https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: SEO URLs

Post by thecoalman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:38 pm

david63 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:12 pm
The problem with SEOURLs is that some people believe them to be an instant panacea to getting high rankings in the search engines, which is not true - that come with one thing, and on thing only - content.
Content is king but google will rank your site a on a variety of things. Age of the site, server speed, proper html markup, is it responsive, is it optimized(images, minified code), title tags, H1, H2, text links(and this applies to auto generated friendly URL's), is the content above the fold without a lot of ads, what you are linking to, what is linking to you etc. etc.

There may be hundreds of things Google considers and each of them are weighted. If you have two sites that have equally good content and one of them has taken the time to optimize they are going to rise above you.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 pm

dansk wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:32 pm
I do not understand how many people all the time accept their answers as content content content. Some pages appear on google just in a few sentences.
Yes, but those sites will have a lot of content - just because one page only has a few sentences does not mean that overall the site has a lot of new content.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Talk19Zehn

Re: SEO URLs or human readable URLs

Post by Talk19Zehn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 pm

SEO URLs or human readable URLs
Hello,
It would be perfect if phpBB would give the possibility to choose between "standard URLs" and "SEO URLs" (or human readable URLs). Ideally the board admin can choose between both in the ACP so everybody would be satisfied. There is already one extension for this, but still in beta and probably not continued. In anyway URLs should never change so this feature might be a core feature and not a extension.
+1

This convinced, chances should not be overlooked.

Kind regards
Currently occasionally online .. ♪ ♫ Best regards

PhilDiscuss

Post by PhilDiscuss » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:54 pm

URL like this? If I may.

https://leinad4mind.top/forum/your-first-forum.html
Website of good coder(if drunk). :roll:
Professionally develop phpBB Premium Style and Extension.

The Philippines Discussions Website

PhilDiscuss

Post by PhilDiscuss » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 pm
PhilDiscuss wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm
This is on active extension development. Now on testing paste.
I would caution anyone about using such an extension. It's not whether it's good, bad or otherwise... It's the maintenance of it. This is something to very carefully consider before you implement it because it has long term ramifications. When the extension breaks and something like this inevitably will you are left waiting for an update and if the author is no longer developing it that can be a major issue.
Yes, of course. More than 2K premium members trusted the man.

couchpilot
Name: Andi

Post by couchpilot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:54 pm

I missed this Feature too. +1

A way to choose between "standard URLs" and human readable URLs is more Freedom and much Possibility for us to bring Content better to the People.

And by the Way too: Why have the phpBB pages Extension human readable URLs ?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 am

couchpilot wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:54 pm
Why have the phpBB pages Extension human readable URLs ?
Ask the author(s) in the dedicated discussion/support forum for the extension.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Ger

Post by Ger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 am

I'll leave the SEO discussion for what it is. IMO, SEO for phpBB is perfectly fine and doesn't need improvement.

However: I like to have human readable URLS. Just to give the reader some idea what an URL is about. Let's say I link to viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2449736
Yeah, it's something in the phpBB forums but that's about all I know. But when the URL would be https://www.phpbb.com/community/forum-64/topic-2449736-clever-quote-testing it would tell the reader a lot more about what the topic is about.
And of course, it could have many somewhat duplicate titles like "help-updating" but what wouldn't hurt if you also add a topic id to the mix.
Checkout my extensions: Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Modbreak, Magic OGP links and Live topic update

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 am

juliokr wrote: In anyway URLs should never change
board.com/forum-title/post-title
Because it is possible that are more than 1 post with the same title SEO URLs could also look like in the mentioned extension example
board.com/forum-title-f22/post-title-t344.html
Those are no URLs - they miss any protocol. And this is contradicting: once posts are edited they don't reflect the new titles in the URIs anymore. Also: why forcing a .html extension?

couchpilot wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:54 pm
human readable URLs is more Freedom and much Possibility for us to bring Content better to the People
Yes, but only if they're accessible forever and don't change once you edit the page content.

PhilDiscuss wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm
More than 2K premium members trusted the man.
The best thing about dog piles are the 2K of flies enjoying it.

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 pm
This convinced, chances should not be overlooked
Pitfalls as well, but suprisingly nobody mentions them.

ZNC wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 am
Recently, I have completly reinstalled our forum and copied some old content into the fresh new tables. The IDs now have changed. All links to the former contents are now for the garbage.
Has anyone even read this? That's a major problem with the "human readible URL" hype: nobody maintains the URIs. When you suddenly decide to have different URIs without caring for the old ones you will loose everything that ever connected to you. So many big organizations did this mistake and nobody thinks about bookmarks leading to nowhere just because they misunderstood the function of an address as a title.

juliokr wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:05 pm
So what's your problem with this feature ?
  1. Most people don't care about broken URIs (new naming scheme or editing topic/forum titles).
  2. Most people aren't aware of leaking data (a forum not accessible to anyone, but its name and maybe even the titles of topics are in the URIs so I can partly read it).
  3. Most people only know latin letters (how does the URI of a topic titled グリーン ヒル ゾーン look like? Hint: that would be an IRI such as Wikipedia already supports. But nowadays most URIs look horrible when being generated automatically).
juliokr wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:42 pm
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/76329?hl=en wrote:a URL like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation will help you decide whether to click that link. A URL like http://www.example.com/index.php?id_sez ... f849f730f1, is much less appealing to users.
Guys, why do you mix up "appealing to users" with "appealing to search spiders"? The majority of you wants SEO, the minority wants website addresses that can be read like a heading. Wikipedia comes up with an organized concept, but I fail to see even one of you guys doing that for his board. You all want them generated from topic titles - hence, this example is a bad one.

And now I'm addressing all of you: the following quoted text was written in 1998 and it still applies to today:
https://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI wrote:Cool URIs don't change
What to leave out
Topics and Classification by subject
Please read it yourself. If you aren't prepared to care for URIs you once hand out then don't do it at all. The text is almost two decades old, yet the vast majority of people are actively destroying the internet by invalidating URIs again and again. phpBB's current URIs may not look "nice", but they will never change just because the resources they point to change. If you can ensure this then you're okay to provide additional "nice" URIs.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 am
Also: why forcing a .html extension?
Personally I would prefer without .html ! It was just an exemple of url rewriting of the only working SEOul extension for phpBB which works today
AmigoJack wrote:
Yes, but only if they're accessible forever and don't change once you edit the page content.
Seriously how often users change there post title ? On my board it happened maybe once or twice over 10 years and just after recognizing that they made a mistake and in between 1 or two hours after posting and not after 2 days. And as a board admin I never change post titles I respect my users !

In anyway even with the standard ID urls of phpBB if the admin moves a post from one forum to another it's the same problem f. ex
http://board.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=185
becomes
http://board.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=185
AmigoJack wrote:
Most people only know latin letters (how does the URI of a topic titled グリーン ヒル ゾーン look like?
I don't know how japanese urls are looking normally !
AmigoJack wrote:

juliokr wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:42 pm
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/76329?hl=en wrote:a URL like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation will help you decide whether to click that link. A URL like http://www.example.com/index.php?id_sez ... f849f730f1, is much less appealing to users.
Guys, why do you mix up "appealing to users" with "appealing to search spiders"?
Search engines like Google claim often that there spider understands web pages nearly like humains (even if it is not always true)

And lot of links are often posted "naked" today like f.ex on social medias like Facebook where you don't even have the possibility to "hide" the urls behind a title.
Personally I would trust more a link who looks like page.tld/something-about-seo than a link like page.tld/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=185

PhilDiscuss

Post by PhilDiscuss » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am

We have our own opinions and we know what's good for our board.

I'll just wait few more weeks to release premium extension, seems like nobody here want to develop such extension.

8-)

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 am

juliokr wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 am
Seriously how often users change there post title ?
Almost never. But on board where content is moderated non-post-authors (as moderators are) may edit anything. A couple of boards I visit plus the one I'm maintaining do have moderators and they do edit titles if they're wrong. More than twice a day.

juliokr wrote:
as a board admin I never change post titles I respect my users !
That's a lie - let me choose my titles and you surely want to edit them!

juliokr wrote:
In anyway even with the standard ID urls of phpBB if the admin moves a post from one forum to another it's the same problem f. ex
http://board.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=185
becomes
http://board.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=185
Those are topics, not posts. But in both cases the URIs still lead to the correct content instead of coming up as "nothing here", which seems to be news to you.

juliokr wrote:
AmigoJack wrote:
Most people only know latin letters (how does the URI of a topic titled グリーン ヒル ゾーン look like?
There's my proof: SEO or human readible advocats haven't even analyzed how non-latin languages approach that.

juliokr wrote:
Personally I would trust more a link who looks like page.tld/something-about-seo than a link like page.tld/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=185
I'll quote that when encountering one of the countless address shorteners. Also: those aren't URIs. Again.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:53 am

juliokr wrote:
On this board (phpbb.com) in some of the fora the topic titles can, and do, change frequently.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 am
juliokr wrote: ↑11 Dec 2017, 11:54
AmigoJack wrote: ↑11 Dec 2017, 10:49
There's my proof: SEO or human readible advocats haven't even analyzed how non-latin languages approach that.
If you are interested in the question have a look on non-latin languages boards made with vBulletin, Discourse or bbPress for exemple.
david63 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:53 am
juliokr wrote: ↑11 Dec 2017, 11:54
On this board (phpbb.com) in some of the fora the topic titles can, and do, change frequently.
Once again I didn't ask for that board admins should be forced to use this feature but to be free to use it or not like most of other core features Is so difficult to understand ?
Last edited by bonelifer on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't shout in messages. Extraneous formating removed.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
When you suddenly decide to have different URIs without caring for the old ones you will loose everything that ever connected to you. So many big organizations did this mistake and nobody thinks about bookmarks leading to nowhere just because they misunderstood the function of an address as a title.
I completely understand your point as this one of my pet peeves but with a forum where duplicate topic titles are a given you have to include the topic ID and other relevant parameters like the start parameter. The title text is irrelevant to obtain the correct topic data.

Code: Select all

https://www.phpbb.com/community/seo-urls-2449636-30
For those rare occurrences where the topic title changes you have two choices. Simply don't do anything and spit out the topic or you can check the title topic is correct and do a 301 redirect.
The text is almost two decades old, yet the vast majority of people are actively destroying the internet by invalidating URIs again and again. phpBB's current URIs may not look "nice", but they will never change just because the resources they point to change. If you can ensure this then you're okay to provide additional "nice" URIs.
I concur but there is nothing preventing you from maintaining them.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”