DB Backup Scheduler

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Sir Xiradorn
Name: Tony Frost

DB Backup Scheduler

Post by Sir Xiradorn »

The idea is really simple. The possibility to schedule the normal backup procedure with the help of the phpbb cron. The possible choises to make those backup maybe the follow: daily, weekly, montly, manual. Another cool option mayby the backup retention number. Another cool option is to automatic send the db compressed throw mail for having the backup in a safe place.

There is two possibility to implement: core stuff, or an official extension supported by the phpbb team to allow this feature.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: DB Backup Scheduler

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

This should be in core or official extension to always provide a tool compatible with the current version of phpbb.
Sir Xiradorn
Name: Tony Frost

Post by Sir Xiradorn »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 pm viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2400156

robert
Yep i know this extension, but i think is a very good enhancements to the built-in phpbb backup system and infact the smart david used a phpbb cron for doing those tasks. So the step to be an official ext is really close in my opinion
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I have an issue with auto backups from a bad experience years ago. You can backup the DB as much as you like but if the back ups are flawed because of whatever it’s a waste of time. You can’t beat a phpMyAdmin back up and a quick check on your local PC. For something as important as this it’s paramount to be sure your back up is good.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

Mick wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 am I have an issue with auto backups from a bad experience years ago. You can backup the DB as much as you like but if the back ups are flawed because of whatever it’s a waste of time. You can’t beat a phpMyAdmin back up and a quick check on your local PC. For something as important as this it’s paramount to be sure your back up is good.
I would not disagree that those comments - however if any backup routine is using the phpBB routines then there should be enough confidence in those routines to be able to accept their validity.

I too have had problems in the past (maybe 3.0) with the phpBB backup/restore but every restore that I have done recently from a phpBB backup has worked without any problems.

There is nothing wrong with a "belt and braces" approach though.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

To be honest I haven’t used the phpBB backup for a long time. I’ll try it next time I have to do something in 3.2.

My paranoia will still insist I check the backups though😠
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There is not a whole lot of difference between phpmyadmin backups and phpBB, both serve as frontends for the database and will operate under the same php limitations. Execution time limits or others can cause a truncated file with no indication the backup did not complete unless you look at the server logs or examine the backup.

If you are working with a large database you really should be working with shell command or script that can issue them. If you have root access this script will do anything you need:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/

It will create daily, weekly and monthly backups and rotate them out as required. I never rotate the monthly backups. I have my FTP scheduled to download new backup daily.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

I use mysqldumper via server cron script to generate my backups. The project is discontinued by the author, but still maintained by the community, see https://github.com/DSB/MySQLDumper and the tool is adapted to PHP 7.
The english documentation seems to be gone, but the english section in the support board is still active: http://forum.mysqldumper.de/index.php?c=6

There is also a extension to use mysqldumper from the acp: https://www.phpbb.de/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=236351 (only in german, I'm afraid)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Lumpy Burgertushie

to me, the biggest problem with the acp backup is that it will not work in bigdump.
and also, the fact that it will just stop if it times out without any error message at all. as stated above, you have to check the backup file to make sure it got it all.
I have never seen phpmyadmin do that without an error message.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 pm to me, the biggest problem with the acp backup is that it will not work in bigdump.
???
Bigdump has been an irreplaceable item for me ever since my database backups (partials even) started to exceed 100 MB (zipped).
The ACP backups work just fine with me with Bigdump (staggered), whereas phpMyAdmin times out with large SQLfiles.
The only problem with Bigdump now is that it doesn't work with php 7+ (well, I can't get it to work).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Lumpy Burgertushie

you are correct of course, I was thinking backwards at the time.

robert

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

david63 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:14 pmif any backup routine is using the phpBB routines then there should be enough confidence in those routines to be able to accept their validity
Agreed but, for me, it’s too big a deal to assume everything is good, I was brought up assuming nothing.
Mick wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 pmI’ll try it next time I have to do something in 3.2
I did try it and it worked but I’ve had 3.0 ACP backups that worked in the past but it’s the reliability that concerns me. It’s hard for me to be comfortable with doing a backup without checking it’s validity.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Ger

Post by Ger »

Doesn't every descent host offer DB backups in the control panel? I can go back 7 days, that would suffice I'd say.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

Ger wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:43 pm Doesn't every descent host offer DB backups in the control panel? I can go back 7 days, that would suffice I'd say.
You assume that everyone uses a host that provides such services! The services you describe are usually provided by shared hosting or managed dedicated/vps companies however i'm sure there are many out there just like myself that use both Dedicated and VPS (unmanaged) servers where there are no backups, control panel or support (other than account related) offered.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”