TJK
Posted:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:59 am
Rating:
New
Ideas Bot

Last edited

Post by Ideas Bot » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:59 am

We are all aware of the "Last edited" feature of phpbb only being available to Moderators and / or Administrators with Moderator privileges. I think it would be nice if this feature was expanded so that normal users can actually fill in a reason when editing their post. Sure, this feature may be abused by some users but certainly can be handy for the whole community.

The feature can be implemented as a Switch on / off option in ACP so that the administrator can choose if he /she wants it on or off.

AmigoJack

Re: Last edited

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am

Oh no, not another "switch". Make it a user permission à la "Can use/change edit reason".
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am
Oh no, not another "switch". Make it a user permission à la "Can use/change edit reason".
Isn't this superfluous?
Either a user has editing permissions (in certain forums) or he doesn't. And if the editing permissions are present, I see no reason to disallow editing of the "edit reason".
In other words: if a user can edit their own post: what would be the point to allow them to enter an edit reason the first time, but prevent it the second time.

So, in my opinion the permission: "can edit own post" should inherently include "can edit edit reason".
A bug is a feature that didn't make it to the manual (yet)

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am
Arguably isn't a permission a "switch"?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am

warmweer wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 am
Isn't this superfluous?
No. Edit reasons are in the scope of moderating a post - if a post has been moderated and the edit reason is used then in most cases the post owner should not be able to erase or modify the words of the moderators. Of course, this only makes sense when actually managing a board consistently - if you can fully trust your users and rarily to never need moderation then leave them full control over the edit reason as well.

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 am
Arguably isn't a permission a "switch"?
I understand a "switch" as a board-wide setting (such as "registrations allowed"), whereas a user permission can be bound to users, groups and roles (and as such be used individually).

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am
warmweer wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 am
Isn't this superfluous?
No. Edit reasons are in the scope of moderating a post - if a post has been moderated and the edit reason is used then in most cases the post owner should not be able to erase or modify the words of the moderators. Of course, this only makes sense when actually managing a board consistently - if you can fully trust your users and rarily to never need moderation then leave them full control over the edit reason as well.
When a moderator edits a post and gives an edit reason: the post could also be locked and thus prevent further editing.

Alternatively (but this would require some extra coding), each edit session could add a new edit reason (preventing edits to previous edit reasons). To me this would be more bloat than useful.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:25 am

warmweer wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am
the post could also be locked and thus prevent further editing
Preventing the author from changing the reason does not imply wanting to prevent the author from changing other parts of the post - your suggestion is a "all or nothing" approach - two separate user permissions are more versatile.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:17 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:25 am
Preventing the author from changing the reason does not imply wanting to prevent the author from changing other parts of the post - your suggestion is a "all or nothing" approach - two separate user permissions are more versatile.
True, no argument about that but it immediately makes a strong case for "soft"-edits so that the admin (or mods) can monitor (and if necessary correct ) all edits. My stance here is, either keep it as it is, or, implement the full feature scope (soft edit + multiple edit reasons + other stuff).

There are situations that users have edited their posts and I would like to remove the "last edited on" part (e.g. editing for spelling mistakes). Currently this implies editing in the database directly, but a permission set which controls editing of edit reason might as well be expanded with another new permisson: "can delete edit mentions".

Return to “phpBB Ideas”