SEO URLs

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 16563
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Fishkill, NY
Name: David Colón
Contact:

Re: SEO URLs

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:30 pm

juliokr wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:59 pm
Do you mean this one ?
viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2189683
If it is this feature, it was proposed on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:47 am that means 4 years ago !
That is even more bad news for you then. This idea was posted mere days ago and is already outpacing that one in thumbs down votes.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

juliokr
Registered User
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:21 am

Re: SEO URLs

Post by juliokr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:09 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:30 pm
That is even more bad news for you then. This idea was posted mere days ago and is already outpacing that one in thumbs down votes.
Sorry I can not understand what you are talking about, but in anyway I don't care at all ! And remember that many members (maybe even yourself) says that cosmetic features should be provided by extensions and not as core features ! Which is not wrong !

User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 2370
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: SEO URLs

Post by thecoalman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 am

DavidIQ wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:12 pm
(Had read your message before you deleted it so...)
You do realize that if this is added to the core that any bugs and issues will be at the mercy of product releases right, which at the moment average once every 3-6 months? Extensions on the other hand wouldn't be under this restriction at all. That really should be a deterrent for those of you who keep on clamoring to add things like this to the core...
David I understand your point but this is not something anyone should be relying on extension for because of a variety of reasons. Especially if the extent of their knowledge is to click the install button. Once you implement something like this it has long term ramifications. It's not a frivolous feature you can simply remove. Once implemented you need to maintain it and if the developer stops developing it or there is major new release of phpBB....

the phpBB Developers aren't against this idea at all, but I'm sure you realized that once you read our other responses.


And if they do not use the same URL structure as the extension developer? See what I'm saying?

I would suggest if phpBB does implement this you allow for customization of the URL structure.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 16563
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Fishkill, NY
Name: David Colón
Contact:

Re: SEO URLs

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 am
David I understand your point but this is not something anyone should be relying on extension for because of a variety of reasons. Especially if the extent of their knowledge is to click the install button. Once you implement something like this it has long term ramifications. It's not a frivolous feature you can simply remove. Once implemented you need to maintain it and if the developer stops developing it or there is major new release of phpBB....
Doesn’t really change anything. What if it were an official extension? What then? No way José right because it HAS to be in the core? ;)
thecoalman wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 am
And if they do not use the same URL structure as the extension developer? See what I'm saying?

I would suggest if phpBB does implement this you allow for customization of the URL structure.
Well that depends. Nobody really seems to agree on anything here so there is not much to go by and implement. Most comments more about how terrible we are because there are no human-readable urls and how ugly everything is and how horrible it looks, but very little about how to actually put this into the core and what the best approach would be.

If there was something more structured on how this should work then PERHAPS some work might get done on this in the future be it an official extension or a core addition. Because even if here was some way to configure it the issue of what those configurations would be is very open to interpretation without any semblance of expectations.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

juliokr
Registered User
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:21 am

Re: SEO URLs

Post by juliokr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm
Well that depends. Nobody really seems to agree on anything here so there is not much to go by and implement. Most comments more about how terrible we are because there are no human-readable urls and how ugly everything is and how horrible it looks, but very little about how to actually put this into the core and what the best approach would be.

If there was something more structured on how this should work then PERHAPS some work might get done on this in the future be it an official extension or a core addition. Because even if here was some way to configure it the issue of what those configurations would be is very open to interpretation without any semblance of expectations.
How would you start a discussion about details until to insert this feature is principle rejected ?
The answer on phpBB is since years "we could ... if maybe... but ..." This is not very motivating for people who have ideas an know how about this question!
Once the feature would be accepted it would make sense to start discussion about how to do.

By the way one more article about benefits of seo (human readable) urls if you are interested in
http://www.velsof.com/blog/search-engin ... ur-website

User avatar
AmigoJack
Registered User
Posts: 5051
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am
Location: グリーン ヒル ゾーン
Contact:

Re: SEO URLs

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:11 pm

What's the difference between these two?
2. It improves the search ranking
URLs hardly have an effect on your site ranking
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

juliokr
Registered User
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:21 am

Re: SEO URLs

Post by juliokr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:11 pm
What's the difference between these two?
2. It improves the search ranking
URLs hardly have an effect on your site ranking
You might want to ask the author (there is a reply form on the bottom of the page)

User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 2370
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: SEO URLs

Post by thecoalman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:33 am

DavidIQ wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm
What if it were an official extension? What then? No way José right because it HAS to be in the core? ;)
David if it were official extension where continued support for it is guaranteed I think that would suffice.

If there was something more structured on how this should work then PERHAPS some work might get done on this in the future be it an official extension or a core addition. Because even if here was some way to configure it the issue of what those configurations would be is very open to interpretation without any semblance of expectations.
You provide tokens, token for the forum title, token for the topic title, token for the topic ID, token for start parameter and a token for rest of the parameters.

Code: Select all

https://www.phpbb.com/community/{forum_title)/{topic_title}-{topic_id}-{start}?{parameters}
Now if someone is using existing rewrite without the forum title they just exclude the token.

Code: Select all

https://www.phpbb.com/community/{topic_title}-{topic_id}-{start}?{parameters}
I realize it's a little more complex that "just do this" but such an option should be available.

Toxyy
Registered User
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: SEO URLs

Post by Toxyy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Not sure if this has been covered but what about extremely long topic or forum titles? Would there have to be a separate database column for an SEO version of the forum or topic title?
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

User avatar
couchpilot
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Germany
Name: Andi
Contact:

Re: SEO URLs

Post by couchpilot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:13 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm
What if it were an official extension?
That would be totally optimal because we could be sure that the extension would always be developed and adapted.

It does not have to be in the core if it has an official phpBB extension.

I personally hope that this will be implemented in one of the next versions.

User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 2370
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: SEO URLs

Post by thecoalman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Toxyy wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:28 pm
Not sure if this has been covered but what about extremely long topic or forum titles? Would there have to be a separate database column for an SEO version of the forum or topic title?
Personally I wish there was "short forum title" in the ACP for things like this. It could also be used for things like the title in the head.

As far as the title tag goes that really shouldnl't be much of an issue especially if you had "short forum titles" You could have option for truncating them at X characters.

Toxyy
Registered User
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: SEO URLs

Post by Toxyy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:05 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:58 pm
Toxyy wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:28 pm
Not sure if this has been covered but what about extremely long topic or forum titles? Would there have to be a separate database column for an SEO version of the forum or topic title?
Personally I wish there was "short forum title" in the ACP for things like this. It could also be used for things like the title in the head.

As far as the title tag goes that really shouldnl't be much of an issue especially if you had "short forum titles" You could have option for truncating them at X characters.
It might work better for cutting at the word or space or symbol for topic titles.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Ideas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: steve1200 and 1 guest