Ancient Viking
Posted:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:42 am
Rating:
New
Ancient Viking

Improved Moderation

Post by Ancient Viking » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:42 am

I am surprised to notice that very little have changed in phpBB 3.2 from phpBB 3.0 regarding the structure of moderation.

What I mean is what TWC has (running vBulletin 4.2.5 and recently upgraded a lot of software plus added the SSL protocol), maybe a moderation addon, and I find it a lot better in comparison to how it is in phpBB.

So, how do I know? Well, being a moderator on TWC I should know don't I.

Anyway, below is a break down what benefits the moderation structure on TWC has and after that what phpBB has.

In vBulletin

-All reported posts are automatically copied into a separate thread in a specific subforum e.g Report Discussions and each report are discussed internally within the moderation before any action is taken e.g set by a prefix (No Action Taken or Other Actions Taken or Consultation Required etc etc)

-If a member have violated the Terms of Service (ToS) then a moderator will issue a moderation note (first time ToS violation) or issue an infraction, which itself are copied into a separate thread in another subforum e.g Infractions Discussion or PM Conversions (almost every communication via PM with members is posted in that PM Conversion subforum)

phpBB

-In comparison to vBulletin phpBB does not have much IMO and that doesn't make it easier for a phpBB forum moderator (not a local moderator)

Sometimes I miss that and even if a once were a moderator on GHF 8 years ago I remember how it was back then and still is today in phpBB 3.2.

This makes me wonder. Are the aspects of moderation neglected in phpBB?

Personally, I believe it is neglected and I think it's time to change that. Whether it's an extension or adding it to the core files directly it doesn't matter the moderation structure really needs to be improved if people wants to use phpBB in the future.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!

warmweer

Re: Improved Moderation

Post by warmweer » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:17 pm

Ancient Viking wrote:
What I mean is what TWC has (running vBulletin 4.2.5 and recently upgraded a lot of software plus added the SSL protocol), maybe a moderation addon, and I find it a lot better in comparison to how it is in phpBB.
and what has upgrading a lot of software to to with "The idea"?
Also, what does SSL have to do with moderation?
Ancient Viking wrote:
-All reported posts are automatically copied into a separate thread in a specific subforum e.g Report Discussions and each report are discussed internally within the moderation before any action is taken e.g set by a prefix (No Action Taken or Other Actions Taken or Consultation Required etc etc)
Ever heard of the Newly Registered Group?
Ancient Viking wrote:
-If a member have violated the Terms of Service (ToS) then a moderator will issue a moderation note (first time ToS violation) or issue an infraction, which itself are copied into a separate thread in another subforum e.g Infractions Discussion or PM Conversions (almost every communication via PM with members is posted in that PM Conversion subforum)
Something similar can be done with an extension (read only topics started by yourself).
Ancient Viking wrote:
-In comparison to vBulletin phpBB does not have much IMO and that doesn't make it easier for a phpBB forum moderator (not a local moderator)
What is the difference between a forum moderator and a local moderator? (in phpBB terms?).
Ancient Viking wrote:
Personally, I believe it is neglected and I think it's time to change that. Whether it's an extension or adding it to the core files directly it doesn't matter the moderation structure really needs to be improved if people wants to use phpBB in the future.
And the idea is? meaning: explicit proposals.
With the information supplied there is nothing really to vote for (nor against).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 pm

and if you are going to give examples for comparison it would help if you linked to them. I have no idea what TWC or GHF are.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 pm

@warmweer: You clearly haven't read my post hence for the misunderstanding here, so I'll try to explain.

First, what TWC (Total War Center) has is a moderation structure that's a lot more improved than what phpBB ever had.

Second, sure I know about the Newly Registered group, but did I even mention the Newly Registered group in the OP. Hmm, did I?

I did not mentioned the Newly Registered group you did, which has nothing to do what my idea is all about. Absolutely nothing!

Third, another misunderstanding about what I am trying to say here and what I meant was is what moderation procedure a moderator on phpBB forum needs to do when I compare it with what moderation procedure a moderator on TWC needs to do, which are a major difference between a phpBB forum and a vBulletin forum such as TWC.

I also know what moderation tools a phpBB moderator have and when I compare it with what moderation tools a moderator on TWC have at their disposal. Which is the main of why I think the moderation structure in phpBB had been neglected for years.

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 pm
and if you are going to give examples for comparison it would help if you linked to them. I have no idea what TWC or GHF are.
Sorry, no link as it's hidden from regular members and guests. But I'll try to describe what I mean.

When I was a moderator on GHF for a short period of time I learned that every time a post was reported we in staff needed to first close the thread then move the post into the staff room and once that was done re-open the closed thread (just to avoid futher posts were made). Only then could a moderation discussion begin in the staff room and that ended when a decision was made about the reported post. I also believe that is exactly the same as it was 8 years ago, so nothing have changed over all these years.

Now, nothing what I had to do on GHF needs to be done on TWC due for better moderation structure and this is what happen after a member, any member, have submitted a report.

1. A new thread is automatically posted in a Report Discussion subforum with the reporting member as OP.
2. The report has information about what reason for reporting the post and the whole post, inlcuding who is the poster, that is reported with a link to the actual post.

Nothing of this exist in phpBB and the only thing phpBB does after one have reported a post is to high light the post with all information a phpBB moderator needs to know about. That's about it when it comes to moderation in phpBB.

GHF stands for Great House Fliggerty and TWC stands for Total War Center.

I hope this makes it clearer for you. If not then feel free to post your questions and I'll try to answer.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:23 am

I think that the title of this idea is a bit misleading as it is not about moderation but about reporting which is why there has been some misunderstanding.

As I see this I would suggest that it is more suitable to be an extension as this is a niche requirement and certainly not something that is either wanted or needed on many boards. (I was actually working on this a while back, but ran out of time - must try and revisit it)

On my board when a post is reported then a moderator makes a decision on what action to take, there is no need for a major discussion about it - but I can accept that in some circumstances this may be needed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:15 am

Ancient Viking wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 pm
@warmweer: You clearly haven't read my post hence for the misunderstanding here, so I'll try to explain.
Oh, but I have, thrice even and I found no real proposals.
Ancient Viking wrote:
I did not mentioned the Newly Registered group you did, which has nothing to do what my idea is all about. Absolutely nothing!
Actually, It does (but I wasn't clear about it).
The principle of the NRG can be copied to a new group and anyone added to that new group could be given limited access to the forums, e.g. with an extensions given only access to a forum specifically for the reported posts, where thay can only see and interact with their own topics. Come to think of it the NRG-system isn't even necessary - I even have a similar system on one of my boards without the NRG. (so I admit that was too hasty). A report is copied to a dedicated forum and then moderators and the offending poster can interact.
Ancient Viking wrote:
1. A new thread is automatically posted in a Report Discussion subforum with the reporting member as OP.
2. The report has information about what reason for reporting the post and the whole post, inlcuding who is the poster, that is reported with a link to the actual post.
OK, THAT is a proposal and could be useful, but: it's the automatic creation of a new topic which is really new, and seriously: I have a feeling that will create too many extra topics (unless reporting can only be done by moderators).
Last edited by warmweer on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:21 am

Reports aren't that full flexed because phpBB is a BB and not an ITS.

I've modified my installation for reports having one more status ("on hold", mostly to signal someone's working on it). On a picture board one of the report reasons is "pictures links dead/offline" - choosing that will also let you tick those from the reported post which are meant (to be less vague than "any of all pictures") and it automatically sends a PM to the post author (so he's informed of the situation, too). Letting members (why only moderators - why not also the report author) discuss reports in a separate thread could be easily done without having it as a feature (if it's needed that often at all).

User notes/warnings can be done in phpBB since 3.0, and moderators can also read all of them. Again: if a separate thread is needed, it can easily be done. My installation has a forum for moderators, so topics created there are invisible for regular members - one can easily discuss or document things in there with all the advantages of post/topic/forum features that individual features lack (i.e. you're unable to easily search in reports).
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”