thebirdman23
Posted:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 am
Rating:
New
thebirdman23

New Feature: Topic Tagging

Post by thebirdman23 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 am

Originally posted this Here but decided to create a new idea after realising it was fundamentally different.

An enhancement of this caliber would let users interact in a new and exciting way.
Outlined in this post is a tagging system worthy of phpBB.
This is a solid system with just the right features.
And a degree of control allowing any board to integrate with open arms.

Board Wide Settings:
Default_Tag_List - Defines a list of always available default tags a user can choose from when creating/editing topics.

Per User/Group Settings:
Max_Tag_Count - Limits the total number of tags a user/group can add to any single topic. (default 5?)

Per User/Group Permissions:
Can_Add_Tag - Can a user/group add tags to their topics?
Can_Add_New_Tag - Can a user/group create new tags?
Can_Add_Tag_Any - Can a user/group add tags to any topic? (for moderation)

Per Category/Forum Settings:
Users/Groups without Can_Add_New_Tag permissions will only have access to the following tagsets when creating/editing topics:
AvailableTags_Default - Only allow tags from the Default_Tag_List
AvailableTags_All - Defaults + any tag currently in use across the entire board.
AvailableTags_Self - Defaults + any tag used by topics within the posting forum/category and all their children.
AvailableTags_Parent - Defaults + any tag used by topics within the posting forums parent forum/category and all their children.
Alternatively, a more intuitive option would be to have a drop-down box which allows you to select which category/forum to pull tags from, along with a check-box that controls pulling tags from their children.
Use_Any_Tag - A yes/no option to only display topics that include every specified tag or topics that include any specified tag.
Default_Tag_List - Can be set to override the global Default_Tag_List if a value is specified.
Max_Tag_Count - Can be set to override the user/group setting if a value is specified.

Per Category/Forum Permissions
Can_Add_Tag - Can be set to override the user/group setting if a value is specified.
Can_Add_New_Tag - Can be set to override the user/group setting if a value is specified.

Giving administrators a high degree of control over a users available tagset presents a highly robust system capable of many possible use-cases across a single board. Tags can be setup to have very specific and different purposes depending on who the user is and where they are currently trying to create/edit a topic.

Now the grand finale to bring it all together..
A new Forum Type and it's simple. You can call it something like "Tagged Topic Display" (TTD for short).
This forum type is easy, just define one or more tags that the TTD will display. When a user views a TTD, it will group together any topic from across the entire board that use one or more of the tags you defined when setting it up and display them just like any other forum, only these topics have will have been cherry-picked from multiple locations.
Topics displayed in a TTD will show all the usual information along with one new thing.
Under the 'topic name' before it shows the author and timestamp, there would be a breadcrumb leading back to the topics physical location on the board (since a TTD is essentially just an alias pulling topics from all over the place and presenting them in an orderly fashion).
Posting replies in these topics would work exactly as it does already with one minor change. When clicking on and going into a topic displayed in a TTD, the topic being viewed would display a breadcrumb leading back to the TTD and not its physical location, any other scenario like this would have the same effect of bring the viewing user back to the TTD. This makes logical sense since a breadcrumb is supposed to show you a trail leading back from where you came (unless it was a quantum breadcrumb).

Well that's everything I can think of. It's lengthy and took forever to write but I believe this is a well thought out idea that only wishes to help bring a new feature to phpBB that a large majority of users would enjoy even if they don't realise it yet.
(You don't know what you're missing, until you know what you're missing.)
Last edited by thebirdman23 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Re: New Feature: Topic Tagging

Post by Meis2M » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:39 pm

i like this idea.
can you develop this ? are you programmer?
phpBB persian international support
Ultimate SEO Friendly URL - Extension
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:01 am

Unless being shorter than 4 characters this is basically how keywords and the board search already work: you just "add" the word to either the subject or the post text and all topics can be found by it thru the board search - search results already display the forum of a topic per match: example.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

thebirdman23

Post by thebirdman23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm

I believe my idea serves a much greater purpose than simply giving users a way to search for topics.

The obvious difference here is the new Forum Type, granted, you could add a Forum Type which is essentially a 'saved search' or, if you wanted to be quick and dirty, even create a Link to the url of a specific search. The new Forum Type in my idea though, for all intents and purposes, looks and feels like any regular forum (especially when viewed from an outside category/forum).

Then there is the actual tagging of topics. It's a new way for users to interact with and provide information to the board on their topics. Sure, instead of tagging you could just write it all out in the subject of your topic, or rely on key search terms in the body of the posts but that is a very broad search in my opinion. Topic Tags provide very narrow searching. A topic with 100 pages of posts might show up in 99% of all the searches ever made on a forum. Carefully crafted tags would almost guarantee the topic was pulled only when those tags were sought after. Some users may like to keep clean, tidy, professional looking topic titles too! It kind of all ties into the new Forum Type also if you think about how they compliment each other.

I see a lot of good uses for this idea and I'm more than happy to provide some other detailed examples for how it might better benefit a board and it's users over that of a broad board search. In no way am I trying to replace the regular search either, it's very useful on its own. Also, like most of my ideas, this is not a blanket enable/disable for an entire board. It's something you can turn on and customize on a per-forum level.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 am

thebirdman23 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm
It's a new way for users to interact with and provide information to the board on their topics.
The new way is already there, and it's no interaction either - only authoring. Believe me: whatever you want to put as tags onto a topic is in most cases already in the post text itself - and if not, it just has to be mentioned. Maybe users nowadays are too stupid to use a board search and instead rely on keywords already being shown to them...?
thebirdman23 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm
but that is a very broad search in my opinion. Topic Tags provide very narrow searching.
Carefully crafted tags
The "narrow searching" then also excludes many topics I want to find. The "carefully" (ha, good luck with that) crafted tags also can't be searched and are prone to the singular versus plural problem. How am I even able to list all tags or search tags?

No, tags are useful for strings that a board search or its DB can't cope with, like ISBNs other IDs or asian letters.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

thebirdman23

Post by thebirdman23 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:19 pm

I want to take a step back and analyse this from a different angle. The key feature here is the new forum type, the tags are just a necessary byproduct.

Say you have a forum dedicated to user picture submissions, vehicle reviews, or any type of topic which is specific in nature but contained in a forum that encoumpasses a broader idea.

Users come along and tag their topics appropriately, using picture submissions as an example, some tags may be 'photo', 'indoors', 'outdoors', 'people', 'objects'. The board administrator then sets up one of those Tagged Topic Forums to display whatever tag they feel is best suited for their board, maybe 'photo' and 'outdoors'. Thus creating a place where topics tagged with 'photo' and 'outdoors' are conveniently grouped.

Why not just split the 'picture submissions' forum up into smaller sub-forums for each type of submission? Board administrators may want to keep them all in a single topic, or, if they do split things into sub forums, users can still tag their topics with 'photo submission' for inclusion in a Tagged Topic Forum which is setup to include 'photo submission' tags.

Alternatively, you could declare a forum wide contest where any topic tagged with 'contest submission' will be considered allowing users to still post in whatever forum is appropriate to the context of their post yet while still using their topic as a submission for said contest.

So many potential uses, only limited by creativity.

I want to retract any statements made previously that harshly criticized the board search function. It can be extremely useful and powerful if using the advanced search (as I just learned). Embarrassingly enough I had never used advanced search and only ever quickly typed some terms into the search bar and hit enter. This almost always gave me useless cluttered results. That being said my idea is not trying to replace the board search by any means.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”