thebirdman23
Posted:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm
Rating:
New
thebirdman23

New Feature - Forum Type: Formatted Forum

Post by thebirdman23 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm

This idea suggests the implementation of a new Forum Type I would like to call "Formatted Forum".

A "Formatted Forum" would work exactly as a regular "Forum" does. The only difference is that users topics and posts would be forced to follow a specific format. Let me explain in more detail.

Upon creation of a Formatted Forum, an administrator is able to specify optional and required fields which would display when users create a new topic or reply to an existing one. These fields would be separated into two sections "Topic Fields" and "Reply Fields". Topic Fields display when creating a new topic, Reply Fields display when posting a reply. Optionally when setting up a Formatted Forum, administrators could enable the ability for users to make "Comment Posts" which are just regular old posts as situations will arise where making a "Formatted Reply" is not practical.

One use-case would be for a buy/sell section within a board. Topic Fields could consist of "Item Name" "Item Value" "Item Description" "Other Information". "Item Name", "Item Value", and "Item Description" would be required with "Other Information" being optional.
Reply Fields in this example would probably only consist of "Offered Value" and "Remarks". "Offered Value" being required and "Remarks" optional.

Another example could be for a contest forum. Topics outline a contest and users reply with their entries. Topic fields would consist of things like "Rules" "Description" "Contest Length/End Date" "Reward/Prize" etc. Reply Fields would have things like "Entry Title" "Images" "Description" etc.

More uses for this exist if you sit and think for a few moments. I think it's an interesting outside-the-box idea and would like to hear ideas and opinions of other users. I'm sure someone can suggest a few improvements.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: New Feature - Forum Type: Formatted Forum

Post by david63 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 pm

To me this idea is the total antithesis of what a forum is - a discussion. If you adopt this "formatted forum" concept you are removing the ability to discuss.

If anything this should be an extension, not core - in fact I believe that there is at least one extension that provides this functionality.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:35 pm

yes, this, as well as the others you just posted, should all be extensions and not core additions. nothing wrong with any of your ideas but they are just not needed in the core of a bulletin board system like phpbb.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

thebirdman23

Post by thebirdman23 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Between the different ideas I posted today, this one felt especially 'out there' and seems to fit the 'should be an extension' bill more than the rest.
It is sometimes hard to decide what should be considered an extension or not. This is often compounded when you feel like that idea could serve many different purposes and benefit a large majority of users. Again, this idea was the odd-ball for me today. Let's see what the votes say!

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:10 am

The downside of all these "fields" is: they can't be found thru the board search. Post text and subject however can be found. If I want to filter a "market" forum to things I'm interested you have nothing to offer there - I'd have to manually browse thru hundreds of pages myself.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”