Mark Edited Posts as Unread

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
david63

Mark Edited Posts as Unread

Post by david63 »

The title is, I think, self explanatory.

There are many board users who use the "Unrear posts" option when accessing a board. The downside of this is that where, as with phpBB, there is a policy of not bumping topics by adding another reply but to edit the last post then you miss these edited posts.

I cannot believe that this is not already in the Ideas forum (or if it is I could not see it)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Mark Edited Posts as Unread

Post by Brf »

You mean to bump the topic when it is edited?
david63

Post by david63 »

Brf wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm You mean to bump the topic when it is edited?
No I mean mark it unread
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

There is no such things as "marked unread".
A topic is "unread" if its last edited date is beyond the user-marked date for the board/forum/topic.
Therefore, to mark a topic as unread, you would have to change its last edited date, which is exactly what "bumping" does.
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

I think this would be a good addition, especially as on some forums that don't have bumping rules etc some members don't like to post after their own posts, so they go back and update their post, which is often not noticed.

A down point could be that if someone edits their post just to correct a simple spelling mistake, it would keep flagging as unread.
Boom.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Perhaps the edits could be integrated with bump function, e.g. "Submit & Bump" that would appear after X amount of time.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

thecoalman wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:27 am Perhaps the edits could be integrated with bump function, e.g. "Submit & Bump" that would appear after X amount of time.
+1
Ger

Post by Ger »

Curious, can't quote the first post here...
where, as with phpBB, there is a policy of not bumping topics by adding another reply but to edit the last post then you miss these edited posts.
I think one should ask himself as a board owner: why don't I want people to add a reply instead of editing the last post? I think this is to prevent pseudo-bumping.

Therefore, if this is implemented:
thecoalman wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:27 am Perhaps the edits could be integrated with bump function, e.g. "Submit & Bump" that would appear after X amount of time.
The whole rule just doesn't make sense anymore. The topic is bumped anyway.

If however the topics_track table is changed for user_id/topic_id combo to set the mark_time back to the previous post, that could indeed help: the post shows up in the unread posts function again (or any other way to list topics) but it's not bumped to be the latest post in a forum, it's not on top of the topic listing in a forum, etc.

So I actually see the benefit of this idea. Not sure if it's a good idea though.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Ger wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:40 pm
If however the topics_track table is changed for user_id/topic_id combo to set the mark_time back to the previous post,
You would have to change it for every user to make that useful. It also would not work for editing posts in the middle of a topic, or where anyone has used “mark all read” for the forum, or board as a whole. Marking-all-read deletes the topics_track for every topic in the forum or board. The way to make it work is to edit the topic’s last post date, just like bumping.
Leinad4Mind
Translator

Post by Leinad4Mind »

This bump and mark edited posts seems to me a bad idea. Why should it touch in posts times, that always causes problems.

3.1 implemented Notifications. We should use more the notifications system. And this is, at least for me, the right thing to do with this idea. Sending a notification to all users that bookmarked and/or subscribed the topic when the topic (1st post) is edited. About the others messages I don't see the advantage of sending a notification but why not... (maybe an acp option to choose between 1st post only and all posts)
Want to access all my portuguese MOD and Extension translations?
Become my Patreon!
phpBB Portugal Translator and Moderator
roberto.vinha
Name: Roberto Hebert de Souza Vinha

Post by roberto.vinha »

All users who have read the topic should be notified of the edition.
Roberto Hebert :)
david63

Post by david63 »

roberto.vinha wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:22 pm All users who have read the topic should be notified of the edition.
Only if they want to be
David

roberto.vinha
Name: Roberto Hebert de Souza Vinha

Post by roberto.vinha »

david63 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:29 pm
roberto.vinha wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:22 pm All users who have read the topic should be notified of the edition.
Only if they want to be
Yes, could have configuration option.
Roberto Hebert :)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Yes, a notification that a post was edited seems to be the better option, without it being set as a default notification.
The problem with non-default notifications is that users never seem to know they exists (in fact usually don't even know how to change their notification settings (which is why I put "problems" in italics - the real problem is the users ;) ).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

For what it's worth, my "vote" would be for the message author/editor to be the one making that choice, because they are the ones who know the nature of the edit. Meaning I liked the "Submit Edit" versus "Submit Edit & Bump Topic" option for the person who is editing, so that they can indicate the difference between "I changed a word" versus "wow, I screwed that up bad."

The reader being "forced" to see this as a "bumped thread" is no different than control the author already has. i.e. They could have simply posted a new message quoting themselves and saying "wow, I screwed that up bad, here is the correct information" instead of editing the bad information out of their original post. And no one would have a choice of whether the thread was bumped or not, because it's a new message.

So giving the author that control and decision when editing doesn't seem like "some new unwanted notification burden", from my perspective.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”