Prevent posting two times in a row

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Re: Prevent posting two times in a row

Post by peopleopinion »

I know everything said after this my post. Everything said after those posts is solved and handled pretty well by:

Autoquote:
peopleopinion wrote: So imho if the option to activate the merge post feature is present into the ACP every admin can use or not as needed. If it is not present nobody can use even if needed...
In other words I anticipated and solved that doubt earlier: In fact if an admin needs that kind of board behavior activates that option, if not deactivates it and everything is exactly as now is...
So everyone could be against this new feature yet, but because a topic have to evolve please change motivation of the contrariness, otherwise we are locked on a point already solved... Am I wrong?

Anyway is not a huge problem: we had survived till now without...
Last edited by peopleopinion on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

well it is setted up at 1 mln chars per post.
Yet another example of how your wants are not what most people deal with. Most boards have a smaller (default) limit.

I'm tried of explaining the obvious to you. There *ARE* times when multiple posts are better than merged posts, whether you believe that or not. Blocking multiple posts *can* be much worse than allowing them

Good luck...
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Code: Select all

I'm starting now.
Just arrived at the station.
Riding thru lots of tunnels...
Almost there.
Finished my diner.
Those 5 lines should never be auto-merged. Why? Because the post time is lost, hence all the temporal context is gone. Text alone does not contain all the information - one might even use different subjects and/or icons per post, which also vanished.

Another downside of auto-merge: sorting posts by time descending won't sort those 5 lines, whereas it would sort 5 separate posts.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

I get double posts from time to time on my forum. They're usually identical. I suspect this happens because of some network delay preventing the new page from loading immediately following the first post so the user hits the submit button a second time. Merging the two posts would be a bad idea since they're the same. For what it's worth, the flood interval is set to 60 seconds. This still doesn't stop double posts. I usually just delete the second indentical post.
Entropy is maintenance free.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

peopleopinion wrote: I don't like situations like the following in my board:
WhyMergingPosts0.png
Situations like that are prevented by the flood interval that already exists.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Kevin Clark wrote:
WhyMergingPosts0.png
I'm sorry that's not completely correct: the flood interval prevents a user to post more msgs in a certain interval or rather prevents posting more msgs before time lapse is expired but doesn't prevent a certain user to post more messages in a bigger time interval. After the time lapse expires the same user could pubblish another message then another after waiting a while etc. This sometimes could make heavy to read the topic imho.
I know the graphic I made use the same date but that is just an example made copying and pasting the same piece of image to built the example. It is not inteded that user could pubblish 10 messagges in exactly the same second. Hope this helps...
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:
WhyMergingPosts0.png
I'm sorry that's not completely correct: the flood interval prevents a user to post more msgs in a certain interval or rather prevents posting more msgs before time lapse is expired but doesn't prevent a certain user to post more messages in a bigger time interval. After the time lapse expires the same user could pubblish another message then another after waiting a while etc. This sometimes could make heavy to read the topic imho.
I know the graphic I made use the same date but that is just an example made copying and pasting the same piece of image to built the example. It is not inteded that user could pubblish 10 messagges in exactly the same second. Hope this helps...
If you don't like double posts that much, use an extension to block but you'll drive members away when they want to post something appropriate and they get blocked. :roll:
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

peopleopinion wrote:I'm sorry that's not completely correct:
Of course it is.
The interval prevents users from posting multiples times in a short period. Anything more than a minute or two between posts shouldn't really be considered as double posting. And besides which, what does it really matter if I posted twice in 10 minutes to a topic rather than just editing my last post. It doesn't really cause any problems.

This would work as a MOD for boards that particularly have a reason for it, but I don't think it needs to be a core feature.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

Kevin Clark wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:The main one is to prevent double posting for same user.
Why is that a problem?
a)
We want to limit the posts to 5000 charachters (we had posts with 20.000 characters and more, and this is simply too much). We use the character limit for that, but the users can overcome the limit simply by double postings.
phpBB has a character limit and this just makes sence if you can disallow double posts.

b)
Sometimes people are just to lazy to edit their posts. So they just add a second one, or third, fourth and fifth one. This is anoying

c)
People are not very patient and bump their posts.

So in fact I think this is a good idea. Actually the best thing would be to have a new permission for that "can answer own posts" so we have maximum flexibility and can exclude mods or some forums.

regards, Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

a) What difference does it make if they break a 20k char post down into 4 posts all together or separated by another user? Why is ABABABA ok but not AABAABB or even AAAABBB? Whether they do it in a row or after somebody else posts, they still get to post 20k chars. Your way is just harder to read because the multi-posts are more broken up.

b) Being blocked when you try to post is annoying too. Having to wait for somebody *else* to post so that you can make another post is annoying. Which rule drives more members away, allowing double posts or blocking them? ;)

c) Bumping is the end of the world how? Does your host charge you per post? Can't you just make a rule about bumping if you have to be that controlling?

Still waiting for a good reason for this but we haven't seen one, it's an imaginary problem. Blocking can be worse than multi-posting and multi-posting isn't that bad once you think about it. For the few that really THINK they need it...extension. ;)
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

a) What difference does it make if they break a 20k char post down into 4 posts all together or separated by another user?
Big difference. We forced user to first THINK before they write, to make it short and don't write essays via copy/paste. We also prevented a lot of copyright problems by this.
It also prevent full quotes. Posts are a much more readable

b) Being blocked when you try to post is annoying too
Of course its anoyying. To have one person posting 10 times in row with 5000 characters each is also annoying (but for everyone)
There is no better way to kill a good discussion than to write postings with 10.000 characters and more.
c) Bumping is the end of the world how?
No, but if it is too often it is also annoying for all users (there is a reason why it is forbidden to bump to otften)
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

a) You haven't prevented anything by forcing them to wait until somebody else posts. They still make 4 posts with 5k chars each, they just have to wait for somebody to post between. ABABABAB is still 20k chars for A or B and AAAABBBB is the same. The only difference is A is being forced to wait until B posted to continue. I don't care if it's 10 chars or 10k chars, blocking is bad.

b) I'd rather read 10 10k char posts in a row than be blocked once because somebody else has to post first. Maybe it's cultural but I'd skip a forum that was like that but if I found a particular user annoying enough I'd just ignore them or warn them as an admin. As I told PO, blocking multiple posts is worse than reading them.

c) Not as annoying as having to wait for userB to post so userA can post again. Bumping can be handled with rules, warnings and bans if needed but *blocking* multiple posts will make users want to go elsewhere.

I don't see this kind of thing ever being included in the core since only a few would ever want it. Double posting just isn't that bad for most. This is a pretty busy site and double posting is allowed here because it's not a problem. It's an imaginary problem, imho, that should be solved by a MOD/extension if you absolutely have to stop users instead of relying on rules.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”