Two factor authentication (2FA)

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Post Reply
Ideas Bot
Registered User
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am

Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by Ideas Bot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Add support for the two factor authentication in phpBB forum.
2FA is the standard now. Wordpress, Joomla, others have it. Google authenticator or similar is a proven tool.
It's time to build it in phpBB to provide better users protection.

User avatar
WelshPaul
Registered User
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by WelshPaul » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Been using Two factor authentication (2FA) (Via extension) on my forum for a year or more now. I agree, it should be built in to phpBB as standard.

User avatar
david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 15293
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by david63 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 am

Don't have a problem with it as such, just as long as it is a user option.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

ukautoforums
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:00 am

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by ukautoforums » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 am

Yes, opt in for users. Ability to use something like Google Authentication app.

Would be ideal for admin accounts and moderator accounts.

User avatar
tojag
Registered User
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland, EU
Name: Gregory

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by tojag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 pm

It should be option for users, of course but built in phpbb. Now, I am using Google Authenticator in joomla sites and Direct Admin panel.

Bermudez
Registered User
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: Spain
Name: Juan Antonio
Contact:

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by Bermudez » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 am

WelshPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm
Been using Two factor authentication (2FA) (Via extension) on my forum for a year or more now. I agree, it should be built in to phpBB as standard.
Please, Where can I find that extension?

Regards.

User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by warmweer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Bermudez wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 am
WelshPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm
Been using Two factor authentication (2FA) (Via extension) on my forum for a year or more now. I agree, it should be built in to phpBB as standard.
Please, Where can I find that extension?

Regards.
Did you search?
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2341856
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Bermudez
Registered User
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: Spain
Name: Juan Antonio
Contact:

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by Bermudez » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:15 pm

warmweer wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:15 pm
Bermudez wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 am
WelshPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm
Been using Two factor authentication (2FA) (Via extension) on my forum for a year or more now. I agree, it should be built in to phpBB as standard.
Please, Where can I find that extension?

Regards.
Did you search?
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2341856
I think I hurried for ask before search.
Sorry and thanks.

User avatar
Scanialady
Registered User
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: Germany
Name: Annette
Contact:

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by Scanialady » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:18 am

david63 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 am
Don't have a problem with it as such, just as long as it is a user option.
...and if you are not forced to use a data octopus for it. What about the old school way to put in an Q&A or phone number or any kind of normal things we don't need Google, Facebook or NSA for?
Webseite, Blog, Wiki Deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.

User avatar
tojag
Registered User
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland, EU
Name: Gregory

Re: Two factor authentication (2FA)

Post by tojag » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 am

Starting from v.4.8, phpMyAdmin supports 2FA. I use it.
So, now I have 2FA in the Direct Admin Panel, phpMyAdmin, Joomla. Only phpBB remained in my system without this security :(

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Ideas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests