P_I
Posted:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:20 pm
Rating:
New
Ideas Bot

User selectable ability to show or hide a forum

Post by Ideas Bot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:20 pm

I've looked and I don't think an extension exists for this, yet. Looking at a forum structure like QNAP NAS Community Forum - Index page, it would be very helpful as a member to be able to choose which forums I wanted included in my board via a simple "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" at the forum (or category) level.

Dedicated administrators can in theory create this ability with open groups and appropriate group forum permissions, but I think it would be useful functionality to offer in via settings in the User Control Panel.

Lady_G

Re: User selectable ability to show or hide a forum

Post by Lady_G » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:47 pm

I think this is a good idea.

My board has members interested in topics which can appear across user-defined groups. Allowing members to select individual forums in the User Control Panel will reduce my workload and provide members with exactly what they want to see.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Not exactly what you want, but on categories level you can achieve similar result with the collapsible categories extension.
Lady_G wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:47 pm
Allowing members to select individual forums in the User Control Panel will reduce my workload
I guess it will increase the workload because additional checks need to be made in the database calls on a per user base.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:13 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:50 pm
Not exactly what you want, but on categories level you can achieve similar result with the collapsible categories extension.
Lady_G wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:47 pm
Allowing members to select individual forums in the User Control Panel will reduce my workload
I guess it will increase the workload because additional checks need to be made in the database calls on a per user base.
Collapsible forum categories does help on the board index.. I’m already using that but it doesn’t help the case when the member is browsing using Active topics on Unread posts, the unwanted forum topics and posts are still shown to the member.

Added: On one of the boards I admin, we've created open groups with appropriate group forum permissions that members can use to limit at the category level. It is doable, but requires planning and careful design of the group forum permissions to make it work.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “phpBB Ideas”