Permission Descriptions

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Ideas Bot

Permission Descriptions

Post by Ideas Bot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:06 pm

I, along with many other users - especially new users, am often confused/unsure what a particular permission affects so adding a description when you hover over the permission option would help.

AmigoJack

Re: Permission Descriptions

Post by AmigoJack » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 pm

I agree that there are permissions captions just being too short to be precise. And a few permissions still need to be searched in all the code to effectively know when they kick in. However, a hover-approach is too impractical - why not just augmenting existing captions with the descriptions so they can be read all at once?

I.e.:
  • Can search board: find/search posts/topics using keywords/usernames; does not affect searching users in memberlist
  • Can change username: also needs the board-wide "allow username change" setting
  • Can view post details: allow searching users in memberlist by IP address; see/lookup IP addresses of posts/PMs/reports and all others used that IP address.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:08 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 pm
why not just augmenting existing captions with the descriptions so they can be read all at once?
Don't have a problem with that approach, but my original thinking was that it might make the form look a bit confusing and untidy.

Perhaps another option, that might be a bit more intuitive, could be to have an "information" button after the permission description.

I think that the bottom line here is that some (all?) permissions need clarifying as to what they do, what they affect and how they interrelate with one another.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 am

david63 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:08 am
I think that the bottom line here is that some (all?) permissions need clarifying as to what they do, what they affect and how they interrelate with one another.
That's a (very) valid point.
I think there's a need for an exhaustive manual on permissions, WITH examples. Over the years I've introduced a couple of my friends to phpBB and the one they they kept "bugging" me about was the permission system.
Mind you, no complaints about the system itself, it's very powerful and once you get the hang of it, it seems so obvious.
It's a clear YES from me for any means of clarifying the permisson system for new users.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Wes of StarArmy

Post by Wes of StarArmy » Thu May 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Permissions are often one of the most daunting steps for new admins on any forum software. Clear, complete information about them in an easily-found place would be useful. Ideally the permissions page could link to a wiki article or something?

Return to “phpBB Ideas”