tojag
Posted:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 am
Rating:
New
Ideas Bot

Notification when moderator delete/edit/move post

Post by Ideas Bot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 am

It would be good if users had information about the moderation of their post. The notification should include a link to the post or its citation if the post has been deleted and a list of moderator activities with comments.
In many countries there is an obligation to inform users about interference in their content. Such automated notification would be a good solution.

AmigoJack

Re: Notification when moderator delete/edit/move post

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:28 am

First of all: that's what the edit reason is there for. Additionally I also implemented UCP modules so each user can see
  1. a list of all post edit reasons, and
  2. a list of all topic actions (moved, deleted)
  3. (as well as a list of all reports and their status, but that doesn't quite fit here)
for all the posts/topics(/reports) he's affected to. Including the ability to define notifications for that. But I also found out nobody cares.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

tojag

Post by tojag » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:00 pm

The edit reason is not enought. User should get notification. It is very necessary. Most of my questions in this forum concern the issue of phpbb compliance with the law in particular security issues. Hence, I asked about forcing password changes for admins, 2FAs, etc. as well as for the protection of personal data. People should have an overview of all moderation activities on their posts and accounts. Same warnings or banning info is not enough.
AmigoJack you are right, too few people are interested or do not understand these problems.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:46 am

tojag wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:00 pm
The edit reason is not enought. User should get notification. It is very necessary. Most of my questions in this forum concern the issue of phpbb compliance with the law in particular security issues. Hence, I asked about forcing password changes for admins, 2FAs, etc. as well as for the protection of personal data. People should have an overview of all moderation activities on their posts and accounts. Same warnings or banning info is not enough.
AmigoJack you are right, too few people are interested or do not understand these problems.
This is overkill. Some moderator edits are are simply correction of spelling errors, and giving a notification for something like that which should pass unseen is a waste of resources, possibly leading to further reactions and more wasting of resources.
Also, which law is applicable? (bearing in mind that there is no internationally accepted, nor enforceable legislation).

This is actually opening a can of worms since being quoted should(I'm using your terminology here) then also result in a forced notification so that the first poster can verify that he has been quoted correctly (and even completely).

The options AmigoJack gives include the possibility for the user to request receiving notifications, not the board enforcing notifications upon the users. That to me is the user friendly way to go.

If this is were a request for an extension I wouldn't be replying in this topic, but I'm against including this as a standard feature in phpBB, hence my NO.
A bug is a feature that didn't make it to the manual (yet)

tojag

Post by tojag » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 am

I always give the reason for editing, even if it's just a fix of letters. In my opinion, a clear description of the moderator's actions is always needed.
Of course it can be a notification included in the UCP, but it must be included in phpbb.
A good idea will be a special post displayed for everyone when the original post has been removed by the moderator. This post may contain the reason for deletion and may only be displayed if the original post has not been removed permanently.

ps
I am sorry, my English, this may be the reason for misunderstanding my statements :(

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 am

tojag wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 am
I always give the reason for editing, even if it's just a fix of letters. In my opinion, a clear description of the moderator's actions is always needed.
Of course it can be a notification included in the UCP, but it must be included in phpbb.
A good idea will be a special post displayed for everyone when the original post has been removed by the moderator. This post may contain the reason for deletion and may only be displayed if the original post has not been removed permanently.

ps
I am sorry, my English, this may be the reason for misunderstanding my statements :(
Again, if the admin (or moderator) wants to do this, fine by me but if a reason and/or a notification is a requirement and notifications are forced, then I will be the first the edit the core files (or attempt to make an extension) to block this.
You do realise that every single change (removing a superfluous space, changing a lower case letter to an uppercase, etc...) then forces an extra post and notifications.
The way phpBB is now the admin or mod can make a post and/or send a PM if deemed necessary.
Request this as an extension, and I have no objection whatsoever but leave the choice up to the admin (and users).
A bug is a feature that didn't make it to the manual (yet)

Return to “phpBB Ideas”