Allow Site logo ( forum logo ) to be changed from ACP

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Re: Allow Site logo ( forum logo ) to be changed from ACP

Post by Tastenplayer »

</Solidjeuh> wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:21 pm
This had to be implemented years ago. I don't know why this is still not available :D Logo, background, forabg, colors etc... should all be manageable via ACP
The style could be adapted earlier in acp (colors, iconset etc.). But that could also give bad surprises. Just like with me e.g. with my first forum. Several hours of work until late into the night. I was very satisfied with the result. On the other day the forum started - normal Prosilver colors. Yes, if nobody tells you that you have to empty the cache after every change. :lol: :oops: (You thought saving was enough)
But even despite cache emptying, there were sometimes problems.

Concerning the actual topic, changing the logo in the acp: There could be problems, especially with the responsiveness. As well as with some styles that have a header banner instead of a logo.
If you can "only" exchange the standard logo with another logo in the acp (also a little bigger) but not the banners, it really does bring something?
But perhaps it would be feasible that all images can be changed in the ACP!?
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
✨ Advent Calendar ✨(For display in another language, click on your flag under the navi)
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Well, personally I see no problem with editing files or using extensions to add/changes files/codes. That's the only way to learn. Been using phpBB since 3.0.7, and learned a lot in all those years ( css, html, little PHP ... ). But yes, changing things via ACP is good for "newbies"...
EA117

Post by EA117 »

</Solidjeuh> wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 pm
Well, personally I see no problem with editing files or using extensions to add/changes files/codes. That's the only way to learn. Been using phpBB since 3.0.7, and learned a lot in all those years ( css, html, little PHP ... ). But yes, changing things via ACP is good for "newbies"...
Well of course, and I'll never use the feature we're talking about, either. Yet still feel that it's a missing useful "core" functionality.

Any site operator who is already customizing the site's style for numerous other reasons besides "logo" won't ever need this feature. But people don't select and use phpBB because "I want to learn more about CSS, HTML, PHP, and templating frameworks." If they do want to do those things, that's great, but it's in addition to the original reason they're setting up the site.

What we can "assume" about someone installing phpBB is they want to host discussions.

Similar to how they didn't install Windows or Linux because they wanted to learn more about how to recover from file system failures, or how to deal with device drivers. They wanted to create documents and play games. They might get forced into the technical aspects one day, and its interesting information to learn. But it's not the point, nor necessarily what they wanted to choose to spend their time doing.

Well, I take that back on "I'll never use it." When helping someone else put a logo on their site, instead of manually creating a "stub style" with just the logo replacement so that future proSilver updates don't overwrite the changes, I would use (or just tell them to use) this new feature to specify their image instead. So I must be a "newbie". 😜

Tastenplayer wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:15 pm
...it really does bring something?
Yes, because of all the styles that aren't that way.

No one is saying that any particular third-party style "must" use the specified logo image. Nor are we saying "stop creating styles which use background image banners which cannot be easily substituted", since that's one of many directions in which creativity runs.

But the reality could become that whether a particular third-party style will use the ACP-configured logo image -- to at least incorporate it somehow, perhaps "in addition to" as opposed to "instead of" other images -- may become a feature users look for when choosing a style, based on how much effort the user wants to go through in customizing the style they choose. And yes, how well or how poorly the style deals with the image in cases of responsiveness is up to the style.

It's not "different" than what's already happening right now, today, when in absence of other built-in functionality, people start with "go out and replace site_logo.png in proSilver with something else." The results vary. They may or may not be happy. But many of them will be. But then next phpBB update, their image is gone again.

The idea is really just saying that an ACP option for "an image which represents my site" would make specifying this "one additional element of identity" easy, just like the site name and site description that ACP already lets them configure.

Having this option at least creates the potential for "yeah, it really was just that easy", even if we stipulate it won't end up being applicable to 100% of use cases. We have all sorts of options that won't work for or aren't appropriate for all cases. But they exist for the cases where they do work, and will provide useful behavior.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

That's it. The mistake already starts with the name site_logo. It is not, because it is a text_logo.
We don't find this in a true header. There is no such header. But within headerbar in the container sitedescription, which is logical if we use a text_logo. If you understand how to proceed, it doesn't take much effort to change this (you move the search function, the page description and the page name). Right, it is desirable to design a true header that is / would be populated by ACP. Advantages are better than disadvantages. Correct: And who uses what when ==> is relative. ;)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:01 pm
The mistake already starts with the name site_logo. It is not, because it is a text_logo.
no, it is not text. it is an image and that image is phpbb.com's logo so site_logo is correct term.
Talk19Zehn wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:01 pm
We don't find this in a true header. There is no such header.
what is "true header"? the header or in the case of phpbb headerbar, includes the banner, the logo, the site description and the site name and the searchbox.
all , of course, depends on the given style design.

not really sure what any of your post means other than the part where you say it could all be renamed and should be an option in the acp to change the logo and/or banner. I agree with that.

rob ert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hi, Robert
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:04 am
no, it is not text. it is an image and that image is phpbb.com's logo so site_logo is correct term.

For me, the site_logo.gif (phpBB-standard) is pure text and it also expresses the brand symbol (see the symbol ®).
So a text emblem and in the broadest sense a text logo. A logo (here logotext) is an option for easy identification. For example:
Letters that are written in a custom-defined or default-defined font and so on ...

A "real header" in the page header does not exist, is not defined. It follows the desire to design this and to equip it with ACP. I approve of this idea.

Regards
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It’s an image and the text in the image uses a commercial font called cocon. It may look like simple text but it’s a gif.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©

Return to “phpBB Ideas”