Payments, Subscriptions and Donations

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
atom0s

Payments, Subscriptions and Donations

Post by atom0s » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 pm

One of the biggest missing features in phpBB is the ability to give users a way to buy subscriptions, pay for things or simply donate to the forum.

Some features of each would be:

Subscriptions
  • Purchasing access to a hidden forum.
  • Purchasing access to special forum features. (Ranks, Usergroups, Name/Title changes, etc.)
  • Purchasing access to special downloads.
  • Automatic recurring charges.
  • Automatic user group adjustments when purchased and when expired etc.
Payments
  • Same as above, but as one-time payments rather than recurring subscriptions.
Donations
  • A donation bar/goal to be displayed on the forum somewhere.
  • Perks for donations such as putting users in a donation user group automatically.
  • Perks for donations such as giving users the ability to change their name or title.
And much much more. This is one of the biggest things I feel phpBB is lacking that causes people to seek other forum software. Having this built-in and well-maintained by the phpBB team would be awesome.

There are tons of payment endpoints that can be added and expanded on, some of the most common being:
- Paypal
- Stripe
- Bitcoin

A lot of custom features could be implemented into this as mini-plugins to the payment system as well. Custom forum setups could have all kinds of fun things like buying permissions, buying all kinds of postbit modifications, the ability to post certain things like images/html, etc.

Endless features and possibilities could come from a system like this.
Cloudflare support for phpBB 3.1.10+ / 3.2.x - https://github.com/atom0s/phpbb-extension-cloudflare

Toxyy

Re: Payments, Subscriptions and Donations

Post by Toxyy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:56 am

+10

Actually I've lost a few contracts because this feature was missing. People want to be able to make money from their forums and having a subscription service that you can automatically set to do its job with time periods and expiration, etc etc... It would be very nice to have. Donate groups are pretty common with forums, especially bigger forums. Something like this should be included with Phpbb and I think to would make this forum software a lot more attractive.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:07 pm

This has a very limited audience so has "extension" written all over it. This has no place in the core IMO.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

atom0s

Post by atom0s » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:44 am

DavidIQ wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:07 pm
This has a very limited audience so has "extension" written all over it. This has no place in the core IMO.
I don't see how it is considered 'very limited'.. what proof or stats do you have to back that claim up?
Seems pretty unfair to just dislike an idea because you don't want it or don't need it.

Every other leading forum platform has this type of feature built in with the ability to extend off it.
- Simple Machines Forums has it. (Called Paid Subscriptions) [Free]
- IPB / IPS has it. (Called Commerce) [Paid]
- vBulletin has it. (Called Paid Subscriptions) [Paid]
- Xenforo has it. (Called User Upgrades) [Paid]

To name a few. Seems very unfortunate that this is being ignored cause of bias.
Cloudflare support for phpBB 3.1.10+ / 3.2.x - https://github.com/atom0s/phpbb-extension-cloudflare

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:32 am

atom0s wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:44 am
I don't see how it is considered 'very limited'.. what proof or stats do you have to back that claim up?
Seems pretty unfair to just dislike an idea because you don't want it or don't need it.

To name a few. Seems very unfortunate that this is being ignored cause of bias.
I very clearly said "IMO" or "In My Opinion" in case you are unaware of what that means. I'm pretty sure I as well as anyone else can give an opinion just as you have given your opinion. At no moment did that mean this idea is to be completely ignored or not done. However I'm just one vote out of the (currently) 13 that didn't like this idea and I haven't set this idea to "invalid".

As far as I'm aware the Auto Groups extension has the capability to do this already, except it has to be extended by another add-on. Problem there is that there hasn't been anyone wanting to do it.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Whether or not it's included in core or not, it's a necessary extension to make phpbb a competitive forum software. I know at least 5 forums offhand that this kind of feature, and it's hard to name a lot of forums offhand as it is.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics

Return to “phpBB Ideas”