Notification by an email about the new release phpBB

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
tojag
Name: Gregory

Notification by an email about the new release phpBB

Post by tojag » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 am

Many sites are neglected because administrators do not log into ACP regulary and do not check if there is a newer version of the scripts.
It would be good if phpBB would send an administrator email notification of the release of the new version.
This solution is used on other platforms (eg in the joomla that I use) and does not let you overlook the new release.
Particularly important if this is a critical edition patching the security gap.
Of course, this would require regular checking of the availability of the new version even if the admin is not logging in to ACP.
Sorry my english. I hope You understand what I mean.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Notification by an email about the new release phpBB

Post by david63 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 am

I don't know how Joomla works but unless you register your email then how would it know?

phpBB allows you to subscribe to the Announcements forum so when there is an announcement of a new version you will get an email/notification/feed - don't really see what more needs to be done.

Part of running/owning a board entails taking some responsibility.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:43 am

As david63 pointed out: each board administrator can register here and use phpBB's subscriptions or bookmarks feature along with the notification settings which would exactly do what you want. Bonus: everyone could register (when there are several administrators to the same board then it's even better, because everyone would get a notification).

(I would have liked to link to the exact headings, but an anchored URI such as https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.2/ug/userguide/ucp_overview/#ucp_subscriptions will be misinterpreted by a redirector)
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

tojag

Post by tojag » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:40 am

Not every owner of a site based on phpBB is registered in this forum. Those who are, are the elite :)
My point is that the phpBB script would send an email from the server on which it is installed, not from this forum. There is a notification channel and after logging into ACP we can see if a new edition has appeared. But not everyone logs into ACP every day. Sometimes, as admins, we also have holidays and information sent by e-mail about a critical update is expected.
In the mentioned joomla, I do not need to log in to ACP to check it out because I receive an email notification sent by my site.

Below text of joomla notification email (text from language file).
JOOMLA NOTIFICATION EMAIL wrote:"This email IS NOT sent by Joomla.org. It is sent automatically by your own site,\n[SITENAME] - [URL] \n\n================================================================================\nUPDATE INFORMATION\n================================================================================\n\nYour site has discovered that there is an updated version of Joomla! available for download.\n\nJoomla! version currently installed: [CURVERSION]\nJoomla! version available for installation: [NEWVERSION]\n\nThis email is sent to you by your site to remind you of this fact.\nThe Joomla! project will never contact you directly about available updates of Joomla! on your site.\n\n================================================================================\nUPDATE INSTRUCTIONS\n================================================================================\n\nTo install the update on [SITENAME] please select the following link. (If the URL is not a link, copy & paste it to your browser).\n\nUpdate link: [LINK]\n\nRelease News can be found here: [RELEASENEWS]\n\n================================================================================\nWHY AM I RECEIVING THIS EMAIL?\n================================================================================\n\nThis email has been automatically sent by a plugin provided by Joomla!, the software which powers your site.\nThis plugin looks for updated versions of Joomla! and sends an email notification to its administrators.\nYou will receive several similar emails from your site until you either update the software or disable these emails.\n\nTo disable these emails, please unpublish the 'System - Joomla! Update Notification' plugin in the Plugin Manager on your site.\n\nIf you do not understand what Joomla! is and what you need to do please do not contact the Joomla! project.\nThey are NOT sending you this email and they cannot help you. Instead, please contact the person who built or manages your site.\n\nIf you are the person who built or manages your website, please note that this plugin may have been activated automatically when you installed or updated Joomla! on your site.\n\n================================================================================\nWHO SENT ME THIS EMAIL?\n================================================================================\n\nThis email is sent to you by your own site, [SITENAME]"

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:16 pm

tojag wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:40 am
the phpBB script
That implies it's a job that periodically checks, instead of when accessing the ACP. The e-mail (hey, e-mail functionality can be disabled board-wide, don't forget that) or XMPP message would then be sent to... hrm... everyone having at least one administrative permission (which would also include i.e. forum administrators that otherwise would not and should not have access to other modules), or founders only? How about single users who don't want to be notified, since they are real administrators and maintain the board by regular checks?

And I think it would change little, as rather many board owners don't update because they fear loosing any extension's functionality, or they manipulated files and don't want to migrate them. Why should lazy owners be more encouraged by an e-mail?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

tojag

Post by tojag » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm not convinced by what you write. The joomla community is much larger than phpbb, and yet this functionality was considered necessary. For example, I manage 9 websites, I do not log every day to each of them, because it would be pointless. Some of them are my clients' websites. I forget about some of them, but when I receive an e-mail notification, I am updating and getting it done.
I would like phpBB to develop and introduce all the facilitations for people using it. Yes, I am aware that it is the community that creates phpBB and may be short of people to work. Therefore, I do not put all ideas as a requirement, but as a proposal to improve phpBB.
:)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm

what difference does it make where the email comes from. if an admin signs up for the phpbb emails they will get an email when there is an update.
they do not have to ever visit the admin panel to receive this email.

however, why would anyone bother to have a board if they don't ever visit the board and/or the admin panel?
also, updates are rarely, rarely so critical that you have to know about it on the same day it is first available. most updates/upgrades can be done at whatever time the admin/owner wishes. so, even if the admin only checks in once a month or two it will not be a problem.

no need to recreate a function that is basically already there.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

P_I

Post by P_I » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 pm

My solution, subscribe to the feed of phpBB • Announcements. No need to register on phpBB.com. When a new release, or anything else of significance happens, you have your notification via the feed. QED.

BTW, I do the same for other technologies I use such as WordPress, MediaWiki, etc.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

tojag

Post by tojag » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:21 pm

As I said, it is not for them whos have accounts here. I stared my forum and created account here after 6 years. So, probably this is a reason of dont understanding me.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:51 pm

tojag wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:21 pm
As I said, it is not for them whos have accounts here. I stared my forum and created account here after 6 years. So, probably this is a reason of dont understanding me.
As I said before - being an Admin and/or owing a board carries some responsibilities, one of which is knowing when update/upgrades are available.

Running a phpBB board is nowhere near the same as running FaceBook page/group where somebody else takes the responsibility. It is the same as running a car - you the owner/drive have to take responsibility for putting petrol in the car and not assume that it will happen by magic.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

P_I

Post by P_I » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:11 pm

tojag wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:21 pm
There is no need for an account here to subscribe to the ImageAtom or ImageRSS feed of phpBB • Announcements. That's where phpBB releases get announced.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 pm

And this even works for internal company boards not attached to the internet.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 pm

P_I wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:11 pm
There is no need for an account here to subscribe to the ImageAtom or ImageRSS feed of phpBB • Announcements. That's where phpBB releases get announced.
I agree that this possibility doens't require registation at phpBB.com but it still requires knowing (and remembering where phpbb should be downloaded). Unfortunately that is not always the case. I have installed phpBB for a couple of friends (strictly speaking acquaintances) under the condition that I provide some inital support but further administraton is up to them. Most of these boards are totally unmodified (not even an extension) but not once did an admin update before I had cordially enquired about the status of their forums. That's the moment I usually tell them that phpBB is now at version 3.x.x and then I see the facial expression usually expected from nitwits and the standard "Oh, I noticed something red on the page I hardly ever visit and it didn't seem important". I ended up doing the upgrading myself under the strict understanding that there are limits to my everlasting support :o .
Funny thing is that when 3.2.2 was released, I didn't update (still haven't) immediately (I like to wait a couple of weeks to experiment on localhost) and
read about the slight problems. After a couple of weeks, I sent a mail asking about any problems they had encountered updating. Answer: none whatsoever since thay hadn't updated. In fact none of them visit phpbb.com, notwithstanding the fact that they now (should) understand the meaning of that red notification in the ACP. (Yeah I know, I should get other friends ;) )

I have to agree with AmigoJack and david63 100% on this one, the ACP message is clear enough and it's up to the board admin to remain informed, beit through the notification, or subscription here or feeds.

The hand-holding has to stop sooner or later and adding another notification system just encourages the dependency on others.
A firm NO coming up.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

tojag

Post by tojag » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 am

warmweer wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 pm
Most of these boards are totally unmodified (not even an extension) but not once did an admin update before I had cordially enquired about the status of their forums. That's the moment I usually tell them that phpBB is now at version 3.x.x and then I see the facial expression usually expected from nitwits and the standard "Oh, I noticed something red on the page I hardly ever visit and it didn't seem important".
That's what I mean Warmweer. Maybe the appropriate strong message sent to the email will make these people find time to update. I don't know, but maybe worths trying. It is also good for the phpBB team (as well as any other project) that users use the latest versions as much as possible. Not only does joomla send notifications about new versions. Imagine that users of Windows, Android, osX would be obliged to constantly look at the manufacturers' websites or enter system settings and check for new updates :) They do not have to be notified.

Yes, David, not many people are really responsible and you do not have to explain it to me, because in this forum I constantly write about security, eg 2FA or GDPR. Having the latest version usually increases security because it fixes known bugs of earlier versions. We should do everything to educate the owners of phpBB-based websites. That's what the biggest ones do and phpBB should not avoid good patterns.

Regards :)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Personally I think it’s just more bloat. Admins should log in regularly anyway but, as has been said, there are other ways to find out if there are updates/upgrades available.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Return to “phpBB Ideas”