Notification by an email about the new release phpBB

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Re: Notification by an email about the new release phpBB

Post by Ger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Alternative approach: add a notification for admins in case of a new update.
Even if an administrator doesn't login to the ACP on a regular basis, having a notification in the front-end would get their attention I'd say. They may choose to ignore that, but that's up to them.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Why is there a need for a second layer notification in the core? If one feels like he/she needs an e-mail or notification, then make an extension (extension request). Is this laziness to not log into acp?
"When answer lies in the question,.. question becomes redundant!"

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:58 am

You don't even need to subscribe to rss feeds. You can follow phpBB on Twitter or Facebook where new versions are also announced.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Wes of StarArmy

Post by Wes of StarArmy » Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm

The way I've been doing it on my forum is to import RSS feeds and have the forum create a new post in my admin forum when there's an announcement from the official site. This lets me know when there's a new release.

I'm not sure Vanilla phpBB 3.2 can do this (I'm a little rusty on phpBB's most recent features) but there may be an extension that can make posts from RSS feeds.
Ger wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm
Alternative approach: add a notification for admins in case of a new update.
Even if an administrator doesn't login to the ACP on a regular basis, having a notification in the front-end would get their attention I'd say. They may choose to ignore that, but that's up to them.
This would be ideal. Dokuwiki does this (putting a notice on all of the wiki pages that only the admin can see) and it's a really simple but effective system.

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 am

Wes of StarArmy wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm
The way I've been doing it on my forum is to import RSS feeds and have the forum create a new post in my admin forum when there's an announcement from the official site. This lets me know when there's a new release.

I'm not sure Vanilla phpBB 3.2 can do this (I'm a little rusty on phpBB's most recent features) but there may be an extension that can make posts from RSS feeds.
Feed post bot does this.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

Return to “phpBB Ideas”