to the linked section.
MS Word has a similar function that automatically "grabs" every title formated in a certain manner and put it into the list. But Word has an index function too that does a similar job.

Hope now it is more clear my concept of "Summary" that in brief is just a list of "chapters".
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The vast majority of discussion topics are not like that though. That would be a very specific application for a board that uses the software more as an archive of information than for discussion, meaning they would need anchors to jump to certain parts of the topic.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

This feature would be more for a CMS or a Wiki...
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

A "Table of Contents" then?

I'm guessing extension still...
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:A "Table of Contents" then?
Yes This is the correct concept! Thank you so much for the precious suggestion M.C.!

I didn't found the correct translation from my language to Eng. Sometimes my English is not good enough to find the correct word to describe the concept I have in my mind...

Summary = Table of Contents
Master_Cylinder

Your English is still better than my German so no problem... ;)

I think it would be better as an Extension.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Your English is still better than my German so no problem... ;)
Thanks
Master_Cylinder wrote:I think it would be better as an Extension.
At the moment I'm using into my website two bbcodes:
The first one at the start of the post, used as a placeholder where the Table of contents will appears.
The second one at the end of the same post that contains the javascript that does the job of compiling the above placeholder.

But it is pretty difficult to use, of course not for me because I programmed it but for users. In fact only few of them use this bbcode and sometimes I edit their long posts to add it, because is very useful to jump instantly in a section of the post. It is some kind of "jump to a chapter" in ebooks.

Might be there is a better, cleaner and more efficient way to implement such feature: just an option "activate table of content for this long post/topic"
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve wrote:This feature would be more for a CMS or a Wiki...

Phpbb is a CMS as well as wiki
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Nope... As well as Typo3 is not a bulletin board.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve wrote:
Nope... As well as Typo3 is not a bulletin board.
Sorry maybe I explicated bad: I meant that phpbb is a CMS (= Content Management System) different from wiki of course but wiki is a CMS too... ;) wiki of course is not a bb.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Ok thats offtopic... But a CMS works completley differently. I made a CMS Mod for phpBB this is a whole different approach.

regards, Dave
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve wrote:Ok thats offtopic... But a CMS works completley differently. I made a CMS Mod for phpBB this is a whole different approach.

regards, Dave
Wiki isn't a cms too?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

phpBB is not a CMS.
Mediawiki can be used as a CMS but that's not its official title.

A CMS is something like joomla or drupal.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “phpBB Ideas”