ZNC
Posted:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:01 am
Rating:
New
ZNC

Hide the admin per Default

Post by ZNC » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:01 am

I am not an accomplished phpBB user. That's why it took time to hide the administrators in my forum - especially with help from the German phpBB community. It is nice that it is possible through the ACP settings, but phpBB users are often lays and for them just at the beginning the securing of the forum is hard.

Therefore it would be nice, if it were the other way around: so by default the administrators would not appear in the legend or in the team list.

PS: Excuse my english.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Hide the admin per Default

Post by KevC » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 am

If you have a good password it's not a problem.

It's also an important contact point for users who have a problem. If they don't know who is in charge they don't know who to ask for help.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

ZNC

Post by ZNC » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:22 am

... but it can also be a good point of contact for malicious attempts. If you have the admin, then you can try to get the password out, especially in the first few weeks, where a forum is set up and maybe not as secure as it should be.

I was not well versed at this time and I believe that some phpBB users also are non-IT savvy people. But nothing speaks against switching an administrator "free", but not the founding administrator or?

Geekess

Post by Geekess » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 pm

I think it would be good practice to not use the administrator as a common board user, but only for board configuration. That means that I wouldn't regularly log in with the administrator account, and therefore wouldn't notice PM-s.
On my boards, the administrator is like root: necessary for administration, but not on the board as a user. Instead, there's a user account with moderator permissions for the "administrator" of the board. I want my people to contact that user, instead of the big administrator account. Therefore, I wouldn't want to list the administrator, ever.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Unless you call the Admin user "Admin" or something else obvious how would anyone know who had admin permissions? It is easy enough to make an Admin, or Moderator, appear as a "normal" user.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

ZNC

Post by ZNC » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 am

If pbpBB is installed for the very first time automatically all the admins (especially the founder) are shown in the legend and in the members list, marked in red, as well, until you have done some of the following steps:
a) Change the rank of the administrator from "admin" to anything else.
b) Disable "Show group in the legend of the online list"
c) Disable "Show Group on Team Page"
d) or Remove the Group Color
e) Change the Group Rank from "admin" to the rank entered under point b

Why not hide on installation and after the administrator is a little bit more safer in phpBB he can decide for himself how he wants to handle it?

Return to “phpBB Ideas”