new.new
Posted:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 pm
Rating:
New
new.new

Ignore a topic

Post by new.new » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Give to users the possibility to ignore a topic.

AmigoJack

Re: Ignore a thread

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Oh, this is already implemented - even twice:
  1. phpBB doesn't know threads, hence they're ignored to begin with
  2. a member just doesn't visit/read a topic (or what exactly did you mean by "ignore"?)
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:34 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 pm
Oh, this is already implemented - even twice:
  1. phpBB doesn't know threads, hence they're ignored to begin with
  2. a member just doesn't visit/read a topic (or what exactly did you mean by "ignore"?)
Haha, purely based on the title op this topic I was going to vote NO (precisely for Amigojack's first remark).
But I'll give the TS some leeway because I'm considering he would like to mark selected topics as invisible to him (for one reason or the other).
Some more info is needed, without which this idea's implementation will not go beyond the already present human trait allowing ignoring of anything.
Last edited by warmweer on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:43 pm

My first thought was that it was something along the lines of the "foes" system but for topics and/or posts but I am not sure how you could implement such a system until "after the event" i.e. you will have already read the topic before deciding to ignore - but that is waht you do now "manually"
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Ignore a topic on what bases? Title? Give us more details about your idea.
"When answer lies in the question,.. question becomes redundant!"

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm

I can imagine a feature for users to mark topics to "ignore". That way, they won't show up as indicators for new posts.

For instance; If there were a topic I'm not interested in (A), but in a forum with topics that I AM interested in (B), it would be nice if that new messages in topic A wouldn't mark that forum as having new messages.

Of course, that idea would have to be worked out properly. For instance; if there were notifications originating from such topics (mentions, quotes, etc.), should those be ignored as well? And what if I have posted once in some slowchat topic that I don't want to follow anymore and choose to ignore, would that topic still show up in the active topic list or in "Your posts"? Etc. etc.

In essence though, I see a proper use case for such a feature, if worked out properly.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

new.new

Post by new.new » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:35 pm

david63 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:43 pm
My first thought was that it was something along the lines of the "foes" system but for topics and/or posts but I am not sure how you could implement such a system until "after the event" i.e. you will have already read the topic before deciding to ignore - but that is waht you do now "manually"
Yes, i meant something like that.
If a user is not interest in a topic, he can manually ignore it, so it will not show up anymore.

new.new

Post by new.new » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:36 pm

Ger wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm
Of course, that idea would have to be worked out properly. For instance; if there were notifications originating from such topics (mentions, quotes, etc.), should those be ignored as well? And what if I have posted once in some slowchat topic that I don't want to follow anymore and choose to ignore, would that topic still show up in the active topic list or in "Your posts"? Etc. etc.
I didn't have a precise idea about these questions, but maybe we can let the user choose if he wants to see notification from "ignored" topic or not

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 pm

new.new wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:36 pm
I didn't have a precise idea about these questions, but maybe we can let the user choose if he wants to see notification from "ignored" topic or not
That basically makes the feature worthless since the user would have to either mark the notification as read, or effectively read the topic.
Ignoring a topic should inherently also imply receiving no notifications (even when quoted).
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:50 pm

I'll be developing something like this soon, maybe. It would make it so that foes don't exist on your forum, and I'm still deciding whether that means that their topics don't show up in the forum.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics

new.new

Post by new.new » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Toxyy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:50 pm
I'll be developing something like this soon, maybe. It would make it so that foes don't exist on your forum, and I'm still deciding whether that means that their topics don't show up in the forum.
Good, send me a pm if you'll do it.
For "don't show up" i'd suggest to completely delete the thread from all the pages in the forum.
And generate a page where the user can see all the "ignored" topic and decide to un-ignore them.

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:01 pm

new.new wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:36 pm
For "don't show up" i'd suggest to completely delete the thread from all the pages in the forum.
And generate a page where the user can see all the "ignored" topic and decide to un-ignore them.
My extension will not be to ignore topics, but may include a quasi ignoring topic feature. Won't ever add that page or feature and don't see the usefulness of doing it that way anyways.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm

new.new wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:36 pm
Better still, regularly check the Extensions in Development forum, and subscribe to the topic so that Toxxy doesn't have to send PMs.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 pm

The "logical behavior" that comes to mind for me, for what it's worth:

Unless the subject line alone is able to make your decision, indeed you will probably have read the thread already once or twice. Either you read and/or participated before the thread later veers into a subject you don't want reminded about; or you read it just initially and determined the subject was distressing or tedious enough to want to mute.

Regardless of why, now that you want to mute it, the mute should happen according to the specific thread ID on which you invoked the mute option. i.e. Not "mute any post that matches the original post name", and not in a way the mute will become undone by someone renaming a post later; just "never show me t=2493616 any more." Don't show it in any of the forum reading views, and don't show it to me in the active lists / latest posts.

And don't allow it to generate a notification I otherwise would have qualified for. If I won't be able to see it upon accessing the forum, I certainly won't want to be notified of new things I won't be able to actually see. Plus the point of muting is to mute.

If someone splits the thread and creates an additional thread ID, the new one is NOT muted by default until the reader decides it's content isn't something they want to see and puts the new thread on mute, too.

Any posts I made in the muted thread do continue to show up in "my posts." Your own words are your own words, unless or until you delete them. If I'm searching within the things I wrote, I want to be able to find them even if it was in a thread that later turned toxic.

I suppose being able to apply the same logic to a forum ID makes sense too. e.g. I have a board that I enjoy, but it has some "anything goes" forums that I don't participate in. Their presence causes some trash to keep showing up in the active threads list which unnecessarily damages my calm. I'll choose to mute those entire forums, and not just specific threads "after the fact."

Yes, it does make sense that the UCP would show a list of threads and forums that I've selected to mute, in case it was accidental and/or to un-mute in the future. Same as UCP needs to show the foes list in order to remove one in the future.

new.new

Post by new.new » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 pm

EA117 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 pm
The "logical behavior" that comes to mind for me, for what it's worth:
Yeah, it seems reasonable.
Last edited by Mick on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”