Heo32
Posted:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm
Rating:
New
Ideas Bot

Forum rules, now Notices, etc.

Post by Ideas Bot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm

"Forum rules" can be used at the top of forums with a pink background and red letters. It really stands out as a warning. However, such text may not necessarily be used to inform users of rules. I use it to give notices to users that are browsing through forums. Sometimes, extra information is needed at the top. It delivers messages faster and more easily than trying to get users to read Announcements or a Sticky.

What I propose is to have some flexibility for forum Admins when they wish to leave some text to be displayed at the top of a forum for the purpose of notifying users browsing through forums.

1) It would be nice to be able to choose the title. Not everyone uses it as "Forum rules". The flexibility to change the title to something else, such as "Notice" for example, would be appropriate in some instances. It should be optional to choose a title for what it is.

2) It would also be nice to be able to choose different colours. For example, I would like to choose something else other than a pink background with red text. Having the option to choose other colours (e.g. light lime green) would be a little friendlier on the eyes for users to read.

Elias
Name: Elias

Re: Forum rules, now Notices, etc.

Post by Elias » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:25 pm

"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Heo32

Post by Heo32 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:51 am

I'm not interested in using extensions for my site.

By your logic, it would be best that they simply remove the code that makes "Forum rules" possible from the core. I don't want basic functionality with one option only. I'm not interested in providing a notice to my users that says "Forum rules" when the message being delivered is clearly not.

If they took out the "Forum rules" code from the core of phpBB and made it exclusively an extension with the ability to change the text and background colours to whatever anyone wishes, then that would be ideal considering that no one is currently able to customize it to their specific needs as it stands. What's the point in having it in the core of phpBB in the first place? Not every notice is about rules.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:55 am

Heo32 wrote:choose the title
Right now it supports multiple languages - a custom title could be a problem. A better idea would be to have no title at all (in your case).
Heo32 wrote:choose different colours
Right now each style defines colors that fit - custom colors could be an optical problem when they should all fit different styles.

In both cases you're better off just modifying the existing files.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

Return to “phpBB Ideas”