Editing templates in ACP

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Toxyy

Editing templates in ACP

Post by Toxyy »

I've been working with vbulletin a lot recently, and you're able to change style templates from the ACP because that's how it's set up. This would be great for phpbb.

Yes, ftp is there and available and easily accessible. But sometimes, you need to make a quick fix or change, or you're only working on one page of a template for a little while, and for these situations, at least for me, native template editing support would help. I'm sure there are other scenarios.

Editing templates for extensions would be even better but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself here.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Editing templates in ACP

Post by KevC »

That used to be in 3.0 and was taken out because it caused more problems than it solved, mainly on sites where people didn't realise that clearing the cache lost all their edits if they hadn't exported the changes. Also on sites where the hosts ran an auto update and lost it all for them.

I can possibly see a case for a css colour changer built in so that at least you can colour code your site to suit the subject very easily.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
ukautoforums

Post by ukautoforums »

Why couldn't PHPBB save the edits back to the actually physical file?

That's how it works in Wordpress etc.

It's so much easier, means you can make a quick edit and save it from a browser without having to FTP into it.

I would not expect to lose the changes if an update was applied, if the cache was cleared etc.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Because it was 15 years ago, not now.

I don't think it was ever intended to be used a full editor in the way people used it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
mykee

Post by mykee »

+1 I need this editor to 3.2 or higher. I used under 3.0 versions for template quick fix or edit style (change background or color). I haven't FTP in my work, and I cannot download original file to modify this. I prefer/use Codemirror under Joomla or Wordpress too, I hope this will implement under PHPBB too.
Elsensee
Former Team Member
Name: Oliver Schramm

Post by Elsensee »

In my opinion, this idea doesn't belong to the core but instead to an extension. That would be perfect. There is no place in the core for this as the use case is limited.
Development Team Member
I don't make bugs - I make features

Return to “phpBB Ideas”