thebirdman23
Posted:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:18 pm
Rating:
New
thebirdman23

Enhance: Forum Rules - Display Options

Post by thebirdman23 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:18 pm

I use the current 'forum rules' section to give an extremely quick and concise rundown of what is supposed to be posted in that forum.
Currently, it feels slightly intrusive with that red box affixed to the top of every single page viewed within that forum.

There needs to be an option in ACP to control when this dialog is displayed:
Always, Topic Listings, Topic Creation, Topic Reply, Topic View
Allowing any combination of the above choices.

Administrators should be able to change the title from "Forum rules" to anything they desire.

Ability to change color scheme of dialog would be appreciated. Some categories/forums may want a bright red color to alert users to extremely important information and others may want a more subtle color for less pertinent notices.

As an added bonus, the ability to display a second dialog next to the current one. Each would take up 50% of the page width and allow administrators to add a second dialog of information that, while still pertinent, does not necessarily relate directly to information displayed in the original. Each dialog should have their own display options as outlined previously.

This is just an idea to deliver crucial information to users in an efficient organized way and ensuring they receive.
Expanded from a similar idea here.

AmigoJack

Re: Enhance: Forum Rules - Display Options

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 am

Performance wise this would be no harm at all and only add benefits. However, I don't see a need for another box (a dialog is something different: it needs interaction before the software continues, such as clicking "yes" or "no").
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

thebirdman23

Post by thebirdman23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm

My apologies, 'dialogue' seemed like the most appropriate word to describe it. The second box will not be useful to board administrators for every scenario which is why it can be optionally enabled/disabled. An example use for both boxes might be: A green box displaying 'what you should post here' and then a red box displaying 'what you shouldn't post here. Two boxes to further segregate useful information. There are probably many other examples if you sit and think for a few minutes. I just don't like to limit creativity and if we're going in and editing this section of phpBB code then we might as well kill two birds with one stone as they say. Adding the ability for a 2nd box later down the line is less likely to happen versus doing it along with these other features. All that being said, the 2nd box can be forgotten about, the other features are what are important here. :)

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:35 pm

The main problem with adding these "boxes" is that basically it is pointless because nobody reads them - and the more boxes that you have the less chance you have of any them being read. If there needs to be any information at this level, which personally I am not convinced about, then keep it as minimal as possible.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

thebirdman23

Post by thebirdman23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Thank you david63, agreed. The more information you throw at people, the less likely they are to read any of it.
I don't want the main focus of this idea to be about the '2nd box'.
The important aspects here are being able to control exactly when it is displayed and the ability to change its title/color scheme.
Personally for me, extremely short and concise 'what should be posted in this forum' type information is the main usage. Stickies are good for the nitty gritty details, but then users have to click on them, and that's an extra step which stops newbies from going into it before making their first few posts.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”