automatic check location and then select board languge

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
MR-AMIR
Name: Amir Hossein Hossein Zadeh

automatic check location and then select board languge

Post by MR-AMIR » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 am

Hi
I think it is a simple Features for users...
Always i search for a MOD to auto view user location and IP and also change board language...
example: If i visit of site with IRAN IP show iran flags and then auto change board language to Persian...

----------

View idea at: automatic check location and then select board languge

Posted by MR-AMIR
My Website: www.MyAvacs.com
My Favourite Style: Prime

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: automatic check location and then select board languge

Post by KevC » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Not as a built in core function. There are far too many exceptions to your rule and besides which IP is generally a terrible way of determining anything.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:44 pm

If it was from the accept-language (I think it uses it already), then it would be right. From the IP, no way! I'm already sick enough that many websites appear in brazilian portuguese where I'm asking them to appear in english!

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 am

Same as above: HTTP provides Accept-Language for every client since ages, whereas a location has nothing to do with a language (mind all those nations with multiple languages).
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Ack! If I go on holiday to Europe and want to log into a forum, I don't want it to switch me from English to a language I don't know. :o

I already write on a French forum (when I do not speak French) and I have to get Google Translate to help me find the buttons for logging in and posting there. If phpBB implemented this as a feature, and a forum automatically assumed I did not want to be using English, it would actually make things harder for me.

However, what might be nice is if the forum could ask a question along the lines of: "It looks like you are browsing from Persia - do you want the forum to talk to you in Persian?"* when people were creating accounts. Something like that might help multi-language forums. However, I suspect that most forums are used by people who speak a single language. So I would say this should be a mod rather than a core features.

* = At the risk of replacing Bertie with Clippy! :P
David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Return to “phpBB Ideas”