Auto Edit/Delete Offensive Posts based on Dislike Vote Count

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
*jma*

Re: Auto Edit/Delete Offensive Posts based on Dislike Vote C

Post by *jma* »

It's mostly about making a good first impression to potential new members. It doesn't take much to scare them away, and some people seem to delight in it. It can be hard for the mods to keep up sometimes. This would be like a crowd-sourced moderator.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

I'd use it but not for auto deleting posts. Maybe for hiding them with a note like:
"This post has hidden because has received too much negative votes/ratings/spam reports" or something similar. Giving the user the choice to show it or not clicking on its title and letting the admin to choose if delete it or not.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
*jma*

Post by *jma* »

peopleopinion wrote:I'd use it but not for auto deleting posts. Maybe for hiding them with a note like:
"This post has hidden because has received too much negative votes/ratings/spam reports" or something similar. Giving the user the choice to show it or not clicking on its title and letting the admin to choose if delete it or not.
I agree. Deleting posts isn't really necessary. It might be enough just to hide the offensive titles. Basically what I'm looking for is a way to warn people when they are about to be sucker-punched. :)
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Not really useful for most forum admins but interesting.

Make an extension based on this, it has interesting uses for niche kinds of forums. LoL's forum is a good example of this happening live and it works most of the time.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

brunoais wrote:Not really useful for most forum admins but interesting.

Make an extension based on this, it has interesting uses for niche kinds of forums. LoL's forum is a good example of this happening live and it works most of the time.
I'm not sure that an extension is appropriate for this idea. I think this is a better thing if implemented into the core.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

peopleopinion wrote:
brunoais wrote:Not really useful for most forum admins but interesting.

I'm not sure that an extension is appropriate for this idea. I think this is a better thing if implemented into the core.
No, it shouldn't be in the core, if a few people want it they can make an extension but very few admins would allow such a thing.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:[...] very few admins would allow such a thing.
May I ask How could you be so sure of this?
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
For the same reason they don't make everyone moderators. :roll:
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
But the option to make someone moderator is into the core... This is because options exist: so everyone can choose how the board behaves.
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

so everyone can choose how the board behaves.
But an option (probably) no one would use does not belong in the core...
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

D@ve wrote:
so everyone can choose how the board behaves.
But an option (probably) no one would use does not belong in the core...
EXACTLY! We've tried to explain this to him before, in one of the dozens of flooded ideas, but he doesn't seem to get it. He thinks that because HE wants it that it should be in the core.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
But the option to make someone moderator is into the core... This is because options exist: so everyone can choose how the board behaves.
Virtually, every board needs to have moderators, they don't let EVERYONE moderate. :roll:
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
Virtually, every board needs to have moderators, they don't let EVERYONE moderate. :roll:
Exactly what I meant: admins don't let everyone moderate as well as some of them might want to activate the option of this idea and some other don't... ;)
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote: Exactly what I meant: admins don't let everyone moderate as well as some of them might want to activate the option of this idea and some other don't... ;)
Exactly why it should be an extension, not in the core, only a few would ever use it. :roll:
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote: Exactly what I meant: admins don't let everyone moderate as well as some of them might want to activate the option of this idea and some other don't... ;)
Exactly why it should be an extension, not in the core, only a few would ever use it. :roll:
If for everything that has options or everything only some people use and some others don't will be an extension admins had have a lot of time "mounting" "demounting" and "upgrading" extensions or mods and too few time to dedicate to admin and moderate the board... :roll:

Return to “phpBB Ideas”