Subscribe forum option could be more intuitive

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
phpbbX

Subscribe forum option could be more intuitive

Post by phpbbX »

I have seen that the TICKED "Subscribe forum" means that I am NOT subscribed. Clicking it removes such tick and shows unticked "Unsubscribe forum". Then "User Control Panel - Overview - Manage subscriptions" shows such thread as subscribed. Sorry about such confusion on my side, yet such interface (tick on "Subscribe forum") seems anti-intuitive to me and actually fooled me. It is my suggestion to change the TICKED "Subscribe forum" by an UNTICKED one to mean that subscription is NOT active. That is a suggestion for the admins here.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Subscribe forum option could be more intuitive

Post by HiFiKabin »

I agree (and have brought this up before) having the "Subscribe" check box ticked implies you are already subscribed.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Mick wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 am
Personally I think it’s awkward the way it is. I’d prefer two radio buttons (yes/no) or something similar so you can see exactly what’s going on at first glance.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
david63

Post by david63 »

Would this not be better addressed as a Bug Ticket - if it has not already been reported that way?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Agreed.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

That's a FontAwesome iconfa-check-square-o to be switched to fa-square-o and vice-et-versa, that should do. Not tried.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Random American

Post by Random American »

I'm bumping this as I think this needs more attention.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu »

The problem is that the icon is connected to the action (subscribe/unsubscribe) but not to the subscription status. So having an empty checkbox visualizing "Subscribe" option and vice versa would look confusing. That is the reason why this idea looks simple to implement but not implemented for 3 years already I guess :)
Would it probably be better to go with fa-bell-o for "Subscribe" and fa-bell-slash-o for "Unsubscribe" instead?
ssl
Name: Fred

Post by ssl »

Hi
You can do yourself, open viewtopic_topic_tools.html and find this:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF U_WATCH_TOPIC -->
					<li>
						<a href="{U_WATCH_TOPIC}" class="watch-topic-link" title="{S_WATCH_TOPIC_TITLE}" data-ajax="toggle_link" data-toggle-class="icon <!-- IF S_WATCHING_TOPIC -->fa-check-square-o<!-- ELSE -->fa-square-o<!-- ENDIF --> fa-fw" data-toggle-text="{S_WATCH_TOPIC_TOGGLE}" data-toggle-url="{U_WATCH_TOPIC_TOGGLE}" data-update-all=".watch-topic-link">
							<i class="icon <!-- IF S_WATCHING_TOPIC -->fa-square-o<!-- ELSE -->fa-check-square-o<!-- ENDIF --> fa-fw" aria-hidden="true"></i><span>{S_WATCH_TOPIC_TITLE}</span>
						</a>
					</li>
				<!-- ENDIF -->

Delete and replace by this:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF U_WATCH_TOPIC -->
					<li>
						<a href="{U_WATCH_TOPIC}" class="watch-topic-link" title="{S_WATCH_TOPIC_TITLE}" data-ajax="toggle_link" data-toggle-class="icon <!-- IF S_WATCHING_TOPIC -->fa-bell-o<!-- ELSE -->fa-bell-o<!-- ENDIF --> fa-fw" data-toggle-text="{S_WATCH_TOPIC_TOGGLE}" data-toggle-url="{U_WATCH_TOPIC_TOGGLE}" data-update-all=".watch-topic-link">
							<i class="icon <!-- IF S_WATCHING_TOPIC -->fa-bell-slash<!-- ELSE -->fa-bell-slash<!-- ENDIF --> fa-fw" aria-hidden="true"></i><span>{S_WATCH_TOPIC_TITLE}</span>
						</a>
					</li>
				<!-- ENDIF -->

When you subscribe a topic
Subscribe.png

You don't subscribe a topic
Unsubscribe.png
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB version: 3.3.4
php version: 8.0.7

Return to “phpBB Ideas”