thebirdman23
Posted:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:53 am
Rating:
New
thebirdman23

Enhance: Forum Prune - Auto Move/Lock

Post by thebirdman23 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:53 am

I feel this should be a core feature of phpBB. Forum pruning already exists for removing this but not locking and/or moving them.
There are two clear paths to accomplish this goal.

#1. "Action Drop-Down Box" - Simply allow the user to select which action will be taken when an item qualifies for pruning (Delete/Lock/Move). This is would be the easiest option to implement.

#2. Individually set the days required for each action. 0 days would obviously mean that action would never be taken.
Auto-Prune Delete Age: XX Days
Auto-Prune Lock Age: XX Days
Auto-Prune Move Age: XX Days
I'm not sure this degree of control is required, however, administrators may want to move topics into a 'stale' forum on their board, leave the topics sit there for some more time, then finally lock/remove them if they still remain inactive.

Personally I could see a few uses for this, especially the automatic move+lock combination. For example, you run a contest every 28 days. Users post many topics in this forum during that timespan. The forum which holds topics from these contests can be setup to automatically move old-contest topics away after the 28 day period keeping it clean and clutter free for the next contest. This is just one example and I'm sure there are more.

I feel this should be a part of the core since it essentially extends the current Auto-Prune and has many, many, use-cases.

AbaddonOrmuz
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Re: Enhance: Forum Prune - Auto Move/Lock

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:27 pm

You can use the extension Auto-lock Topics, as its name says, it automatically lock topics after a configurable period of time, and since version 1.1.0 it also supports the extension Move Topics When Locked.
A proudly user of Arch Linux :: /r/sddm_themes

thebirdman23

Post by thebirdman23 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Thank you AbaddonOrmuz for the suggestion. I personally have instances where stale topics should automatically be moved without locking them. I'm sure there are others who would also like this functionality.

It seems like a simple enhancement to the current pruning system and I urge those of you down-voting to carefully consider how basic this functionality is before doing so.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 am

One pitfall is: whenever a forum is about to be deleted it first needs to be checked if it is used as a target forum for prune-moving topics, as it then cannot be deleted.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

thebirdman23

Post by thebirdman23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:36 pm

So for instance, (Board Index->Main Forum->Cool Contests->Expired Contests) where 'Expired Contests' is a prune-move target for 'Cool Contests'.

Attempting to delete 'Expired Contests' would throw an error saying 'Unable to delete 'Expired Contests': Is currently a target for prune-move events!' is this correct? Could you then be presented with an option of selecting a new target forum for prune-move events or clearing the forums prune-move event completely? I think this is an acceptable workaround, especially allowing the administrator to select a new target.

An alternate solution would be to simply set the prune-move target to the parent forum, in the example it would just automatically set 'Cool Contests' prune-move target to itself, 'Cool Contests'. This would allow you to go back later and set a new target, then the next time phpBB checks for pruning events it would still move all the stale topics, even the ones it may have missed since the old target was deleted.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:58 pm

thebirdman23 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:36 pm
Could you then be presented with an option of selecting a new target forum for prune-move events or clearing the forums prune-move event completely?
I discourage doing so: an error message is enough and forces the administrator to overthink his concept. Having the ability to choose a new move-lock-forum target overcomplicates things code wise and is prone to quick choices that are later forgotten.
thebirdman23 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:36 pm
simply set the prune-move target to the parent forum
This is not always available: it could already have no parent anymore, or the only parent left could be a category. Again: this only adds complexity, whereas the error message itself is enough and the administrator finds all necessary steps to choose from elsewhere.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

thebirdman23

Post by thebirdman23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:33 pm

I agree than an error message halting the deletion is enough.
I have to apologize, when you said 'one pitfall' I instinctually assumed you meant 'one reason why this is not feasible' and my mind went into debugging mode.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”