peopleopinion
Posted:
Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:02 pm
Rating:
New
peopleopinion

Automatic Categories and Forum reordering

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:02 pm

What about to add an Automatic Categories and Forum reordering feature?

----------

View idea at: Automatic Categories and Forum reordering

Posted by peopleopinion
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

peopleopinion

Re: Automatic Categories and Forum reordering

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:03 pm

See the attachment for more infos
Attachments
Automatic Forum reordering.png
Automatic Forum reordering.png (60.75 KiB) Viewed 129 times
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:34 pm

That might help if an admin takes over a forum that has a lot of forums and he wants them alphabetized for whatever reason but not many forums are alphabetized so this one would be a better extension too. IMHO...

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:54 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:would be a better extension
Agreed!
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:55 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:That might help if an admin takes over a forum that has a lot of forums and he wants them alphabetized for whatever reason but not many forums are alphabetized so this one would be a better extension too. IMHO...
Extensions... mods... extensions... mods..., extensions... too much admin complications... you know what is my thought about them... ;) hope you are very well paid to advertise ext and mods so greatly ;) just joking...

What about to separate each paragraph in phpbb and make an ext or a mod for everything? 8-)...
What about to create an extension or a mod to register users, what about to create an extension or a mod to post pm... another for public posts..., another for upload files... another for download... another for inserting smilies...? If everything proposed is going to be a mod... or extension we don't need more phpbb core developers... :) ... Still joking...
No thanks... Seriously: this is another feature that has to be part of the core IMHO... it is a basic feature like actual manual ordering: manual ordering is an extension? Nope. Actually if an admin has to reorder a much categories, forum, sub forum and topics, has a lot a lot a lot of boring clicks to make to reorder that. Sometime they renounce to reorder, despite reordering facilitate data retrieving: it is a basic principle of every database: ordering and indexing. And titles of categories, forums and topics are data into a database: ordering them with a pair of clicks saves a lot of admins and moderators time and help visual data retrieving and correlate similar titles for both admin and users.

Also I think that for to make easier the reordering procedure there is the need to implement a mouse drag n drop reordering feature, the same as here viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2215556

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:01 am

peopleopinion wrote:it is a basic feature
No, a basic feature is something required for the forum to operate (registering users, for example). Ordering a forum A-Z or Z-A is "fluff".
peopleopinion wrote:if an admin has to reorder a bit categories, forum and sub forum, has a lot a lot a lot of boring clicks to make to reorder that
Most administrators I would think name their forums, order them the way they want, and then never touch them again.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:46 am

t_backoff wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:it is a basic feature
No, a basic feature is [...]
If a reordering feature that helps data retrieving is not a basic feature into a frontend that manage data from a databas, I really don't know what can be more basic... Sorry I don't agree with your theory/philosophy/opinion.
t_backoff wrote:Ordering a forum A-Z or Z-A is "fluff".
If reordering a-z or z-a is fluff then remove the "infinite manual mouse clicking reordering feature" from the core and make it as ext or mod with it too: that is really really an outdated feature. Replacing it with a drag n drop feature is an interesting update: IMHO I don't think there is very much people that still feel the need for phpbb to be too much legacy to tradition... I think instead that it needs a bit more improvements, completions to speed up a bit its managing.
t_backoff wrote:No, a basic feature is something required for the forum to operate (registering users, for example).
Registering users is a feature already implemented from a while: I don't think we need a new implementation for registering users. Do we? I think that "PHPbb Ideas" section is to suggest new ideas to implement with the aim to facilitate admin an staff administration and moderation and user experience, to make phpbb more affordable, user (and staff) friendly... In other words to make this interesting piece of code a fantastic piece of code.
Where am I wrong? Am I too much optimist?

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:19 am

peopleopinion wrote: If reordering a-z or z-a is fluff then remove the "infinite manual mouse clicking reordering feature" from the core and make it as ext or mod with it too: that is really really an outdated feature. Replacing it with a drag n drop feature is an interesting update: IMHO I don't think there is very much people that still feel the need for phpbb to be too much legacy to tradition... I think instead that it needs a bit more improvements, completions to speed up a bit its managing.
Drag and drop ordering is much different than this idea and I think it's been suggested more than once. ;)

BTW:
I vote *for* a lot of ideas, just not this one... :lol:

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:38 am

Drag N drop feature and this one in my opinion are both to implement: they integrate each other.
so as soon as I find the Idea for drag n drop I'll vote it +1 for that too: both are absolutely better than the actual one that is very uncomfortable because slows down a lot the workflow of website/forum management.
However, I'm not sure if drag n drop is compatible with old browser, so, prudentially, I think that the actual one has to be maintained too: both 3 all together.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 pm

"A-Z" and "Z-A" are not well chosen, one might get the impression it will only work with latin characters. There should be the same two comboboxes as in viewtopic and viewforum: the sorting method (name, date) and the sorting direction (ascending, descending).
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:07 am

AmigoJack wrote:"A-Z" and "Z-A" are not well chosen, one might get the impression it will only work with latin characters. There should be the same two comboboxes as in viewtopic and viewforum: the sorting method (name, date) and the sorting direction (ascending, descending).
+1 Good idea A.J.: I like this one more than mine.
I see something similar into User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit Display Options. But here they work only for topics and posts. So there is the need to add two more groups for reordering categories and forums.
At this point admins have to set just the default reordering method for categories, forums, topics and posts. And users can do the same for their own custom Display options.
Attachments
Automatic Forum reordering - Version 2.png
Automatic Forum reordering - Version 2.png (31.16 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Return to “phpBB Ideas”