User per user definable standard search settings / Save search settings

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
bug-i

User per user definable standard search settings / Save search settings

Post by bug-i »

I would like to see that every user can define standard search settings. For example I almost only search the topics only and do list only the topics. In order to do that I have to go to advanced settings and select every time what I need. It would be nice if every user could define A) his own standard and if possible B) save several settings and use them with a dropdown directly in the searchbar.
AmigoJack

Re: User per user definable standard search settings / Save search settings

Post by AmigoJack »

bug-i wrote:I have to go to advanced settings and select every time what I need
Then get a better internet browser - I can define my own search engines, so everything I have to do is typing b search text into the address line for searching my board with all parameters I use or d other people to query my favorite search engine. Opera did that more than 7 years ago already (nowadays have a look at Vivaldi).
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Holger

Post by Holger »

AmigoJack wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:33 am
Then get a better internet browser - I can define my own search engines, so everything I have to do is typing b search text into the address line for searching my board with all parameters I use or d other people to query my favorite search engine. Opera did that more than 7 years ago already (nowadays have a look at Vivaldi).
A better browser? Define own search engines? What does that have to do with the OP?
Sorry if I misunderstand!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

It means that this kind of user settings is best done at a higher level, not per used software. Effectively all he asks for is a bookmark, which is handled by the internet browser better that the board software itself. A search request is only an address with parameters, and that combined with user input is a flexible bookmark.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

AmigoJack wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:33 am
I heard a great quote once, at the time Apple was killing Samsung and the question was asked "Why Samsung with their six gazillion engineers were being run over by Apple?". The answer, because they have six gazillion engineers.

Software needs to built to your audience and your primary audience for phpBB is Joe six pack.

I implemented what the OP requested years ago because my Joe Six Pack members simply wanted the ability to exclude forums from all default searches because they have 0 interest in what they contain. They don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops nor should they, the simple page in their control panel that lets them check off a forum to filter it out suffices.

Being able to personalize default searches seems like a very reasonable request, not sure I understand why there would be so many down votes for such a request.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Holger

Post by Holger »

^this
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

thecoalman wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:38 amSoftware needs to built to your audience
I sense exactly that over the years already, even including games as software: nobody reads a manual or help section anymore, hence not grasping how to work with/play it efficiently. Today I'm feeling lucky when I have shortcuts and am not forced using a GUI that only accepts mouse input. Thanks to "Joe Six Pack" today's software workflow is less reliable and slower to process than in the past.
thecoalman wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:38 amThey don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops nor should they
It all ends at being able to learn - and would you rather know how to do it on countless software at once (thru your internet browser), or only at one specific one (thru your UCP settings, which means you don't even have this when being a guest on another website using the same software)? Yes, learning can indeed be "hoops" to people, but often it feels like cherry picking. Or being unable to grasp that you would improve after having learnt something.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

AmigoJack wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 pm Thanks to "Joe Six Pack" today's software workflow is less reliable and slower to process than in the past.
That may be true but unless it's software designed for professionals the audience is Joe Six pack, that's just reality.
It all ends at being able to learn -
99% of the people that come to my website are not interested in wasting their time learning how to bookmark a custom search on a phpBB forum. They are interested in learning about the main topic for my site. It's my job to provide to them the easiest way to do that.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Ideas”