Content colors controlerd by the style

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
hubaishan
Translator
Name: Saeed Hubaishan

Content colors controlerd by the style

Post by hubaishan »

phpBB has many colors in editor's color palette. Most of these colors distort the beauty of the board.

It is best to define the content colors (provided by the editor) by the style with CSS classes. So the user will be restricted by these provided colors. And will not distort the beauty of the board with strange colors. This will also making it easy to control the content colors by changing the style, like changing the theme in MS Word 2007 and above. The users (if they have a choice to change the style) would be more cheerful to see colors consistent with their chosen style.

To do this style writers must define content colors in colors.css for example:

Code: Select all

.cc-dark {
	color:black;
	}
A new file with these colors will be written be style writer editor_color_palette.html. the [color=] bbcode will change to:

<span class="cc-{SIMPLETEXT}">{TEXT}</span>
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Content colors controlerd by the style

Post by warmweer »

"beauty of the board"?
That (in my very humble opinion) is entirely subjective.
Let each forum admin use whatever colors, font, background colors, etc... they want (or need specifically) for the forum.
Even restricting colours to the (how many are there? ) 256? "browser safe" colours" is a step too far since dithering differs between browsers anyway. When I compare 1 of my forums on 2 different screens they look different anayway (even drastically different) even if screen size is the only difference.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

I think what this idea is saying is that when you use text colouring in a post then the colour should be compatible with the style i.e. not allow, say, white text if the background colour is very pale - I can see the point but still not sure how that could be applied with multiple styles for a board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
hubaishan
Translator

Post by hubaishan »

warmweer wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 pm Let each forum admin use whatever colors, font, background colors, etc... they want (or need specifically) for the forum.
This idea is focuses on this goal. phpBB now is offering 125 colors in the editor. It is better to reduce this number to 10 main color and 4 subs for each one as attached pic from MS Word.
1439-05-19 10_56_25-.png
1439-05-19 10_56_25-.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
The admin will determine which colors is allowed in his board by the editing the style. Style writers also will determine which colors is compatible with his style. When changing the style content colors changing also.
david63

Post by david63 »

hubaishan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 am When changing the style content colors changing also.
How would you handle the situation where for example you have two styles on your board - one basically white and the other black (yes I know these are extremes but they are just examples)

In the white style you allow black text so that is added to the post but on the black style you do not allow black but someone who has the black style when reading the post will not see the text as it will be black on black.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

This is technically pointless, as the color picker is just a help, not a restriction - you're still able to use custom values in your BBCode that accepts colors, just as:

[color=#CAFE00]one[/color]
[color=#BAD]two[/color]
[color=red]one[/color]
If colors are restricted per style then the BBCode parser must also check against this and yield an error message when a disallowed color is used.

This is also logically pointless, as a custom BBCode can very well be used for background colors, and then there is no need to find "beautiful" colors anymore, because combined with a chosen text color it will be contrastful in any way.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
hubaishan
Translator

Post by hubaishan »

david63 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 am
hubaishan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 am When changing the style content colors changing also.
How would you handle the situation where for example you have two styles on your board - one basically white and the other black (yes I know these are extremes but they are just examples)

In the white style you allow black text so that is added to the post but on the black style you do not allow black but someone who has the black style when reading the post will not see the text as it will be black on black.
As in main idea post, the style will define classes for the colors not direct styling and color bbcode will set the class and will not change the color by inline style.
hubaishan
Translator

Post by hubaishan »

AmigoJack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 am This is technically pointless, as the color picker is just a help, not a restriction - you're still able to use custom values in your BBCode that accepts colors, just as:

[color=#CAFE00]one[/color]
[color=#BAD]two[/color]
[color=red]one[/color]
If colors are restricted per style then the BBCode parser must also check against this and yield an error message when a disallowed color is used.

This is also logically pointless, as a custom BBCode can very well be used for background colors, and then there is no need to find "beautiful" colors anymore, because combined with a chosen text color it will be contrastful in any way.
The color bbcode will be changed to:
bbcode use:

[color={IDENTIFIER}]{TEXT}[/color]
HTML replace:

<span class="cc-{IDENTIFIER}">{TEXT}</span>
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Why {IDENTIFIER} and not {COLOR} to begin with?
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
hubaishan
Translator

Post by hubaishan »

AmigoJack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 pm Why {IDENTIFIER} and not {COLOR} to begin with?
To make ability to change the color if the style changes. The IDENTIFIER is the CSS class name. And may be changed in different styles.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

What about group colors - how do you imagine restricting a choice there?
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

User creates a post/reply & your idea is in effect (template style is default one). What will happen after style change (template style is custom one)?
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

From what I understood is: you no longer choose colors, but instead only indexes. And in every style this index can render in a different color.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Even though this idea is not bad, it puts limitations! Restriction/limitation is not beauty. Standard prosilver is light color base & any color or all most any color will fuse with it. Implementing that idea would bring a mess (conflict with current active color tag in post data) & not everyone could deal with it in a relaxed easy way.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
hubaishan
Translator

Post by hubaishan »

AmigoJack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm From what I understood is: you no longer choose colors, but instead only indexes. And in every style this index can render in a different color.
👍

Return to “phpBB Ideas”