Markdown

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Markdown

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:33 am

The goal of markdown is to be more natural in the flow. Sure, we can type out bold BBCode, or italicize for emphasis, but that doesn't flow as well, and taking your hands off the keyboard to reach for the buttons doesn't make for nice, uninterrupted communication.

Wouldn't be be *much* nicer if a more natural, flow of thought was _encouraged_ through the use of markdown?

* Making a list
* checking it twice
* That's what this wishlist is
* shaking it all up

> Quoting non-quotes is easy to do too. We probably don't want to encourage the fake Albert Einstein quotes, but hey, if it means I don't have to take my fingers off the keyboard or each out of the way, it's good for business. - Micheal

~~~
<?php

use Micheal\is\super;

$whoIs = new Micheal\is\super();
$whoIs->awesome('Micheal');
~~~

You'll thank me later.

----------

View idea at: Markdown

Posted by Techie-Micheal
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: Markdown

Post by Paul » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:20 am

Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:27 am

It's not official until it is an Idea(tm). :P

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:taking your hands off the keyboard to reach for the buttons
Most buttons have access keys. Based on which internet browser you use you already have your shortcuts. I.e. I press ALT+SHIFT+B for b, ALT+SHIFT+W for url and ALT+SHIFT+Q for quote. If that's the intention you're re-inventing the wheel.
Techie-Micheal wrote:* Making a list
* checking it twice
How to nest lists? How to use roman ordinals?
Techie-Micheal wrote:> Quoting non-quotes
Ironically this is already done when BBCode is not allowed.
Techie-Micheal wrote:You'll thank me
Improbable.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:08 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:taking your hands off the keyboard to reach for the buttons
Most buttons have access keys. Based on which internet browser you use you already have your shortcuts. I.e. I press ALT+SHIFT+B for b, ALT+SHIFT+W for url and ALT+SHIFT+Q for quote. If that's the intention you're re-inventing the wheel.
No. To restate what I already said, since you didn't bother to quote the entirety, the goal is to avoid awkward key combinations or taking your hands off the keyboard. Simplistic, readable text is what markdown is for.

To quote what I said since you wanted to try to take it out of context:
Techie-Micheal wrote:The goal of markdown is to be more natural in the flow. Sure, we can type out bold BBCode, or italicize[/] for emphasis, but that doesn't flow as well, and taking your hands off the keyboard to reach for the buttons doesn't make for nice, uninterrupted communication.

Wouldn't be be *much* nicer if a more natural, flow of thought was _encouraged_ through the use of markdown?

AmigoJack wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:* Making a list
* checking it twice
How to nest lists? How to use roman ordinals?
Easy:

Code: Select all

* This is level 1
   * This is level 2
      1. We can even have numbers
      2. As easy as 1, 2, and
      3. See?
AmigoJack wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:> Quoting non-quotes
Ironically this is already done when BBCode is not allowed.
And?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:12 am

Techie-Micheal wrote:you didn't bother to quote the entirety
I always quoting exactly that portion I'm refering to - it was fully intentional. Consider everything non-quoted to be out of interest for or not having an opinion of by me.
Techie-Micheal wrote:awkward key combinations
Subjective. As keyboard layouts differ to every nation+language even "easy" characters like * (Czech: ALT GR) and _ (french Canadians: ALT GR) can be annoying - not to speak of where they are positioned.
Techie-Micheal wrote:readable text is what markdown is for
This comes with precision loss - while you can easily *bold* your text with that I wonder how often it will collide with mathematics, self-censoring and non-numbered footnotes.
Techie-Micheal wrote:* This is level 1
Yes I see: bullets and arabic ordinals - are those my only options (in question of rendering the output)? Can line breaks still be used? How to start the list not with 1 (yes, by default phpBB can't do that either, but it's trivial to add this functionality)?
Techie-Micheal wrote:And?
I wanted to point out the coincidence and the problem arising when formatting interpretations are disabled: then your nested lists done with indention are not easily readable anymore, since whitespaces collapse in HTML.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:22 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:you didn't bother to quote the entirety
I always quoting exactly that portion I'm refering to - it was fully intentional. Consider everything non-quoted to be out of interest for or not having an opinion of by me.
Meanwhile, you are getting it wrong.
AmigoJack wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:awkward key combinations
Subjective. As keyboard layouts differ to every nation+language even "easy" characters like * (Czech: ALT GR) and _ (french Canadians: ALT GR) can be annoying - not to speak of where they are positioned.
So is assuming people want to continue to use BBCode.
AmigoJack wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:readable text is what markdown is for
This comes with precision loss - while you can easily *bold* your text with that I wonder how often it will collide with mathematics, self-censoring and non-numbered footnotes.
And BBCode has its own problems. Show me a perfect way to manage styling outside of HTML and CSS, and I'll show you a system that doesn't exist.
AmigoJack wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:* This is level 1
Yes I see: bullets and arabic ordinals - are those my only options (in question of rendering the output)? Can line breaks still be used? How to start the list not with 1 (yes, by default phpBB can't do that either, but it's trivial to add this functionality)?
So you want a markdown parser to handle starting a list with something other than 1, even though phpBB's BBCode can't do it by default? Sure, if you change the parser to handle it. Yes, line breaks can be used. You can even do

i. Test
i. Test 2
i. Test 3
to product the result:

a. Test
b. Test 2
c. Test 3
if you really felt the need to.
AmigoJack wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:And?
I wanted to point out the coincidence and the problem arising when formatting interpretations are disabled: then your nested lists done with indention are not easily readable anymore, since whitespaces collapse in HTML.
Actually it doesn't. phpBB can't handle generating HTML that doesn't collapse. That has nothing to do with nesting lists in markdown.

combuster

Post by combuster » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:13 am

While I like the idea, I would suggest to not use Markdown, but Creole. Its kind of a superset of several markdown- and wiki-syntaxs and aims to get a new standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_(markup)

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Name: Jakub

Post by Senky » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 am

This is really great idea. It would be great, if phpBB would allow Extension writers to replace currently used BBCode system by custom one. Just like captchas, etc. One would pick from the syntax it fits for their board the best. Of course, that wysiwyg editor is another story (you can create wysiwyg editor for any kind of syntax).

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:43 am

What about to implement a real full rich text editor with icons instead bbcodes buttons?
There are plenty good solution even extensions that could be implemented into the core to replace bbcode system once for all. Of course giving admins the possibility to add their own buttons and related functions when needed. But if the rich text editor is complete nobody will need to add new buttons.
Actual markdown based on BBcodes is old school IMHO: retirement time ;) .
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:46 am

peopleopinion wrote:What about to implement a real full rich text editor with icons instead bbcodes buttons?
There are plenty good solution even extensions that could be implemented into the core to replace bbcode system once for all. Of course giving admins the possibility to add their own buttons and related functions when needed. But if the rich text editor is complete nobody will need to add new buttons.
A rich text editor with what? HTML? Allowing users to use HTML is a bad idea.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:48 am

Techie-Micheal wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:What about to implement a real full rich text editor with icons instead bbcodes buttons?
A rich text editor with what? HTML? Allowing users to use HTML is a bad idea.
Not all HTML just what needed.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:03 pm

You can select which HTML tags you don't want to render using something like HTML Purifier, which I'm using in my Parsedown Extra package for Laravel.
Some of my phpBB extensions: [ Imgur | SEO Metadata | Markdown ]
Check out all my extensions
Arch Linux user

Return to “phpBB Ideas”