Add emoji list

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
sysz
Name: Kimmy Lindell Ekström

Add emoji list

Post by sysz »

Since phpBB 3.2 now support emoji i think there also should be an option to show an emoji list instead of smilies list in the post reply page. It make sense since emoji is pretty much used by most modern people today.
Currently working on the community
david63

Re: Add emoji list

Post by david63 »

I believe that the main problem with doing that is that the Emoji libraries are not very well maintained and are liable to disappear at any moment.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

I actually quite like that idea, as long as it's a link that wouldn't bloat up the posting editor itself too much. Maybe under the "More smilies" link, add something like "Emoji list".
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

JimA wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:15 pm I actually quite like that idea, as long as it's a link that wouldn't bloat up the posting editor itself too much. Maybe under the "More smilies" link, add something like "Emoji list".
You could do a scrollable list if there would be to much of them. I think there is already an extension for that for the smilies.
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Leinad4Mind
Translator

Post by Leinad4Mind »

That's why I've created some "smilies" pack with emojis .svg images. And it's working perfectly on 3.2.

But yeah, a picker would be nice to have if people want to keep smilies too.
And a ticket was already created for that: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14963

Cheers
Want to access all my portuguese MOD and Extension translations?
Become my Patreon!
phpBB Portugal Translator and Moderator
Selective

Post by Selective »

I'm creating a bunch of custom emojis and when I started uploading them, I noticed a huge problem! They are not contained in a scrollable window and they are not in a popup window either!

I remember many years ago, there was a guy that created a website where people posting on his forum, would have a single Smilies button that would popup a rectangle window of scrollable emojis. Then you would just scroll them in that popup window, and click on one, and it would put the code into the edit (topic/post page) for you.

Can we have something like that?

The guy that had built that was the guy that created, owned, and ran "FindAGoth" and that was his website that he had the script on! FindAGoth doesn't exist anymore! It's gone!

We need someone like that guy, in charge of the smilies script.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

I voted yes, that's why:
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14963

That's a must have IMHO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

More bloat in my opinion.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:04 am I voted yes, that's why:
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14963

That's a must have IMHO.
Then please include a switch, button whatever to allow complete blocking of that feature. I fully agree with smilies and wouldn't want to lose that, but emoji's are going a bit too far from: nowadays people can't talk anymore, let alone show a sincere expression unless (or perhaps I should state: not even with) emojicoticon(itwits).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Selective

Post by Selective »

Smileys/Emojis/Emoticons, whatever you want to call them... the ones that came with phpBB are stupid and ugly, and most on the internet are too large and stupid.

I'm creating a set of really cool HD ones with transparent backgrounds, all at the size of 42x42, and I'm simplifying them to only the most basic and needed of expressions.

Once they are done, I could see about making a download for the set, here on phpBB.

For the moment, I rewrote the posting page script, so that it has a scrollable box to the right with a vertical scroll, and they are shown in rows of 10, for all of the Smileys/Emojis/Emoticons.
Last edited by Selective on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Selective wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:05 am the ones that came with phpBB are stupid and ugly, and most on the internet are too large and stupid.
Emojis can be intelligent?

PS the "emojis" that "come with phpBB" are from emojione IIRC. 😉
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

In my board I optimized the editor layout and filled the free space with a list of symbols (not only emojis), which appears just under the smileys and is also scrollable:
20180126 emojis.png
Best part is: I'm not using any libraries to re-interpret the symbols by pictures - they're displayed just like the chosen font supports it. The code is as simple as this (shortened):

Code: Select all

$aEmoji= array
	( 0x2605=> 'Black star'
	, 0x1F427=> 'Penguin'
	, 0x1F4A9=> 'Pile of poo'
	, 0x1F606=> 'Smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes'
	);

foreach( $aEmoji as $iEmoji=> $sEmoji )
	$template-> assign_block_vars
	( 'emoji', array
		( 'CODE'=> '&#'. $iEmoji. ';'
		, 'TITLE'=> $sEmoji
		)
	);
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

AmigoJack wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:05 am In my board I optimized the editor layout and filled the free space with a list of symbols (not only emojis), which appears just under the smileys and is also scrollable:
20180126 emojis.png
Best part is: I'm not using any libraries to re-interpret the symbols by pictures - they're displayed just like the chosen font supports it. The code is as simple as this (shortened):

Code: Select all

$aEmoji= array
	( 0x2605=> 'Black star'
	, 0x1F427=> 'Penguin'
	, 0x1F4A9=> 'Pile of poo'
	, 0x1F606=> 'Smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes'
	);

foreach( $aEmoji as $iEmoji=> $sEmoji )
	$template-> assign_block_vars
	( 'emoji', array
		( 'CODE'=> '&#'. $iEmoji. ';'
		, 'TITLE'=> $sEmoji
		)
	);
This looks dope thanks for that :)
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Selective

Post by Selective »

@AmigoJack

Very cool, thanks for sharing that.

For those waiting for my custom Emojis, I'm actually building a new forum from the ground up, and the new custom emojis are last on the priority list. So it could be a few more months before I can get back to them. I will finish them eventually though, once I get some other stuff out of the way first.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

the new theme will have an emoji picker that integrates custom emojis i.e. smiles. I am already working on it

viewtopic.php?p=15215646#p15215646

Return to “phpBB Ideas”