I'd like Ban Hammer type function and spammers should be treated differently than normal users. Ideally IMO a one click function would:
- Move or delete all their posts with a warning if someone else replied in their topic or in existing topic so that can be addressed.
- If there is any messages in their outbox they are converted to "User who sent this message was removed as spammer".
- Ban the username, email and optionally the IP.
- These bans should be separate than normal users, provide a configuration to purge them. e.g. purge the email address after X amount of time.
- On the "are you sure you want to" page list the username, email and some other stats to help prevent accidental removal.
IP bans are minimally useful, if you have spam bot running amok on your site from single IP and multiple accounts or troll who is clueless about IP's. Use them sparingly and limit their time. Email bans at the very least keep them working at getting new ones. If you ban a user in phpBB by default their email is banned unless you allow reuse of email addresses. If this did not exist the bots would be programmed to exploit it.