https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Ger

Re: Avatar resize in core

Post by Ger »

SalazarAG wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:48 pm I already know these tutorials, and Dion Design (for 3.2) really works. But the problem is that it is stressful to make this snippet every time you have to upgrade the forum to another version, which is why it would be cool if resizing avatars was a default feature. .
Well, not a default feature, but from phpBB 3.2.3 you can use this simple extension. It even works on 3.2.2 but it requires 1 manual edit to a core file to pass the required variable to the event.
Once you have your board updated to 3.2.3-RC1 or higher it will work on an unmodified phpBB installation.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

faustjonson2 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 amSometimes it's hard to find a good avatar in the required sizes
Edit it/them to suit your purpose then and set Enable avatar uploading to Yes.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Mick wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 am
faustjonson2 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 amSometimes it's hard to find a good avatar in the required sizes
Edit it/them to suit your purpose then and set Enable avatar uploading to Yes.
This is what we did/do, not what we should be doing. That's why this idea was born. Have a look at its rating. ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I’m aware of that but does no-one edit images any more? It seems with a lot of ideas (I voted for this too BTW) that we’re getting to the stage where users want everything done automatically via the ACP.
    " - Harmony Cobel
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Apparently yes - I had one user in my board edit an avatar size for two of his friends as they had no clue how to do it...
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:41 pm I’m aware of that but does no-one edit images any more? It seems with a lot of ideas (I voted for this too BTW) that we’re getting to the stage where users want everything done automatically via the ACP.
The features within phpBB need to cater to the users needs within reason, not everyone knows how to resize images or cares to learn. Even those that do find it bothersome to have to open an image editor to resize an image, those functions are already available in phpBB so most of the work is already done. I'm using image Imagemagik so adding this feature was fairly straight forward, think it was 2 or 3 lines.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Mick wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:41 pm I’m aware of that but does no-one edit images any more? It seems with a lot of ideas (I voted for this too BTW) that we’re getting to the stage where users want everything done automatically via the ACP.
Nope. The average person doesn't. They are accustomed to smartphone apps and expect that you should just be able to upload photos directly from a device and have it rotate and resize to requirements - or even have the option to upload directly from a device's camera (vBulletin can now do this for post attachments by the way). We all know how quick and easy it is to resize images simply using MSPaint or one of the dozens of online avatar resizing tools, but the average user these days is very different to 10 or even 5 years ago and IMO software needs to cater to this average unsophisticated user.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I would say the average user today should be on the ball, there was no internet and very basic computers when a lot of us started out. People today are taught computing in school and have connected devices from the age of 18 months, some from birth by the looks of it. There's no excuse for not being able to edit an image really apart from bone idleness. There's also this thing that users want to post the biggest images they can find like 2240 x 1680 when, for normal useage, 640 x 480 is plenty for a bulletin board. I’m surprised no ones requested auto-transparency.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Ger

Post by Ger »

One might know how, but one might not need to do it by hand when it's very easily automated.

You are perfectly capable of walking from home to work every day, but it's very convenient to have a car, bike, train, bus, etc.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Mick wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:11 pm I would say the average user today should be on the ball, there was no internet and very basic computers when a lot of us started out. People today are taught computing in school and have connected devices from the age of 18 months, some from birth by the looks of it. There's no excuse for not being able to edit an image really apart from bone idleness. There's also this thing that users want to post the biggest images they can find like 2240 x 1680 when, for normal useage, 640 x 480 is plenty for a bulletin board.
The person ages 35-50 has better patience and willingness to learn new things. When the Internet came along, we were curious and wanted to learn how to use it. The younger generation expects it to work for them. Other people just aren't techy and struggle to learn new things. People who run forums on a non-tech general subject of interest, eg cars, attract a wide range of potentially interested users and, although I agree resizing images is not hard, it is a bit elitist to keep software as it is and assume our users should just adapt. This is part of why forums are hemorrhaging users to social media. They'd rather walk and use a different platform that meets their needs rathan than adapt.

Images are that large because the vast majority of people are taking photos with their smartphone with super high mega-pixel cameras. They have no idea how to lower quality settings and just stick with the default resolution of the device. Of course, it is easy to edit photos from a phone and reduce image size etc. But put yourself in someone else's shoes - they have no reason to learn how to change things because they are accustomed to modern platforms reducing any images and enabling them to easily edit them on the fly...Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat all do this out of the box. This is something that has been pretty much standard for 10 years. Why shouldn't they expect phpBB to do the same?
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:11 pm People today are taught computing in school and have connected devices from the age of 18 months, some from birth by the looks of it.
phpBB is used by a very wide swath of people and I would suggest the average age of those people is late 30's to 40's. Younger people gravitate to other services like Facebook. I have members in their 80's, they may not know how to resize an image but they know the topic well. I don't think it's too much for them to expect to not have to go through the hoops of resizing an image for an avatar.

Regardless of whether they grew up with a phone in their hand or are 90 years old the software they are using should be as easy to use as possible. I've been resizing digital images since the early 90's and it's just a hassle for something like a avatar.

To reiterate most of the code required to do this is already written and has been going back to 2007.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Lenni

Post by Lenni »

YES! I am setting up a basic family forum for my family and I forgot about this limitation.. Would be nice to auto resize it to fit!
Ger

Post by Ger »

Lenni wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 am YES! I am setting up a basic family forum for my family and I forgot about this limitation.. Would be nice to auto resize it to fit!
You can try my extension, only needs a tiny edit in a core file as described there.
My extensions:

Lewis L
Name: Lewis

Post by Lewis L »

Wouldn't this break phpBB's gif avatar support? If a giv avatar is resized with this, it will break the gif and save a static image.

Ideally there should be an option to toggle avatar resize off or exclude it for gif avatars.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It would continue to work as it did before because you don't resize images if they fit within the allowable dimensions. You would just need to note that animated gif's above the allowable size are not supported for resizing.

Optionally animated gif's can be supported but I don't believe they are supported out of the box by most servers.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”