Warning notifications

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Drakath

Warning notifications

Post by Drakath »

It would be nice to have an option to notify users about a warning by notification instead of a private message. I don't want to receive all the replies asking for forgiveness so I usually have to opt out of the "Notify user about warning" entirely which makes users unaware of their warnings.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Warning notifications

Post by Mick »

Hmm, I see this as part of a moderators/admin/founders duty, not everything is automatic and the human touch is needed sometimes. Getting a notification “You’ve been warned” would do nothing to make it any better for the user and you’ll probably still get dear john pm’s.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Drakath

Post by Drakath »

If the notification would include a warning reason then it would perfectly serve its function. When receiving a private message people tend to believe that these messages were not automated and that they are expected to respond. Including a note that the message was not personally sent by the admin is also possible but is rather inconvenient.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

I don't see a problem with this, especially if given the option to disable these types of warnings. On other forums when I'm warned I'm often wondering why, if a post link or something is given in that warning that would be pretty helpful as well.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Toxyy wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:57 amOn other forums when I'm warned I'm often wondering why
If you know each board's rules and you followed them then consider the board's owners being idiots, not following their own rules.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what am I missing? if you get a warning and you get a PM telling you so, then you should also get a notification that you got a PM ( providing you have that option check in your notification settings.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
LavIgor

Post by LavIgor »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:26 pm what am I missing? if you get a warning and you get a PM telling you so, then you should also get a notification that you got a PM
This idea isn't about receiving notifications but about making the life easier to moderators.
Currently you cannot issue a warning and stay anonymised to the user.

Possibly anonymising a moderator is better than exposing his/her name sometimes.
You still can appeal against a warning by sending a PM to anyone on the board's team.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

LavIgor wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:26 pm what am I missing? if you get a warning and you get a PM telling you so, then you should also get a notification that you got a PM
This idea isn't about receiving notifications but about making the life easier to moderators.

Possibly anonymising a moderator is better than exposing his/her name sometimes.
You still can appeal against a warning by sending a PM to anyone on the board's team.
I guess I can see the alternative style to not seeing the moderator who warned you, but then again how would abuse of a certain moderator who is power tripping be handled? By the admin who reads all of the appeals?
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Drakath

Post by Drakath »

Toxyy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:54 am
LavIgor wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm

I guess I can see the alternative style to not seeing the moderator who warned you, but then again how would abuse of a certain moderator who is power tripping be handled? By the admin who reads all of the appeals?
Other admins can easily see who issues warnings. There's a section called user feedback that displays this.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I think this is called passing the buck.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Drakath

Post by Drakath »

Mick wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 am I think this is called passing the buck.
Anonymising the admin isn't really what I'm concerned about. The idea is to allow admins to opt out of sending a private message and create a notification instead. Private messages are perceived as a tool of exchanging personal information between a group of people, not a tool for the system to notify you about something.
Drakath wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:54 pm When receiving a private message people tend to believe that these messages were not automated and that they are expected to respond.
A warning notification could still include the name of the admin as far as I'm concerned. This would simply solve the problem of people sending unnecessary responses. If something is not clear, the user can always post a topic about it or open the profile of the admin who issued a warning and then send them a private message.
david63

Post by david63 »

I don't see what the point of this is. If a Moderator or Admin issues a warning then that is part of the responsibility of that role and "if they cannot stand the heat then they get out of the kitchen"
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Drakath

Post by Drakath »

david63 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:32 am I don't see what the point of this is. If a Moderator or Admin issues a warning then that is part of the responsibility of that role and "if they cannot stand the heat then they get out of the kitchen"
Have you even read my posts? The point it to avoid unnecessary responses, not "heat" and even if that was the case your statement is still invalid since admins do have an option to not send a private message and that way avoid "heat". The problem is that this way users are left unaware of their warnings.
What I want to see are two checkboxes (or radioboxes):
Notify user
Send a private message

It also makes the whole software more congruent, notifications are used to notify and private messages are used to engage in private conversations.
Drakath wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 am If something is not clear, the user can always post a topic about it or open the profile of the admin who issued a warning and then send them a private message.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Drakath wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:53 amusers are left unaware of their warnings
This is not true: warnings are shown in:
  • the mini profile, which means: you'll see it yourself if you manage to look on at least one post you made
  • the UCP front page (though I understand almost no user expects to check that module every once in a while, and not only for potential warnings)

Drakath wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:53 ammakes the whole software more congruent
Consistent. Our thoughts may be congruous.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Something I have seen on other Fora is a specific Moderator Account that all moderators have access to. This is then used for all the 'unpleasant' tasks should you choose.

Personally I feel thats the sh!t comes with the job. If they can't deal with it, get better moderators.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”