Skyrider
Posted:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:37 am
Rating:
New
Skyrider

Edit History Feature

Post by Skyrider » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:37 am

Quite and simple, a core feature where every all post edits are being logged to an extend set in the admin panel. Eg, how many revisions to save with the ability to compare each edit revision wit each other to see what has been changed and maybe a feature to restore the post to that specific revision.

There has been mods/ext for this since 2008, so quite surprised this was not included yet. An edit history is vital for every forum board seeing a simple user edit without editing history will erase any proof with a few clicks.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: Edit History Feature

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm

An extension already exists for this: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2470456&p=15003111
Judging from the activity there however it doesn't seem to be a much sought-after feature to be honest.

There are good reasons as to why we haven't even considered adding such a feature to the core, the main one probably being it would more than likely double the storage space used by the posts table and storage is important when taking into account shared hosts. My opinion is that this should just be an extension.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

kasimi
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by kasimi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:28 pm

As for the table size, assuming that most of the time users only fix typos and add information rather than change everything in each edit, the post versions could be stored incrementally, preferably in reverse order. I do agree that this should be an extension.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Another point to bear in mind storage-wise is that not all posts are edited. In my experience it is probably less than 10%
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Skyrider

Post by Skyrider » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:09 pm

I understand that it would take up more database space, though in my opinion such a feature should not be on by default. Just having the feature, set to off by default but can be enabled by admins if they wish to use it would be awesome. Now, I'm already using the ext which is great. But who knows how compatible it will be for future releases, which in the end it might break and someone might not enhance/make another one.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:51 am

Such a feature would have only benefits: it wouldn't affect performance, and those concerned with storage space could easily use prunes or switch it off entirely - it wouldn't add more overhead than what "soft deleted posts" have introduced already.

Comparing revisions would be the most difficult task:
  • Should it be done by showing both revisions at once and marking differences? Even for contexts only this is problematic: the "Attachments" tab is not shown by default, but if attachments are the only thing that changed then this could only be shown thru coloring the tab.
  • Comparing texts and outlining only the changes is a challenge: while it's rather easy to just tell "subject and text has changed" it's not so easy to highlight the actual text portions in either of them.
The board search need to be adjusted, too:
  • There needs to be an option up to with revision posts should be found.
  • There needs to be an option to search within a post (and its revisions) only.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

rubencm
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by rubencm » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Someone started it here, but is now closed https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/1200

Return to “phpBB Ideas”