SEO URLs

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
juliokr

Re: SEO URLs

Post by juliokr »

AmigoJack wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 am
juliokr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 am
AmigoJack wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 am Most people only know latin letters (how does the URI of a topic titled グリーン ヒル ゾーン look like?
I don't know how japanese urls are looking normally !
There's my proof: SEO or human readible advocats haven't even analyzed how non-latin languages approach that.
Because you seem to be seriously interested in the question I made some investigations for you:

Discourse who have normal seo-urls like this in (latin languages)
https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-can-i- ... atch/75821

is simply not using readable urls in Chinese (for the moment ?)
https://meta.discoursecn.org/t/topic/2309/4

Stack exchange (might know very well this forum)
is building seo-urls in Japanese like this (it even seems to work

https://japanese.stackexchange.com/ques ... -vs-xばxほどy

enjoy
Ger

Post by Ger »

juliokr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:55 pm Stack exchange (might know very well this forum)
is building seo-urls in Japanese like this (it even seems to work

https://japanese.stackexchange.com/ques ... -vs-xばxほどy
That's because they also put the id in it. This URL does the same:
https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/55065/this-is-some-made-up-string-by-ger-as-proof-of-concept
https://japanese.stackexchange.com/ques ... of-concept
So in that case any UTF-8 character will probably be sufficient.

However: phpBB uses more parameters in it's urls such as page (or starting point), post id, etc. So in the end you'd still get something like this:

Code: Select all

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic/f-436/t-2449636/start-15/seo-urls
And then many people complain that this is still "ugly" and "not SEO".
Now I don't care about how pretty it is or how SEO this should be (I think Google etc. are smarter than myself) but it still tells me what the topic title is.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Ger wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:36 pm However: phpBB uses more parameters in it's urls such as page (or starting point), post id, etc. So in the end you'd still get something like this:
CODE: SELECT ALL
viewtopic/f-436/t-2449636/start-15/seo-urls
O.k. I recognize that phpBB forum urls can not work without IDs but in anyway the words "viewtopic" and "viewforum" are completely useless and can be replaced with the title of the topics which makes much more sense and that's SEO
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Ger wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:36 pm

However: phpBB uses more parameters in it's urls such as page (or starting point), post id, etc. So in the end you'd still get something like this:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic/f-436/t-2449636/start-15/seo-urls

Um, no.....You do something like this

https://www.phpbb.com/community/ideas/seo-urls-2449636_15

For the rest of the parameters you just append them.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/ideas/seo-urls-2449636_15?hilit=blah blah blah
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

couchpilot wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:54 pm Why have the phpBB pages Extension human readable URLs ?
juliokr wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:10 pm By the way : Why does phpbb.com use url_rewriting (seoURL, or humain readable url) for the page ideas ideas if it is worth for nothing ????
Because it is an extension and it uses the routing system of phpBB that's been available since 3.1? There was no SEO or human readable URLs discussion behind the decision. It is just a feature available to extensions in the core of phpBB because their routes are all processed through app.php.
ZNC wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 am Recently, I have completly reinstalled our forum and copied some old content into the fresh new tables. The IDs now have changed. All links to the former contents are now for the garbage. That may happen rarely, but also an aspect for "semantic urls" or "talking urls" or "HRU (human readable URL)", whatever it is called.
"Human readable URLs" would absolutely NOT have fixed this. If you take a look at phpBBSEO you'll note that the topic ID is still part of the URL. There is no easy way around this since it is how URLs are matched with the topic and differentiated from different topics with the same title. One possible way would be to add a route name column in the topic table to store this information, but this has not really been the approach taken by those developing SEO extensions not to mention that you then have to deal with what someone else mentioned regarding changing the topic title.
Peter77sx wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:02 pm I'd rather see this as an extension by someone is who passionate/enjoys what heshe is coding and not having to bother,poke or rush dev team with something like this.
why because it may come out looking like the /app/ deal seen in the current software-- ugly af.
What /app/ deal? You mean things like app.php/extensionroute? If you don't like/want that then it's as simple as just turning on the URL rewriting feature in the ACP. If an extension has routes then that's going to be up to you to enable the rewriting feature and not the extension author's.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
couchpilot
Name: Andi

Post by couchpilot »

Thanks for the explanation DavidIQ. :idea:

I do not care how the URLs are called (SEO, human readable, etc.), and I understand why the phpBB URLs need more parameters. In my opinion, it would be enough if the name of the topic appeared in front of the parameters or the words "viewtopic" and "viewforum" would be replaced by the topic title. I think that would be better than it is now.
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

I would prefer URLs, which contain at least minimum of information, what is behind the URL.

At the moment we have links like "/viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2449636", which gives me basically no idea, what is behind that URL if you don't use the URL-tag correctly.

So I would prefer a link, which has the topic-/post-title included to give the user more of an idea, what he can expect.

When you take a look at other softwares or our URLs, then you get basic idea, that we need to have at least one ID included as well, which will make it even with "SEO URL/human readable url" nearly impossible to guess the correct url or remember it by heart after a few days.

Which will lead in most other softwares to the fact, that his will lead to the same topic:

/topic/seo-urls-2449636/ and /topic/2449636/

Regards
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
Joyce&Luna
Name: Anke

Post by Joyce&Luna »

unimportant and removed
Regards
Last edited by Joyce&Luna on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions are translated from German to English by google. This can lead to misunderstanding.

phpBB Style Design
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

i started develop that extension last week now the beta is working on 3.2 but still have bugs , i need more developer to help me.
it is here:
www.phpbb-seo.org
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Joyce&Luna wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:31 pm unimportant and removed
Regards
(Had read your message before you deleted it so...)
You do realize that if this is added to the core that any bugs and issues will be at the mercy of product releases right, which at the moment average once every 3-6 months? Extensions on the other hand wouldn't be under this restriction at all. That really should be a deterrent for those of you who keep on clamoring to add things like this to the core...

The rest of your original comment isn't really worth addressing as it has been repeated over and over that the phpBB Developers aren't against this idea at all, but I'm sure you realized that once you read our other responses. Coming to conclusions about what we will be implementing is also premature right now as we haven't even announced what will be in the next version.
Joyce&Luna
Name: Anke

Post by Joyce&Luna »

Not because of the other answers, I pulled back, but because this is not really the topic here.
I was pointed out and the person was right.
My contributions are translated from German to English by google. This can lead to misunderstanding.

phpBB Style Design
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Ok then getting back on topic: based on votes so far this idea isn't receiving as much support as some of the other ideas such as post likes. Not passing judgement and saying this is something to ignore, but seems like so far the community is more interested in other more tangible/useful features.
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:40 pm Ok then getting back on topic: based on votes so far this idea isn't receiving as much support as some of the other ideas such as post likes. Not passing judgement and saying this is something to ignore, but seems like so far the community is more interested in other more tangible/useful features.
Do you mean this one ?
viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2189683
If it is this feature, it was proposed on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:47 am that means 4 years ago !

I don't know how many members visited that page in between 1 week and how many members of the community who wanted a seo url feature gave up frustrated after maybe 10 years of discussions without any result.
DavidIQ wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:12 pm You do realize that if this is added to the core that any bugs and issues will be at the mercy of product releases right, which at the moment average once every 3-6 months? Extensions on the other hand wouldn't be under this restriction at all. That really should be a deterrent for those of you who keep on clamoring to add things like this to the core...
I don't really understand your comment ! If this feature is added to the core any bugs and issues will be at the mercy of product releases, like any other feature added to the core !
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

juliokr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:59 pm I don't really understand your comment !
You would have to wait for the next phpBB release for bugs to be fixed, even if it took months, whereas with an extension bugs may get fixed more or less "on time".
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Ibedejo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:08 pm juliokr wrote: ↑17 Dec 2017, 17:59
I don't really understand your comment !
You would have to wait for the next phpBB release for bugs to be fixed, even if it took months, whereas with an extension bugs may get fixed more or less "on time".
o.k. I better understand the meaning. The problem is that a extension developper is completely free to give up, has other/better things to do on day or another so it could be that a bug would be fixed "on time" or never !
That's why a feature like this, which you can not change simply against another, is normally included in most CMS and bb softwares !

Return to “phpBB Ideas”